6.5 Prometheus (6.5 PRO) 140 gr. 3700 fps

Any consideration/attention given to powder bridging?

The couple of times that "bridging" occurred I'm fairly certain that the old Rem 721 action was "proof" tested to a major extent. Almost couldn't extract the fired cases without great fear of tearing off the bolt. Primers rattled around like they were small rifle primers. Just saying. . .

It's a big problem in a 300 RUM Improved case necked to 0.277 with stick powders with kernels larger than those of 7828ssc. And 7828ssc can be used with 150 class bullets and smaller.

Ball powder, namely US-869 is the go to powder for several reasons. Sure do need a better powder though. The only really good thing about it is that it flows nicely.:)

Sweet looking rifle! Probably the most powerful 6.5 on the planet.

Don't know about that, there are a couple of fire breathing 6.5 dragons out there, ( hey wow...awesome name for my next project ! 500 Jeffery necked down to 6.5 = 6.5 Dragon ?, 6.5 Smaug ?? )

We have the 6.5 Ultra Cat (6.5 Rum) 6.5 AM and the almost identical 6.5 Osprey Mag,

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/6-5-osprey-mag-photo-125575/

the real difference in that one is the case head is turned/ rebated, less body taper and shorter neck .. ie more capacity, most likely a few more grains than my wildcat , is it needed in this case with such a skinny bullet ? why not ? somebody has to move the boulders offa the road for the rest to follow, right ?
it works for the guy who came up with it, I don't see why not, The rebated case head is similar scenario with the 284 Win case and 500 Jeffery ! I'm liking the Idea of not having to alter the boltface in a Rem Mag action, gotta check it out to see how it works ! We need to keep pushing at all times and the manufacturers will eventually offer us heavier higher bc bullets, demand sells !

I've posted all my wildcat cartridge dimensions and will do so again, nothing glamourous or innovative in Frankensteining an existing cartridge case , don't see why guys are so secretive about shoulder angle, neck length and blah, blah, blah .... it is still a tweaked version of the original, not a new design by a long shot ! ha .. pun intended ! after the shooting is done look on the bottom of the case head, what does it say ?

these are the dimensions for my 6.5 Prometheus , if they appear funky that is because I wanted a longer than usual neck for a 6.5 and also it had to fit, feed and cycle properly through the AICS cip 5 round magazines without having to seat the bullets below the base of the neck impacting powder space ..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 109
Did Mark put that together got you? I swear I saw that rifle in his shop a week or two ago.

Yes sir ,

he also did my other 3 barrels in my wildcats for this rifle,
30" Rock Creek 10 twist AMU in 7.62 PRO
30" Brux 9.5 twist Rem Varmint in 338 PRO
29" Brux 12 twist #5 in 375 PRO

all are based on the 338 Norma Mag case with 35 degree shoulder

Any consideration/attention given to powder bridging?

The couple of times that "bridging" occurred I'm fairly certain that the old Rem 721 action was "proof" tested to a major extent. Almost couldn't extract the fired cases without great fear of tearing off the bolt. Primers rattled around like they were small rifle primers. Just saying. . .

It's a big problem in a 300 RUM Improved case necked to 0.277 with stick powders with kernels larger than those of 7828ssc. And 7828ssc can be used with 150 class bullets and smaller.

Ball powder, namely US-869 is the go to powder for several reasons. Sure do need a better powder though. The only really good thing about it is that it flows nicely.:)

Roy,
I have considered the potential powder bridging problem and do have a considerable amount of
that dirty burning H-870 (old US 869 ?) on my shelf along with some AA8700, I forgot to mention them, I will be testing the slowest ball powders first and go from there.. I am hoping the faster powders will work with the 127 gr Barnes LRX bullets, bc is not the greatest at .468 but pushed at extreme velocity it should make a fantastic 600 yard hunting bullet,

please share your knowledge and experience with this phenomenon called powder bridging, we all can learn more from shared wisdom, any input and advice will be greatly appreciated

Roy,
I have considered the potential powder bridging problem and do have a considerable amount of
that dirty burning H-870 (old US 869 ?) on my shelf along with some AA8700, I forgot to mention them, I will be testing the slowest ball powders first and go from there.. I am hoping the faster powders will work with the 127 gr Barnes LRX bullets, bc is not the greatest at .468 but pushed at extreme velocity it should make a fantastic 600 yard hunting bullet,

please share your knowledge and experience with this phenomenon called powder bridging, we all can learn more from shared wisdom, any input and advice will be greatly appreciated

Here ya go, this might save Roy some typing.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/powder-bridging-fiftydriver-12284/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/powder-bridging-kiwi-nate-tang-et-al-53104/

Yes sir ,

he also did my other 3 barrels in my wildcats for this rifle,
30" Rock Creek 10 twist AMU in 7.62 PRO
30" Brux 9.5 twist Rem Varmint in 338 PRO
29" Brux 12 twist #5 in 375 PRO

all are based on the 338 Norma Mag case with 35 degree shoulder

It was the AMU 30 cal that I saw. Let me know how it shoots. I take it there are no smiths in the Seward area?

It was the AMU 30 cal that I saw. Let me know how it shoots. I take it there are no smiths in the Seward area?

I have no clue ! I live in Wasilla (Valley Trash since '83)
Working in Seward at the moment, job will be done by mid January then I can concentrate on wringing out my wildcats, got some powder to burn !

Roy,

Actually, H870 is a little different than US869 and was the best powder (most velocity) for my RUM. If you like it, you can still get T870 from Thunderbird cartridge in Arizona.......Rich

I was proud valley trash from 97-05.

How has Mark's work been for you? Has he done any other projects for you?

He did my 338 Edge a few years ago, although I had Brophy's Gunshop on Knik River do the Cerakote,
Mark does Duracoat but I prefer Cerakote simply because it is far more durable and I am notoriously tough on my guns, they are but tools and I have no safe queens, everybody works !!!!!!!!

The rifle hates the Berger OTM and Elite Hunter bullets but absolutely loves the 300 gr Accubond and AFrame bullets, shoots 1/2" 3 shot groups at 100 yards to same point of impact, The Bergers were terrible 2" -3" groups ....tried several powders, primers and various seating depths and gave up, I think the tight bore dimensions on the Obermeyer bbl is not compatible with the Bergers ...

Rem M700 mag action stainless
McMillan M401A HTG stock in McMillan green and black speckles
31" 9.5 Twist Obermeyer Rem Varmint contour
muzzle brake machined into extra inch of bbl
Jewell Trigger
Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50mm scope
Nightforce 40 moa base
Nightforce Ultra Light 30mm rings
Seekins 5 rnd detachable mag system

pic taken on Memorial day 2013 at my shooting position hunting for black bear

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 119
338 Edge and 300 gr Nosler Accubonds at 440 yards
not long range by any means but not my fault, all the ones I saw out past 800 did not make 6 ft and were passed up....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 127
Very nice. I had the opposite experience with the 338 edge. 300 grain Berger, SMK, and scenar all shot beautifully but hated the 300 grain ACCUBOND. I don't have any safe queens either. Good to know others around here don't either.

My 3 girls get shot and often. I don't have any big boomers anymore. Just a lowly and boring 308, 300 win and 6.5x284 soon to become a straight 284. The 308 sports a 29" 5R 11.25 sendero contour tube, the 300 win is a factory sendero stainless fluted but bedded in an A3 stock gap camo which shoots lights friggin out, the 6.5 is a lilja 3 groove 8x fluted. Also bedded in an A3 stock in molded McMillan camo. The 308 is bedded in an A5 in molded McMillan camo. All are 700 stainless all Sendero contours but the 308 isn't fluted. Jewel triggers, badger bolt knobs. Mark 4 16x and NXS 5.5-22x50. All shoot amazingly well.

We'll have to get together and throw some lead one of these days.

M

Would it be possible to convert a 1917 Enfield 30-06 to the 6.5 Pro.? I have been looking for a good 6.5 to convert to. Sounds like the old H570 would work well with the heaver bullets as it does with my 264 WM. I have pushed the Woodleigh 160gr PPSN to 3095fps with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.