6.5 x 284 vs. 6.5 SAUM

If your looking for a 6.5 and you don't handload like myself go with a
6.5-284 as there's a few companies loading for it now, or go to the 6.5 PRC as it's going to be a very popular cartridge with available head stamped brass and factory ammo available, I have a custom 6.5-284 built and just collecting the parts for my 6.5 PRC, should be an outstanding cartridge.

I shoot the 6.5x284 with Nolser 140gr. accubond and get under 3/8" grouping. It is a custom rifle but this factory ammo does the job.

As it was stated earlier, for hunting with factory ammo in 6.5mm..... go with the 264 Win Mag. With better (cooler) powders and improved bullets, you will spend a life time shooting a couple of boxes a year without needing to re-barrel. I currently shoot the 6.5 SAUM and love it (handload, of course).

Purely my opinion, both pretty awesome, Ive seen both in set ups that shoot really far and really accurate, the 6.5x.284 hits harder farther

The PRC seems easier to get stuff for and cheaper, no experience with it but from reading is pretty even with the SAUM

As it was stated earlier, for hunting with factory ammo in 6.5mm..... go with the 264 Win Mag. With better (cooler) powders and improved bullets, you will spend a life time shooting a
Couple of boxes a year without needing to re-barrel. I currently shoot the 6.5 SAUM and love it (handload, of course).

The only problems with cooler powders in the 264wm you can get a big air void over the top of the powder and can get a weird powder burn. I have a 264wm and loaded to the max there is a good air gap between powder and bullet. I'm building a 6.5saum as well.

I'm the guy that's going to go out and say if you are not reloading, already have a 6.5 creedmoor,......then I would say your next best bet is a 7mm rem mag.

Purely my opinion, both pretty awesome, Ive seen both in set ups that shoot really far and really accurate, the 6.5x.284 hits harder farther

The PRC seems easier to get stuff for and cheaper, no experience with it but from reading is pretty even with the SAUM

How can a rifle chambered in 6.5x284 that shoots the exact same bullet at a slower speed than another rifle chambered in 6.5 SAUM "hit harder farther"?

s

Yea I'm.not sure how you can say the 6.5x284 hits harder and farther then the 6.5saum when it's moving 150+fps faster then the 6.5x284. Also you have a more efficient powder burn with the 6.5saum then you do with the 6.5x284.

s
Yea I'm.not sure how you can say the 6.5x284 hits harder and farther then the 6.5saum when it's moving 150+fps faster then the 6.5x284. Also you have a more efficient powder burn with the 6.5saum then you do with the 6.5x284.
I got confused, My buddy shoots a 6.5x.300 not a 6.5x.284 . Replace every time I used 6.5x.284 with 6.5x.300. His does hit harder, farther than my saum. But honest mistake on my part.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.