6.5 Sherman Shortmag Load Data

On fireforming with the Cream of Wheat method, I have some N350 on its way. I'm brand new to fireforming like this and have no way of knowing how much powder to use....
Also the use of wax to seal the cream of wheat in, does this make s mess to get the wax out of your bore? Or is it a non-issue?

the wheat method is very messy to shoot to fireform. there r several ways to fireform.

buy 1box of the standard ammo and hunt or shoot to fireform

buy new brass load with a reduced load to fireform and shoot

buy once fired brass fl resize the amount of rounds with a reduced load and shoot.

this is what I do.

I have a 223ai,243ai,257ai,6mmai. the last system is what I use. works great.

make sure and clean the necks, looking for cracks. in years of using this method

I have found 3 cracks in all of the cases. I shoot a lot. sometimes u can

use the loads to hunt and target shoot. check accuracy. safe and reliable.

just countrygun)

the wheat method is very messy to shoot to fireform. there r several ways to fireform.

buy 1box of the standard ammo and hunt or shoot to fireform

buy new brass load with a reduced load to fireform and shoot

buy once fired brass fl resize the amount of rounds with a reduced load and shoot.

this is what I do.

I have a 223ai,243ai,257ai,6mmai. the last system is what I use. works great.

make sure and clean the necks, looking for cracks. in years of using this method

I have found 3 cracks in all of the cases. I shoot a lot. sometimes u can

use the loads to hunt and target shoot. check accuracy. safe and reliable.

just countrygun)

These are not options with the 6.5 SS.
The cartridge is based off of the 7 mm SAUM case. It has the shoulder pushed back and the neck turned and resized to 6.5 mm.

Rob is correct that this is not an option. I have never used wax, so I can not comment on its use personally. I have always used old fashioned cow and a paper or cotton plug in the neck. I have not found cow to be particularly messy. You just have to clean the bore after you form. All you will have is a little carbon. With N550, I would try about 17 grains since it is close to Blue dot which I have used. If the shoulders are a little too round to suit you, just add a couple of grains. The shoulders will ALWAYS appear a little "Weatherby Like" until you fire a full load, but this is not a problem.......Rich

That's quite the barrel! You shoot it yet?

Yes, I got it up & running last fall. I decided to just load my brass so then I could fireform the cases & break in the barrel at the same time. I loaded 129 Interlock's, 142 SMK's, 160 Matrix's. I used 4831sc, H1000, & RL33. I had 25 Rem & 50 Norma cases. I was to say the least IMPRESSED. Everything shot less than 1moa & had some groups in the .3's. I ran the 160 matrix up to 67gr of RL33 & 2.945 coal @ 3186'. This still wasn't an excessively hot load by any means a slightly flattened primer & stiff bolt lift, but I called it Max. I backed off two grains to 65 for my next outing & called it good. Yep, 3100' & in the .3s, done. The real shocker thus far as loads is 57gr 4831sc & 129 Hornady Interlocks, real mild load @ 3060' but for some reason they just shoot great in the .2s. Had a golfball sized group on steel @ 540yds for six shots on my last outing. Go figure a flat based soft point with a canelure?? Up next are the 140 Hybrids & RL33. I also picked up some HexBN to possibly try with the 160's..

I tried the 57 gr of 4832sc and it shot great as well! Only had a few with brass that was being fireformed but it still shot well on a barrel that was being cleaned every shot until broken in.
Here is a question for Rich Sherman,
What size is the neck o. The reamer? I'm trying to do some math and figure out bushings and neck wall thicknesses. Is it .298? Or .296?

I tried the 57 gr of 4832sc and it shot great as well! Only had a few with brass that was being fireformed but it still shot well on a barrel that was being cleaned every shot until broken in.
Here is a question for Rich Sherman,
What size is the neck o. The reamer? I'm trying to do some math and figure out bushings and neck wall thicknesses. Is it .298? Or .296?

(.298").......Rich

I have found the load my rifle likes.
62.5 grains of retumbo with the Berger 140 VLD seated .007 off the lands gives 3141 fps avg. and .3 MOA.
Stretched it out to 850 yards and it has great accuracy with 3 shots that were almost on top of each other.
Outstanding for a 24 inch barrel and a 10 pound rifle.

You 6.5 SS shooters, and others, really should try RL26! I shot some again today to proof what I found last week. The ES is nothing short of amazing! These were mild loads with 140 Bergers. Here are a couple of not so good pics from my cheap cell phone:
rl 26 .014"neck.jpg

RL26 .013" neck.jpg

I had a couple other spreads that were also very good. These were fired with the exact same load but the necks were .001" difference which accounted for about 10'/sec. When neck was increased another .001", spread increased a little more and velocity went up about 20'/sec additional. This is why turning necks, or at least making sure they are consistent, is important.....Rich
** I am now recommending that you turn your necks to no more than .014" wall thickness. If you are currently shooting .015", you may have to up the charge approx. .5 grains or more.........

Last edited:
That extreme spread is killer! I'm definitely gonna keep an eye out for RL26.

My necks are turned at the .015 range. I have a .291 and .290 bushing on the way. What bushing are you using for the .014 neck brass rich?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.