New Hornady 6.5 140 gr GMX

What am I missing here? GMX is a 140 grain bullet with a .35 G1 BC whereas the Barnes 127gr LRX has a .468 G1 BC. All the copper bullets are going to penetrate above and beyond anything lead filled and I believe the general wisdom is to step down a bullet weight for the extra velocity to help with expansion.

I agree. Have been using the Barnes 120 gr "X" & now TSX since 1994 for taking elk . Also 120 GMX & Hammer 121gr. Always complete penetration. There are those who have been asking for a 6.5 140 mono & was wondering what type of accuracy the 140 produces. You never know King Kong might show up...

I agree with the results on the 120 mono's... however we do have driven wildboar hunts and i am wondering if the 140 would be better at stopping charging boars then the 120....

I would guess they had to keep the bullet short enough to stabilize in a 1:8 twist. I tried 140 barnes xlc bullets in my 1:9 264 win mag and they hit the target sideways. Every lead core 140 I tried worked fine.

[/QUOTE]
Lets
The prc maybe...?

That's an interesting observation, and seeing the past trends, it makes sense, because it follows a long history of doing things that dont make sense! (not Hornady in particular but everyone)
"We'll design a cartridge that doesnt fit properly in most available rifles and magazines and then we'll shorten bullets so they will fit in our new designs)🤔

257 nailed it. I bought a box, wanted to try in my 6.5 prc and maybe creedmoor. I called hornady and the techs had no available data or overall length recommendations. They stated it started for the European market and was catching on here. Straight from the tech's mouth, hornady tested the bullets by shooting through airplane glass and ballistic gel. Supposedly after impact through glass said bullet still went 16 inches into gel.

257 nailed it. I bought a box, wanted to try in my 6.5 prc and maybe creedmoor. I called hornady and the techs had no available data or overall length recommendations. They stated it started for the European market and was catching on here. Straight from the tech's mouth, hornady tested the bullets by shooting through airplane glass and ballistic gel. Supposedly after impact through glass said bullet still went 16 inches into gel.
Please do update us on how they shoot in both and when available how the hunt... thinking of using these for driven boar but not sure if creedmoor will be enough speed....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.