6.5 Sherman Shortmag Load Data

Rich I did not say 150 to 200 fps I said 100 to 150 fps. It was in reguard to the diffrence in velocity between the 130 vld bullets over 140 vld bullets when compaired to a simmular designed cartrage. I do know what the Sherman is. I have a close friend who has one. I personaly do not have one. Dont need or want one I have the taz. I have a round very close to the sherman in design its the .257 s.o.b ( short over bore) 7mm rem short mag shoulder pushed back blown out and necked down and yes necks turned chamber neck .287. Very accurate. But I hate 1/4 bore. I only built it for those who for some unknown reason do.

Rich I did not say 150 to 200 fps I said 100 to 150 fps. It was in reguard to the diffrence in velocity between the 130 vld bullets over 140 vld bullets when compaired to a simmular designed cartrage. I do know what the Sherman is. I have a close friend who has one. I personaly do not have one. Dont need or want one I have the taz. I have a round very close to the sherman in design its the .257 s.o.b ( short over bore) 7mm rem short mag shoulder pushed back blown out and necked down and yes necks turned chamber neck .287. Very accurate. But I hate 1/4 bore. I only built it for those who for some unknown reason do.

Thanks for the clarification and sorry for my 50' error! Sounds like we have both answered each others questions:D.......Rich

I have some H-1000 and 140 grain vlds I'm gonna try in mine. Got a call from Benchmark today, it should be mailed out tomorrow or Friday. gun)

Jeremy

I have some H-1000 and 140 grain vlds I'm gonna try in mine. Got a call from Benchmark today, it should be mailed out tomorrow or Friday. gun)

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy! Glad to hear you are close. I would just use 6.5 SAUM data to get started with H1000.......Rich

What powder and how much do you guys use to fireform brass with the cream of wheat method?

What powder and how much do you guys use to fireform brass with the cream of wheat method?

12-13 grains red dot, 17-18 grains blue dot or any equivalent fast burning powder will work just fine. I just make a dipper out of pistol brass. It doesn't have to be perfect. A few 10th's one way or the other doesn't matter. ANY primer will work. The shoulder will look a little rounded but they will square up with the first full load and they shoot fine with the round shoulders........Rich

Was just reading through this thread and noticed that I made a statement that the neck thickness issue was a "mute" point. Actually, it is a "moot" point since that is one that is irrelevant and a mute one I guess is one that you couldn't hear:D.......Rich

Rich, when going for a 'crush fit' with a false shoulder during fireforming to keep case in the same place upon firing pin strike do I do all the steps as directed, push back shoulders .1" with 7 saum die, neck turn, and then the final sizing with the 6.5 SS die is where I would back the whidden die out to get this crush fit? Or would I have to go light on my initial shoulder push back, say .095"? And then go light on the final sizing. I guess my main line of thought is, will pushing the shoulder back .1" give me a high enough shoulder to get my false shoulder?

6.5 SS.jpg

I know this thread is for load info but I had to share my new 6.5SS. It is just sexy:)
Travis does it again.
So far with the 150's and 58.5 gr of Retumbo have only gotten 2950 fps. and 1/2 moa.
Somewhat disappointing but that's what's fun about a new rifle. Trying to find what it likes.

Rich, when going for a 'crush fit' with a false shoulder during fireforming to keep case in the same place upon firing pin strike do I do all the steps as directed, push back shoulders .1" with 7 saum die, neck turn, and then the final sizing with the 6.5 SS die is where I would back the whidden die out to get this crush fit? Or would I have to go light on my initial shoulder push back, say .095"? And then go light on the final sizing. I guess my main line of thought is, will pushing the shoulder back .1" give me a high enough shoulder to get my false shoulder?

You can try either, which will work. I pushed it back a tad further so I could turn the doughnut out of the neck, but you could also do that later (if there is any). I actually did simplify the process a little just recently, and part of the change was what you mentioned. It involves pushing the shoulder back .095" and then neck turning only to 1.640" from the case head. If you send me your personal e-mail, I will send you the revised version.....Rich

Last edited:
View attachment 47219

I know this thread is for load info but I had to share my new 6.5SS. It is just sexy:)
Travis does it again.
So far with the 150's and 58.5 gr of Retumbo have only gotten 2950 fps. and 1/2 moa.
Somewhat disappointing but that's what's fun about a new rifle. Trying to find what it likes.

Love it! What's the circle on the butt of the stock? Do share your specs!
And anyone else, feel free to post your 6.5 SS's.

The circle is Travis' logo for his company. I asked him to put it on the rifle. This rifle is going on a Dall Sheep hunt in 4 months. There will be lots of pics with this rifle in it. I wanted people to see it and ask about his rifles. In my opinion he makes some of the best rifles out there. He also caters to me and the problems I create for him:).
Specs are;
Remington 700 action that was meant for the WSM cartridge but was discontinued by Remington. Travis had a connection who bought some of these when they were available and got me one. Then trued the action. Fluted the bolt and installed a jewel trigger.
Broughton 24 inch barrel 1-8 twist with the muzzle threaded for a suppressor and a thread protector installed for when the suppressor is not used. Still going through the paper work process for the suppressor.
Manners EH-2 with 100% carbon fiber shell. Painted by Travis in the pattern I chose and all the metal coated in cerakote.
Topped off with Talley rings and a Nightforce 5.5x22x50 NXS.
I have a 300 Rogue that he built for me and I wanted this 6.5ss to match it's color scheme.

Last edited:
Morning, I have custom built a 6.5 Remington Magnum. Douglas match airgage 5.5 contour, 27.5" barrel, 721 action, stock trigger, a A5 stock, adjusted trigger to 3lb. I load 108gr. Lapua OTM Senar bullets, 215 fed. primer Remington brass. 60grs. of 4831sc. gun)shoots bugholes. What case r u using to obtain the Sherman wildcat?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.