6.5 StaBall Powder

I use it in my 300WSM with interesting results. It is about 150FPS slower than 7828 was but it shoots phenomenally consistent groups. I chase accuracy over velocity for that rifle so I stick with the StaBall.
Also seems very temp stable, shot it down to -10 and it worked perfectly, no change in POI.

It is filthy, that's for sure, I clean my muzzle brake every 15 shots or so.

Don't go into it expecting velocity gains, but I wouldn't dump it if you haven't at least tried it.

Lots of interesting comments. I've used it now in 243, 6.5 Creed using 140gr AccuBonds and 143gr ELD-X, and 30-06 using 165gr & 180gr AccuBonds. Once the correct loads were determined per rifle I've been very happy with this powder. It's not H4350. But, nothing else is either. Purchased it to test as a possible replacement for H4350.

As you know, we bring up active duty airmen to learn reloading and build teams. If we can grab 8lb containers of H4350 I will. This has been rare. All we seem to catch are the 1lb. I can usually find the StaBall in the 8lb containers locally and online. They are also selling fast now.

Hit or Miss.

Good/OK in 6.5 CM with 130's & 6mm CM with 105's, but any of the 4350's are better. Upon reading this, I will load some StaBall .22-.250 loads with 75's. Given a choice at any of the LGS' I would grab a can of any of the 4350's instead of Staball.

Remington 7 1/2 primers (small rifle primer) work better than CCI 41's in the 6.5 & 6mm CM with Staball and I have many more small rifle primers than large rifle primers.

The sad reality seems to be that no extruded powders like the 4350's are made in the USA.

Ram Shot Hunter performs well in the .22-.250 with 75's and hopefully StaBall will be as good.

I have loaded .22-.250 loads with: 75 H hpbt - 36.0 (5), 36.5 (5), 37.0 (5), StaBall for next trip to range.

Last edited:
What is anyone using 6.5 StaBall in reloading and your results.
we purchased some when it was available just because it was available and always thinking ahead might be something we could use as a substitute for a Powder we can't find.
question for anyone do you like it and what are you reloading in?
Should we keep it or pass along to someone that truly used it and needs it.
We have some inventory that may need to be relinquished.
Thanks much
Len and Jill
I've run it in 22&6 creedmoor. Shoots fantastic meters awesome. I had nasty pressure spikes developing max hand loads in cool weather then shooting in 90* weather but it's my fault. Seem a tad dirty as well.

Looking to use in a 260 and 243 .for sure
Possibly 6.5x284. Don't know about 6.5prc. Maybe even the a baby 6.5 Creed.
All I can say is that works with velocities accuracy and the
Foot lbs sre another story
I just loaded up 10 with 44 gr. Under 87 gr. Hornady vmax , 243 bullets
and 10 with 38 gr. IMR 4064 , which is the load my rifle likes .
The 6.5 shoot a couple a 3/4 inch groups at 100 yds , same as my 4064 groups . I didn't have my chronograph with me to check out velocity.

I bought a bunch to load for the Creedmoor when I couldn't find any other powders. It worked but I ended up switching to H4350 when available as it started causing carbon rings.

Going forward I plan on using it in the .22-250 and as a less temp sensitive replacement for Superformance in my standard .30-06 loads.

Its a great powder as long as you load it near max and full capacity in case. It has bad ES for me if not loaded full case. I am using in 6.5 cm and 243 speed and groups are great. When working up a load you will be scratching your head at speed numbers as they jump around. But when you start getting near max it starts shinning.

StaBall is a great powder for cases that are on the small side for caliber. For example, it packs well in a 338 WinMag and gives both accuracy and velocity when loaded about 50fps more than H4350. I've also found some good loads for the 375 Ruger and 270 Winchester. All of these cartridges are good with the 4350-4831 range, but can run out of capacity. StaBall is able to match some of my compressed loads with R16 or H4350, and without heavy compression.