New winchester STaBALL 6.5 powder

Just spent a little time on the Hodgdon site. This stuff looks very interesting. Some great velocities with "normal" length test barrels and twists. They don't list the 243 but have all the other sixes. The 22-250 has some nice speeds with lighter bullets. All the medium calibers look great.

I have 8lbs and so far played with two cartridges.
Poured some in the Dillon 550 and loaded some 6.5 Creedmoor's with 143gr ELDX and shot two 4 shot groups. I was just checking to see how consistent the thrower would throw and how consistent the velocity would be. For 8 shots ES was 31 fps so not bad for thrown loads. First group was just shy of 1 inch second was under 1/2 inch. My load was just tad under Hodgdon max and speed was 2650 range from a Tikka TAC 1.

I have worked up a load that seems really pretty solid for my 22 Creedmoor as well. Going to run a few more tomorrow thru it just to verify but its holding 1/2 MOA with 75Gr VLD's and speed is hanging with Reloder 26.

Was reading through the 2020 Hodgdon manual and most interesting load for it was the 7mm/08 gaining almost 200fps over the other popular powders for it

upload_2020-1-1_11-56-33.png

I have 8lbs and so far played with two cartridges.
Poured some in the Dillon 550 and loaded some 6.5 Creedmoor's with 143gr ELDX and shot two 4 shot groups. I was just checking to see how consistent the thrower would throw and how consistent the velocity would be. For 8 shots ES was 31 fps so not bad for thrown loads. First group was just shy of 1 inch second was under 1/2 inch. My load was just tad under Hodgdon max and speed was 2650 range from a Tikka TAC 1.

I have worked up a load that seems really pretty solid for my 22 Creedmoor as well. Going to run a few more tomorrow thru it just to verify but its holding 1/2 MOA with 75Gr VLD's and speed is hanging with Reloder 26.
Any chance you could post your data for 22 Creed? I emailed Hodgdon and so far no reply. Thanks!

The last test I got results from had StaBall as no more stable than older powders and markedly less temp stable than H4350 (like a ton). Might have been an oddity of the case size in use but it wasn't looking like the miracle powder that works miracles from my POV.

Any chance you could post your data for 22 Creed? I emailed Hodgdon and so far no reply. Thanks!

Worked up to 43.5 gr with 75 gr Berger VLD..I have a 21 inch barrel and speed is plus or minus 3300fps.... YMMV

I just got some Speer .30 190 Impact bullets and they have a load for 6.5StaBall powder that looks pretty good as well. Cannot find any around my neck of woods though.

I am wondering now if all these temp stable powders can increase carbon fouling? I never had carbon fouling until I started using RL16, L26 etc. Just curious if we need to think about changing the frequency how often we clean as these powders keep coming out. If anyone is using 6.5StaBall it will be interesting to hear a report back IF there is carbon buildup in shorter time frame than normal.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.