6.5 x 284 vs. 6.5 SAUM

How can a rifle chambered in 6.5x284 that shoots the exact same bullet at a slower speed than another rifle chambered in 6.5 SAUM "hit harder farther"?
I got confused, My buddy shoots a 6.5x.300 not a 6.5x.284 . Replace every time I used 6.5x.284 with 6.5x.300. His does hit harder, farther than my saum. But honest mistake on my part.

Congratulations! I was in the exact same position and chose the 6.5 SAUM as well...with the added caveat that I wanted a short action. My logic went something like this. I do not reload because I just cannot spend the time, if I want to squeeze in everything else that matters to me. In addition, I'm spending tens of thousands a year on my hunting hobby including the best optics, the best outfitters, the best lightweight gear of every kind, hundreds of hours a year on physical conditioning, shooting, scouting, attending conventions etc., and several thousands more on a top shelf custom rifle with carbon fiber and titanium all over it, built by the most talented gunsmith I could find...and I'm not going to choose the best performing 6.5 cartridge because custom loads "cost too much"? Hmm. For me, the once in a lifetime hunts that I save up for years to go on warrant the best equipment I can find and pay for...like the guy who says "if you can afford this car, you can afford the gas." So, I decided to get a SAUM and have the best people I could find develop custom loads for it to extract every drop of tiny little gnats *** groups of which it is capable. The total cost of the ammo is less than the combined cost my 4oz bipod and my gun case. "Needed", probably not. A fun obsession that gives me a slight edge, or at least the feeling of one...hell yes!

PRC ammo is likely to be widely available soon. I had trouble even getting a set of Redding dies for it due to the recent high demand, according to Redding. You can't say that about the SAUM which will probably decrease in popularity due to the interest in the PRC cartridges. But, that's just my opinion.

If I were in your shoes; I'd go 6.5PRC.

The 6.5 Saum will give you an easy 100-200 FPS more than the 6.5x284 if you consider 6.5x284 velocites at 2950-3000 with a 140, the saum is more difficult to form as you have to neck it down, barrel life should be less with the Saum than the 6.5x284 I cannot verify this as I have only just got mine.

All depends what you want it for, if It's for regular F class (long range) I would not use either! any of the 7mm from the .284 up to the 7/270WSM will do a better job, i have mine as an experiment to push the limits and see if a 6.5 at speed can compete with a 7mm (i have a 7mm Saum barrel as well)

The jury is still out, I will use it at long range shortly and see what happens.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.