6.5 creed 124HH final load

snox801

Ok so I think I found where I'm stoping.
I ended with 41gr varget in lapua brass.
124HH running 2896fps out of a 22" tube.
Had no sign of pressure and was getting steady 10fps gains every.2gr jump up.
2896fps
SD- 5.6
5 shot group .492"
I could probably chase more but I bet I find pressure soon after that or groups would open.
May visit more speed later but I think I'm doing great for my barrel length.
Anyone doing better?

****!!! blow mine away!!!!!! I had jack Lyons build mine. He built my creed and then a load. Has H4350 at 44 and ran 2850 I think and .6 groups at 28 degrees. Came down here in south Texas and it opened to 1.5 inches. So I'll be using your info and start low and build up to get my HH to run like that. Steve told me varget was good in the creedmore.

Ya mine is built by pierce engineering and shot factory ammo great. After break in I do the hammer and I have to say every single load shoots under .75" from the lowest to the highest. The hammers seem to not care. I have not even adjusted seating depth. I'm sure the rifle and load could do better but I know I can't. It's a ultra light and is hard to shoot. Plus I'm not that good to start with.

*Rule 4 Violation*!!! blow mine away!!!!!! I had jack Lyons build mine. He built my creed and then a load. Has H4350 at 44 and ran 2850 I think and .6 groups at 28 degrees. Came down here in south Texas and it opened to 1.5 inches. So I'll be using your info and start low and build up to get my HH to run like that. Steve told me varget was good in the creedmore.
Even with a temp stable powder you will likely need to drop your load a 1/2gr or so when going to a much hotter place.
I do most of my load development in the summer and to stay in the same accuracy node I have to up my loads when it gets cold.

I do all mine at 40-50 so I'm usually I. The ballpark. Then I will leave the ammo in my truck with the heat running and get them nice and hot. Then test for over pressure.
I try and also use temp stable. But it still moves a bit.

Took me 6 rounds to develop the 124 HH load for my 6.5x47. Loaded up 41.5 gr of H4350 at 20 thou off. DONE. Used the same powder charge I was using for the 130 Accubond. Friend of mine borrowed my gun for a Wyoming antelope hunt and killed one at about 200 yds. Buck never moved, twitched or anything DRT. Only one sample, but so far I like what I see. No chronograph data yet. But my 130 Accubond was going 2850 fps. So the Hammer should be faster.

They for sure kill. I have a decent pile of deer and hogs behind my old load for break in of 38.8gr varget. Also have an audad. Nothing goes very far if at all when hit. They have perfect performance.

I'm kinda curious as to how some of these guys are getting the speeds they are with the creed. Some guys are getting more speed with a 140 than I am with a 124gr.
Is it really the rl26 or are a lot of these been pushed a bit to hard but they feel comfortable with it?
I see some guys having big velocity swings with rl26 is that true for anyone here? If so sounds like a was of time for a hunting round.

I'm kinda curious as to how some of these guys are getting the speeds they are with the creed. Some guys are getting more speed with a 140 than I am with a 124gr.
Is it really the rl26 or are a lot of these been pushed a bit to hard but they feel comfortable with it?
I see some guys having big velocity swings with rl26 is that true for anyone here? If so sounds like a was of time for a hunting round.
Could be the difference in bearing surface

Those 124 gr Hammer Hunters are impressive aren't they?
6.5 CM 124gr Hammer Hunter.JPG
I'm using them in a Tikka T3x superlite 6.5 CM. Load development was super easy. Ended up at 40.1 grains of Varget in Nosler case which is giving 2925 fps and consistent .25 MOA groups.

Some of it has to do with brass, but rl-26 is pretty impressive stuff. My old load used to be a 140 at 2950+ in my 26in. I just did a small experiment with the 150 smk and I pushed that over 2875 with no pressure signs visible. Rl-16 has been a good performer. My PRS and general target load is 40.5 grains in Peterson of asg brass with a 140 eld @ 2775. I lose a good but of velocity with that brass over hornady. In hornady I was running the same powder but getting 2875. With the 130 berger I ran just north of 3000 fps in ADG brass. Would've been more like 3050 if I used hornady. I never shoot anything that I think is going to remotely cause issue. First sign of an ejector mark or sticky bolt lift and I back off.

Well I may have to go farther with my ladder saw no pressure where I was but seeing higher FPS with 140's makes me think I'm doing something wrong. Heck nimrod is 25fps faster than me win alimony a whole gr less powder. That may be brass I'm using lapua brass which I was afraid was hiding pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.