New winchester STaBALL 6.5 powder

One thing I'd like to see done during a temp test is the gun kept at the same temp as ammo. Cold ammo, cold bore and vice versa
That's the way I test my LR hunting rifles. Not that hard to do in Tennessee. One day last year, I was able to test from 70° down to 30° in the same day. I just left guns, ammo and chronograph set up on the back porch for about 12 hours. When the temp dropped 10° I'd go out and shoot a series. I eventually tested from 20° to 90°

ambient temp is the only way to get repeatable results. I don't care how long you warm or freeze your ammo if you put it in a chamber at the other extreme the ammo changes temp very quick and results will be off

Seems the easy way to test true temp stability is take the gun and ammo put in a freezer for say 2 hrs, shoot it and record velocity, then put both in a hot car and do it again! To me that's real world testing.

Why don't the people who "tested" the 6.5 Staball and said it was not as advertised send their methods and results to Hodgdon and ask that the powder be recalled and ask for a refund?

Last edited:
Why don't the people who "tested" the 6.5 Staball and said it was not as advertised send their methods and results to Hodgdon and ask that the powder be recalled and ask for a refund?
Has anyone tried this powder using Mag primers? I ask because I have seen a number of recommendations for Mag primers when useing Ball powders such as H414 in cold temperatures. This would, of course, require starting with min charge and working up towards max load. Just curious.

Has anyone tried this powder using Mag primers? I ask because I have seen a number of recommendations for Mag primers when useing Ball powders such as H414 in cold temperatures. This would, of course, require starting with min charge and working up towards max load. Just curious.
Yes, my wife used handloads of the 200 ELD-X, Win LRM primers and StaBall for a winter bison hunt. Rifle and ammo were at ambient temp (just above zero) for 2 hours. Hit dead on at 108 yards with a 100 yard zero. Found bullet under off hide and it weighed 122gr. Massive internal trauma. I built the loads in August at approximately 60 degrees and have had no issues so far. They worked well in a caribou at the time. So in my experience I'd say with mag primer it seems pretty stable over a 60ish degree span.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.