New Hornady 6.5 140 gr GMX

257 nailed it. I bought a box, wanted to try in my 6.5 prc and maybe creedmoor. I called hornady and the techs had no available data or overall length recommendations. They stated it started for the European market and was catching on here. Straight from the tech's mouth, hornady tested the bullets by shooting through airplane glass and ballistic gel. Supposedly after impact through glass said bullet still went 16 inches into gel.

This bullet is probably meant to be used for the same application one might employ a 160-grain lead-core 6.5mm bullet. It is probably about the same length, meaning that it should stabilize just fine in a 1-in-8" twist. I've read and heard that the Europeans & Scandihoovians typically shoot their animals fairly close, and don't have a need for a high-BC bullet for that. They just want one that knocks them down, and this one should do it. The 120-grain GMX will probably remain the better-selling bullet in the US market.

Up here in Norway / scandinavia we do have a minimum bullet weigth of 9grams / 139grain for our largest animals. Red deer, caribou, wildboar, bear and moose.

The bullets of 9 gram also need to have a energy at 100 meters of 2700 J. This means a 9 gram bullet with .35 G1 needs about 850 m/s v0.

If our bullets is over 10 gram we only need 2200J / 100 meters.

Up here in Norway / scandinavia we do have a minimum bullet weigth of 9grams / 139grain for our largest animals. Red deer, caribou, wildboar, bear and moose.

The bullets of 9 gram also need to have a energy at 100 meters of 2700 J. This means a 9 gram bullet with .35 G1 needs about 850 m/s v0.

If our bullets is over 10 gram we only need 2200J / 100 meters.
So that would mean creedmoor is to slow as loaded by lapua with the naturalis 140gr. So guess i need a faster 6.5mm 😜 or maybe handload the gmx 140... would be a hot load i think to achieve 850mv0.

Has anyone tried the new Hornady 6.5 140 gr GMX mono. Should have unbelievable penetration. https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/6.5mm-.264-140-gr-gmx#!/
In case you're still interested, below is my experience and load data with Hornady's GMX 6.5 CM 140gr bullet:

Background: I hunt mostly wild hogs in central and northern Cal, and unfortunately as you may know we are required to use all copper ammo. I've had great success loading Barnes LRX 127gr, but was looking for something with a little more punch for these bigger boars and hence thought I'd give these GMX (140gr) a shot. I'm happy to report after trying several powders and charge weights, I finally found a recipe that works for me and consistently provides me .5-.6" MOA @ 100yds. As you all know, there's zero load data available for this bullet, so hoping this will help others.

Rifle: Savage Ultralite 110 in 6.5CM (1:8 twist), 22" barrel, Ultradyne Apollo S brake
Brass: Starline small primer and Hornady large primer
Powder: H4350
Charge: 42.3gr
OAL: 2.24
COAL: 2.70
LANS: .002 off
Velocity: 2758
ES: 11
SD: 5
MOA: .5"

I also used Staball (43.1gr) with decent results, but the H4350 seemed more consistent and provided the lowest ES/SD. Note, this is a long bullet and hence a compressed load...you'll slightly hear/feel a crunch when seating, but just a little. Now that I have my final load locked down, can't wait to try it in the field and confirm its lethal effectiveness on some hogs. Ping me if you have any questions.

rg

In case you're still interested, below is my experience and load data with Hornady's GMX 6.5 CM 140gr bullet:

Background: I hunt mostly wild hogs in central and northern Cal, and unfortunately as you may know we are required to use all copper ammo. I've had great success loading Barnes LRX 127gr, but was looking for something with a little more punch for these bigger boars and hence thought I'd give these GMX (140gr) a shot. I'm happy to report after trying several powders and charge weights, I finally found a recipe that works for me and consistently provides me .5-.6" MOA @ 100yds. As you all know, there's zero load data available for this bullet, so hoping this will help others.

Rifle: Savage Ultralite 110 in 6.5CM (1:8 twist), 22" barrel, Ultradyne Apollo S brake
Brass: Starline small primer and Hornady large primer
Powder: H4350
Charge: 42.3gr
OAL: 2.24
COAL: 2.70
LANS: .002 off
Velocity: 2758
ES: 11
SD: 5
MOA: .5"

I also used Staball (43.1gr) with decent results, but the H4350 seemed more consistent and provided the lowest ES/SD. Note, this is a long bullet and hence a compressed load...you'll slightly hear/feel a crunch when seating, but just a little. Now that I have my final load locked down, can't wait to try it in the field and confirm its lethal effectiveness on some hogs. Ping me if you have any questions.

rg

I'm interested in hearing about how this all works out for you. Although this GMX bullet doesn't have a high BC, it's certainly as high as any standard lead-core spitzer of that diameter & weight, so any hogs out to three or four hundred yards out to be in serious trouble. Beyond that, you'll probably have more retained striking energy with the somewhat lighter LRX you had been using - not to mention the flatter trajectory. If the 140's thump them harder closer in, you will have all your bases covered.

I'm not surprised that the H4350 did the trick for you. I am a pleased to see that you got decent velocity, since the long bearing surface of this hard bullet has been said to boost pressure. Hornady doesn't use as many relief grooves as Barnes does. They say that the gilding metal isn't as "sticky" as pure copper is, so they aren't really necessary to keep pressures in check. Your loading experience seems to be in line with this.

I've used the GMX to shoot several deer, but in the 30-06 factory loads from Hornady. Several Oregon blacktails with the Superformance 165-grain loads all dropped with one shot each. All were frontal chest shots, which I don't really like all that well. ( You get a lot of that when you rattle them in.) All bullets exited, after going through the deer lengthwise. I don't think that there was a ton of expansion. Internal damage was not extreme, and exit holes were small. This is fine with me, and all of the animals dropped on the spot.

Someone mentioned on this thread about the Lapua Naturalis, a 140-grain round-nose. I think this GMX bullet would be a somewhat better deal, due to the spitzer design. The Lapua is probably the bullet to use in something like an old 6.5 X 54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, where the round-nose design figures into the overall cartridge shape that is necessary to feed properly from the rotary magazine. I have one of these old rifles, and I have heard that they can be touchy in what they will or won't feed smoothly. I haven't loaded for it yet, but fully intend to. I think the Lapua bullet is probably nearly identical in length and in shape to the old-style 160-grain round-nose lead-core bullets that the magazines were designed to feed properly. When these rifles were designed & built, that was all that anybody used, in either soft-point or FMJ. I'd like to try the GMX, but I think I'd be barking up the wrong tree with most any spitzer.

I'm interested in hearing about how this all works out for you. Although this GMX bullet doesn't have a high BC, it's certainly as high as any standard lead-core spitzer of that diameter & weight, so any hogs out to three or four hundred yards out to be in serious trouble. Beyond that, you'll probably have more retained striking energy with the somewhat lighter LRX you had been using - not to mention the flatter trajectory. If the 140's thump them harder closer in, you will have all your bases covered.

I'm not surprised that the H4350 did the trick for you. I am a pleased to see that you got decent velocity, since the long bearing surface of this hard bullet has been said to boost pressure. Hornady doesn't use as many relief grooves as Barnes does. They say that the gilding metal isn't as "sticky" as pure copper is, so they aren't really necessary to keep pressures in check. Your loading experience seems to be in line with this.

I've used the GMX to shoot several deer, but in the 30-06 factory loads from Hornady. Several Oregon blacktails with the Superformance 165-grain loads all dropped with one shot each. All were frontal chest shots, which I don't really like all that well. ( You get a lot of that when you rattle them in.) All bullets exited, after going through the deer lengthwise. I don't think that there was a ton of expansion. Internal damage was not extreme, and exit holes were small. This is fine with me, and all of the animals dropped on the spot.

Someone mentioned on this thread about the Lapua Naturalis, a 140-grain round-nose. I think this GMX bullet would be a somewhat better deal, due to the spitzer design. The Lapua is probably the bullet to use in something like an old 6.5 X 54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, where the round-nose design figures into the overall cartridge shape that is necessary to feed properly from the rotary magazine. I have one of these old rifles, and I have heard that they can be touchy in what they will or won't feed smoothly. I haven't loaded for it yet, but fully intend to. I think the Lapua bullet is probably nearly identical in length and in shape to the old-style 160-grain round-nose lead-core bullets that the magazines were designed to feed properly. When these rifles were designed & built, that was all that anybody used, in either soft-point or FMJ. I'd like to try the GMX, but I think I'd be barking up the wrong tree with most any spitzer.
Thanks for your feedback. I totally agree with your 1st paragraph 100%. Although the rifle/caliber is more than capable, I typically won't ethically shoot a hog greater than 350 yards anyway for the same point you made. Fortunately most of my kills have been between 150-300 yds. I too was surprised at both the speed and accuracy I was able to achieve with this bullet. I'm definitely still a big fan of the Barnes LRX...I'm just curious to see how this performs in the field. Next hunt scheduled in April...will keep you all posted.

A photo of my last hog back in October...6.5CM from 296 yrds.

Attachments

• Hog 2020 King City.png
    Hog 2020 King City.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 164
Thanks for your feedback. I totally agree with your 1st paragraph 100%. Although the rifle/caliber is more than capable, I typically won't ethically shoot a hog greater than 350 yards anyway for the same point you made. Fortunately most of my kills have been between 150-300 yds. I too was surprised at both the speed and accuracy I was able to achieve with this bullet. I'm definitely still a big fan of the Barnes LRX...I'm just curious to see how this performs in the field. Next hunt scheduled in April...will keep you all posted.

A photo of my last hog back in October...6.5CM from 296 yrds.
rqgarcia89, regarding your H4350 load, no issues with pressure? Do you have quickload by any chance? Im thinking of trying this load out

rqgarcia89, regarding your H4350 load, no issues with pressure? Do you have quickload by any chance? Im thinking of trying this load out
It's definitely a hot load, but very minor pressure signs on cases when shot in my Savage Ultralite with a 22" barrel. I wouldn't recommend this in a 24" or more barrel, nor reduce OAL. I'm actually going to see if I can back it down and still get a decent node at 41.8 if possible...I have had good groups and still at 2735fps. Example of recent groups last week. And no I don't have/use Quickload. Start at 41.7 and work your way up. Good luck.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-12 16_19_10.956379.PNG
    Ballistic-X-Export-2021-02-12 16_19_10.956379.PNG
    249.5 KB · Views: 141
FYI...I decide to back my load down (some of the cases were showing signs of over pressure/difficult to eject at 42.3gr). Confirmed a solid node at 41.8gr with ES/SD of 14/5.5 @ OAL of 2.21 and .5 MOA...and still hitting 2745 fps at the muzzle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts