6.5 PRC v.s. 6.5/284 v.s. 6.5 GAP

.....My bet is on the 6.5 PRC because it's likely less of a barrel burner than the 6.5/284 with only a tad less velocity and the above-mentioned availability of brass and loaded cartridges.........

Eric B.

I have heard that given comparable conditions and wear parameters, barrel life of the 6.5PRC and 6.5x284 is similar. Hornady backed off their original barrel life claims of the 6.5PRC.

So now that the 6.5 PRC cartridge has been out for a while and the 6.5 GAP even loner I wonder, with Hornady and Ruger behind the 6.5 PRC for brass and loaded ammo availability is the 6.5 GAP going to fade away?

And how about the relatively popular 6.5/284 for a flat shooting 6.5?

My bet is on the 6.5 PRC because it's likely less of a barrel burner than the 6.5/284 with only a tad less velocity and the above-mentioned availability of brass and loaded cartridges.

But I'm sticking to my RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor for PRS & varmint competition and my RAP hunting rifle for coyote up to and including cow elk.

Eric B.
I'm not at all convinced that the 6.5-284 is going to be appreciably harder on barrels than the 6.5prc.

With the 6.5prc you have the advantage of slower powders but the difference I doubt will be appreciable to most shooters in the long term.

The 6.5-284 has only recently become appreciated as a hunting caliber and there has been an explosion in factory rifles and ammo in the caliber so I expect it to be around for at least a couple of more generations.

The Hornady/Ruger partnership is strong but most people don't jump from one caliber to the next, they stick to what they grew up with and pass their preferences along to their kids as a rule rather than an exception.

I don't think the 6.5 GAP is going anywhere.
The 3 cases mentioned, in the 6.5 world, are like a line of Camaros.
6.5PRC = Camaro RS
6.5x.284 Norma = Camaro SS
6.5 GAP = Camaro ZL1

Or for the Mustang guys:
Mustang V6
Mustang GT
Mustang Shelby GT350

Plus, there are too many guys out there that like something different and fast. Do not discount a slew of other 6.5 cartridges like the 6.5SS, 6.5 Sherman, 6.5-06AI, 6.5-280AI, 6.5WSM, 6.5x.300WM, etc. Same goes for the factory hot rods. .264WM, 26 Nosler, 6.5x.300 Weatherby, etc.

I don't think the 6.5 GAP is going anywhere.
The 3 cases mentioned, in the 6.5 world, are like a line of Camaros.
6.5PRC = Camaro RS
6.5x.284 Norma = Camaro SS
6.5 GAP = Camaro ZL1

Or for the Mustang guys:
Mustang V6
Mustang GT
Mustang Shelby GT350

Plus, there are too many guys out there that like something different and fast. Do not discount a slew of other 6.5 cartridges like the 6.5SS, 6.5 Sherman, 6.5-06AI, 6.5-280AI, 6.5WSM, 6.5x.300WM, etc. Same goes for the factory hot rods. .264WM, 26 Nosler, 6.5x.300 Weatherby, etc.
The 6.5x300wm and 6.5LRM are also both scorchers.

The crazy part is and I will never understand is if we the people are asking for 6.5 SAUM brass and bullets than why in the H E double hockey sticks is Remington, NOT listing again. Come on Remington listen to the people. After all us hunters and shooters are what keep you in business, not your CEOs. This is why Hornady does so well in the ammo department. They listen to the people. We ask, Hornady gives. Remington failed us in 1997 with the 260 Remington buy producing pore, low quality, unavoidable ammo on a round they produced. Now they doing it again with the 6.5 SAUM. They have 2 of the best 6.5 rounds out but don't market it noir do they promote it. I'm calling you out REMINGTON !!! Listen to the people, we can help. Could you imagine if Remington made good factory ammo for the 260 Rem on where it would be at today? 95 grain BST 3200 FPS, 105 grain BTHP or BST 3100 FPS, 120 - 150 grain in BST, BTHP, Barns -X, Partition, Not just make them but put them on the shelves at a competitive price. Say $20- $25 a box. Not $40. Make these bullets for 6.5 SAUM also and go up to 160 or even 165 grain bullets. Then build a great factory rifle for the rounds. Wouldn't this look good on Remingtons web site. The all new 6.5 SAUM now available Model 700 PCR Enhanced 26" Fluted medium heavy threaded barrel With 5R rifling. 260 Remington also available with 24" Barrel. Both Come with 1-8 twist For versatility and extreme accuracy. MSRP $1595. How about a 6.5 SAUM and 260 Rem in the Sendero SF ll. Model 700 SPS in both stainless and blued. Model 700 LR. Model 700 Varmint SF. PROMOTE, PROMOTE, PROMOTE then PRODUCE, PRODUCE, PRODUCE. The hottest caliber rifles on the market are your 6.5s, 7MM, and 30 Cals. Calling you out REMINGTON!!! The ball is in your court.

Last edited:
Reference Remington:
6.5 Remington Magnum introduced in a rifle with 18 an inched barrel;
6 MM Remington produced with barrel with slow twist (too slow for deer capable bullets);
.260 Remington almost no support after introduction - no match grade ammunition from them (although Black Hills and others did manufacture match ammo when casings were available);

If Remington had the marketing that Hornady had may shooters would be using their products IMHO....

Good Luck

Jerry

The crazy part is and I will never understand is if we the people are asking for 6.5 SAUM brass and bullets than why in the H E double hockey sticks is Remington, NOT listing again. Come on Remington listen to the people. After all us hunters and shooters are what keep you in business, not your CEOs. This is why Hornady does so well in the ammo department. They listen to the people. We ask, Hornady gives. Remington failed us in 1997 with the 260 Remington buy producing pore, low quality, unavoidable ammo on a round they produced. Now they doing it again with the 6.5 SAUM. They have 2 of the best 6.5 rounds out but don't market it noir do they promote it. I'm calling you out REMINGTON !!! Listen to the people, we can help. Could you imagine if Remington made good factory ammo for the 260 Rem on where it would be at today? 95 grain BST 3200 FPS, 105 grain BTHP or BST 3100 FPS, 120 - 150 grain in BST, BTHP, Barns -X, Partition, Not just make them but put them on the shelves at a competitive price. Say $20- $25 a box. Not $40. Make these bullets for 6.5 SAUM also and go up to 160 or even 165 grain bullets. Then build a great factory rifle for the rounds. Wouldn't this look good on Remingtons web site. The all new 6.5 SAUM now available Model 700 PCR Enhanced 26" Fluted medium heavy threaded barrel With 5R rifling. 260 Remington also available with 24" Barrel. Both Come with 1-8 twist For versatility and extreme accuracy. MSRP $1595. How about a 6.5 SAUM and 260 Rem in the Sendero SF ll. Model 700 SPS in both stainless and blued. Model 700 LR. Model 700 Varmint SF. PROMOTE, PROMOTE, PROMOTE then PRODUCE, PRODUCE, PRODUCE. The hottest caliber rifles on the market are your 6.5s, 7MM, and 30 Cals. Calling you out REMINGTON!!! The ball is in your court.

6.5 SAUM is not SAAMI approved. No way Remington will spend money to standardize it.

Go the PRC, especially if you happen to be on a hunt trip and need to purchase some ammo if yours got lost. PRC is going to be around for a long time and GAP will never be factory or have factory ammo available in any local store. 6.5-284 is not that common either. That may or may not be a consideration but a key factor never the less.

Don't see any of them fading anytime soon. All have a niche and barrel life probably isn't much different. If you run in long strings of fire in competition that's when barrels burn out. Hunting they while all last about the same with same handling.

Each one fills a little niche. Being standard bolt face will keep 6.5-284 going and Lapua brass. Factory loads will keep PRC a float and a faster short mag will keep SAUM In peoples wants.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.