Staball Powder

I appreciate this thread being resurrected, as I am planning to try some STABall for a couple cartridges. In addition to the small stuff, the posted results with the 212 ELD in the 30-06 look promising for the 200 partition.
I'd be interested if anyone else has learned more about this powder in the intervening decade that they can share.

Cheers and thanks,
Rex

It takes a lot of patches to clean.i was using butch's bore shine and hopp's we bore scoped and found a little place of copper then used bore tech copper cleaner and regular then bore scope and the copper was gone but still had a couple of black streaks never had this black streak with imr 4831

Attachments

• B8606E30-E1B6-4EF5-A38A-5C03490E4BBC.jpeg
    B8606E30-E1B6-4EF5-A38A-5C03490E4BBC.jpeg
    868.4 KB · Views: 99
It takes a lot of patches to clean.i was using butch's bore shine and hopp's we bore scoped and found a little place of copper then used bore tech copper cleaner and regular then bore scope and the copper was gone but still had a couple of black streaks never had this black streak with imr 4831
Please remind us, what cartridge were you shooting it in?

I bought SB 6.5 hoping to replace HSP in a 270 win and 280 Rem. It has equaled the velocities of the HSP. In the 270 it didn't meet the accuracy of the HSP. In the 280 it exceeded it.

I've also used it in 257R, 6.5x55, 6.5-06, and 6.5PRC. It's just like any other powder from my experience: sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. A friend has excellent results in a 6.5 CM and 143's.

Now that my PRC barrel has settled in I going to try it again.

Wha
I bought SB 6.5 hoping to replace HSP in a 270 win and 280 Rem. It has equaled the velocities of the HSP. In the 270 it didn't meet the accuracy of the HSP. In the 280 it exceeded it.

I've also used it in 257R, 6.5x55, 6.5-06, and 6.5PRC. It's just like any other powder from my experience: sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. A friend has excellent results in a 6.5 CM and 143's.

Now that my PRC barrel has settled in I going to try it again.
Bullets and weight did you use in the 280

I just looked again and don't see staball and 280 Rem for any Bullets on Hodgdon website you would think 🤔 it would be up there if superformance is.if it doesn't rain to hard Sunday I going to give it a shot with 139 sst's and speer hot core flat base 130
Look at the 270 info beings the powder column is almost identical

I'm not sure how comfortable you are with burn charts but check where it falls with Hybrid. Then look at the 270 data and compare Hybrid to SB6.5......now look at the 280 for Hybrid.

I'm not sure how comfortable you are with burn charts but check where it falls with Hybrid. Then look at the 270 data and compare Hybrid to SB6.5......now look at the 280 for Hybrid.
just want to be safe.i don't understand why 280 has 5000psi less pressure but i down load for 30-06 and don't think it would cause any problems to start lower than the 270 starting point using staball and work up.5 at a time. I am using a ruger no.1.I just have it in my mind that it might be just what the 280 needs to get 140-150 grain Bullets up and running .Thanks for the input .this is the best bad idea we have

just want to be safe.i don't understand why 280 has 5000psi less pressure but i down load for 30-06 and don't think it would cause any problems to start lower than the 270 starting point using staball and work up.5 at a time. I am using a ruger no.1.I just have it in my mind that it might be just what the 280 needs to get 140-150 grain Bullets up and running .Thanks for the input .this is the best bad idea we have
Heading out to get more Bullets for my stocking

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.