6.5 ss final design

I got thinking about my above post and actually, the 350 remmy would not be the best donor. I say this because I am pretty sure it is the same length action as the new Model seven which is shorter than a regular 700 SA. This would limit your coal with the long bullets in the SS. The 700 sa would be a better way to go. The savage action is even longer than the 700, so that works very well with the long bullets......Rich
It's an old 700 BDL but in .350 RemMag, which I would imagine would be the same as all the other 700 SA's...Or did the .350 RemMag get some sort of weird treatment by Remington?

It's an old 700 BDL but in .350 RemMag, which I would imagine would be the same as all the other 700 SA's...Or did the .350 RemMag get some sort of weird treatment by Remington?

They got weird treatment!:D The 600 and 660 models which they chambered in 6.5 and 350 RM, were the same action as the current model 7 and are SHORT! It was the main reason for the 6.5 and 350 RM, which were ahead of there time, to fail. They had a very short throat, and the bullets had to be seated WAY into the case so that capacity was seriously reduced. The 6.5 RM at the time was way short of velocity for what currently is being produced with the long action or single feeding. This is also why the 6.5 SS is better than a 4s or even a saum:D...........Rich

What would you charge me for 100 pcs of pre-formed brass, just to get started? :D

You know, if I do end up with the rifles and get the cash to buy a barrel blank and dies, of course... :cool:

I have actually considered doing pre formed SS brass. If I did, they would probably be around $2 ea. for Norma...........Rich

They got weird treatment!:D The 600 and 660 models which they chambered in 6.5 and 350 RM, were the same action as the current model 7 and are SHORT! It was the main reason for the 6.5 and 350 RM, which were ahead of there time, to fail. They had a very short throat, and the bullets had to be seated WAY into the case so that capacity was seriously reduced. The 6.5 RM at the time was way short of velocity for what currently is being produced with the long action or single feeding. This is also why the 6.5 SS is better than a 4s or even a saum:D...........Rich
Shouldn't I be able to put a new 700 SA SAUM/WSM mag box and follower in there, and still keep the same bottom metal? I'd imagine the stocks and BM would be the same as a standard BDL SA...

The smith will still already have to open the BF up, and I'd have to replace the mag box and open up the feed rails anyway, since the action is for a magnum, not a ultra magnum. The whole thing is pretty much gonna have to be reworked, anyway, right?

Hi Riley! Well then, maybe if enough people are interested, my enthusiasm will increase..........Rich
You don't have any used or 1/2 shot out 6.5 SS barrels laying around that you might could let go of pretty cheap, do you?

If so, the demand could increase on my end very quickly. :D

Shouldn't I be able to put a new 700 SA SAUM/WSM mag box and follower in there, and still keep the same bottom metal? I'd imagine the stocks and BM would be the same as a standard BDL SA...

The smith will still already have to open the BF up, and I'd have to replace the mag box and open up the feed rails anyway, since the action is for a magnum, not a ultra magnum. The whole thing is pretty much gonna have to be reworked, anyway, right?

I think the bolt is actually shorter? Someone might help me out with that............

You don't have any used or 1/2 shot out 6.5 SS barrels laying around that you might could let go of pretty cheap, do you?

If so, the demand could increase on my end very quickly. :D

As a matter of fact, I have been thinking about a different contour on my current
ss. It is a fluted Benchmark 5r, #5, 8 twist, 26" with 300 and some rounds through it..........Rich

As a matter of fact, I have been thinking about a different contour on my current
ss. It is a fluted Benchmark 5r, #5, 8 twist, 26" with 300 and some rounds through it..........Rich
Hey, used dies, used brass, used barrel....Used prices...."Jetzt sind Sie meine Sprache." :D

Seriously, shoot me a PM. We'll see what we can come up with, incase I do get those rifles. Do you do any of your own smith work? If so, I might could just send you my action and let you screw the new tube on it, and do the necessary work for making it all work "right" and fix all of the "weird treatment" stank that Remington had to do to it from the factory. LOL

Hey Rich, did you ever find out anymore info on the .350 RemMag actions? I'm still waiting on positive answers before telling this guy if I wanna trade him or not.

I am seriously thinking about head stamped brass, with all the interest in this cartridge, but it isn't cheap! It could be close to $3/ea. So my question is; how many would be interested at this cost?.............Rich

rich

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.