6.5 x 284 vs. 6.5 SAUM

Xtremetj

Which one would you choose for a hunting rifle? I already have a 6.5 CM. I'll be using the Hornady 143 e-ldx or 140 Berger.

Considering a Cooper 6.5x284 or a custom 6.5 SAUM.

Which one would you choose for a hunting rifle? I already have a 6.5 CM. I'll be using the Hornady 143 e-ldx or 140 Berger.

Considering a Cooper 6.5x284 or a custom 6.5 SAUM.

Both built in a short action and loaded to an OAL for repeater use the 6.5 SAUM will probably shoot around 100 fps faster but if you build both in a long action the fps advantage of the SAUM will be considerably narrowed up.

Brass quality as well as availability, definitely goes to the 6.5-284 though.

The problem is I don't reload.

I am planning on buying factory ammo for the 6.5x284 and was going to buy ammo from CoppeCreek for the SAUM or the guy I'm buying the SAUM from will reload for me.

Thoughts?

This can be a drawback considering the cartridges which you want to shoot. Josh is a great supplier of top quality ammunition and some, if not all of the Hornady factory ammunition is excellent also. But there are limitation such as price and variations of loads available. Hornady, as with all factory ammunition, has neutered the PRC by the lawyer loads it sells. Josh can work with you and will until you get what you're looking for. But it will cost dollars because of time and labor, as it should.

If I was ever in your position, I wouldn't hesitate to run with the .264 Win. Mag. There is a good selection of factory ammunition, reasonably priced. And bear in mind, no matter what the naysayers post, this cartridge is no longer a barrel burner with the advent of new, colder burning powders and better steel.

Regards.

I second that opinion.
The speed and trajectory of the 264WM hasn't failed me yet.... Although, since I'm a small framed man, it did hurt me until I installed a new KICKEEZ pad, but it has never failed me. LOL

I have a saum currently and had a 6.5x284. The saum was a custom build I did and the 6.5x284 was a factory savage rifle. I reloaded for both. the saum definitely is a really flat shooting round but the 6.5x284 is no slouch either. After I built the saum I sold the 6.5x284 and that should tell you something. the down side to the saum is brass quality and availability. You can get 6.5 gap headstamp brass from g a precision. It's hornady brass and I'm not overly impressed with it. I also have some Norma brass. The Norma brass would consistantly shoot 70 - 100 fps faster with the same charge weight and bullet. I loaded some 85 grain bullets to see how fast I could get them to go. I ran them to right at 3600 fps with good accuracy. I was a little impressed I also ran 140 bergers to 3280. Both with Norma brass. I use a magnetospeed and it's pretty accurate. Personally I would go with the saum or wait for the prc. The prc will be a good option for a non reloader. All and all it really what your going to do with it. Lots of people have really good results with a 6.5x284 at long range. If you don't need the little extra performance of a saum then there is no point in going that route. It's all about what you want to do. Personally I really like my saum for what it's worth.

I am planning on buying factory ammo for the 6.5x284 and was going to buy ammo from CoppeCreek for the SAUM or the guy I'm buying the SAUM from will reload for me.

Thoughts?
Well if you're not reloading then neither of those are what you want. 6.5saum has to be reloaded since it's not a factory rnd. And the 6.5/284 has limited options for factory loads. Nosler, Norma and HMS are your only options that I've seen. and you'll have to either order other or go to a place like Cabelas to get it.

Just purchased my first batch of ammo from Copper Creek for my new Fierce Edge in 6.5 x 284. Figured I would run some factory ammo through it and get some brass while seasoning the barrel. The pricing is a little steep but after 100 rounds they give you the load data. Seems fair to me. Do to the cost of ammo these days I am not sure how anyone can afford to shoot factory ammo. You have to get into reloading, the money you will save will pay for the reloading equipment in the long run!

X, you don't have to buy and reload yourself. Get a couple of hunting buds and split the cost. You each have to buy dies for your caliber, but you might be able to share powders and bullets. It also makes a get together night to load ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.