6.5 PRC as a ELR antelope cartridge?

I believe the onus is on the hunter to understand the terminal performance on game, and let this dictate his conditions of use. Relevant to the 6.5PRC/6.5x284 class cartridges, generally, the heavy, high BC bullets do not deliver the level of wind drift benefit you state, at least at hunting distances. The velocity loss due to the heavier bullet offsets the improved BC. The major advantage given the bullet has has good expansion characteristics is increased terminal energy. I have found this to be the case with a recent load development of the Berger 156 Elite Hunter. compared to the 140hVLD. With optimized loads, trajectory and wind drift are close to identical, but 1000 yard energy is 15-20% greater.

Compare apples To apples. The Berger only has a bc if .678 while the heavier of the two atips has a bc of .704 The atip is going to retain an even better bc over the berger at 1000 yds where the velocity's of both bullets will be around 1700fps. Do the math.

Compare apples To apples. The Berger only has a bc if .678 while the heavier of the two atips has a bc of .704 The atip is going to retain an even better bc over the berger at 1000 yds where the velocity's of both bullets will be around 1700fps. Do the math.
I did the math, about a month ago, using the G7 form factor. . The 153Atip has a G7 BC of .356. The Berger 156gr has a G7 BC of .347. About a .25MOA difference in wind drift at 1000 yards...a 140 with .313 with an additional MV of 80FPS has about the same windrift as the 156 Berger at 1000 yards. Impacts confirmed st 1000 yards. They are at comparable velocity at 1000 yards.
It's a moot point for me anyway....I personally would not use an ATip on game.at long range.

Math done. Show me where the 153 is out doing the 156 by a huge margin? Because I see about 1" or less difference in wind drift and about 20 fps and essentially zero discernable drop difference at 1000 yards.
Screenshot_20190807-190641.png
Screenshot_20190807-190650.png

I believe the onus is on the hunter to understand the terminal performance on game, and let this dictate his conditions of use. Relevant to the 6.5PRC/6.5x284 class cartridges, generally, the heavy, high BC bullets do not deliver the level of wind drift benefit you state, at least at hunting distances. The velocity loss due to the heavier bullet offsets the improved BC. The major advantage given the bullet has has good expansion characteristics is increased terminal energy. I have found this to be the case with a recent load development of the Berger 156 Elite Hunter. compared to the 140hVLD. With optimized loads, trajectory and wind drift are close to identical, but 1000 yard energy is 15-20% greater.

I did the math, about a month ago, using the G7 form factor. . The 153Atip has a G7 BC of .356. The Berger 156gr has a G7 BC of .347. About a .25MOA difference in wind drift at 1000 yards...a 140 with .313 with an additional MV of 80FPS has about the same windrift as the 156 Berger at 1000 yards. Impacts confirmed st 1000 yards. They are at comparable velocity at 1000 yards.
It's a moot point for me anyway....I personally would not use an ATip on game.at long range.

I think the point is missed. The original post was concerning the atip. At no point did he ask about the Berger.....

I guess I don't see where the 156 Berger even came into the conversation. The op asked specifically about the atip, not the Berger. The Berger ballistics has no valid bearing on this conversation.
It came into the conversation when you specifically mentioned it in comparison to the A-Tip......

It came into the conversation when you specifically mentioned it in comparison to the A-Tip......

If you reread the posts I'm sure you'll be able to find where I was not the one that got the ball rolling on the Berger

I've just completed my novice testing with a 6.5 creedmoor using the Berger 156 EOL and Hornady A-TIP. I used them on some feral goats (100-150 lbs live weight) at ranges of 385 yds and 402 yds with the Berger 156, 268 yds and 523 yds with the Hornady 153. I got all 4 animals with some delayed expiring with both the Hornady A-TIP. I also didn't get any projectiles and almost no lead fragments while breaking both front shoulders. It was a different beast with the Berger 156 EOL with both animals dropping within a few steps and a massive wound channel all the way thru and I didn't recover the bullets either but by the fragments I'm guessing it shed a lot of weight. I just ordered another browning x bolt hells canyon LR with a 26" heavy contour in 6.5 PRC exact same model as my 6.5 creedmoor. All of my X-bolts shoot good and gets better after 150-200 rounds. From a solid 1" gun it's now a 0.23"-0.45" rifle at a 100 yds with more load development and being honest I can't shoot that well because of shooter error. I'm still learning but I'd figure I can give my 2 cents with my experiment.

I have several Tikkas and Sakos but way more X-Bolts in humble my opinion it's a way better rifle in my experience. The hells canyon is the best value as my X-Bolt pro in 28 Nosler wasn't worth the money. For the same price my Fierce fury in the same caliber 28 Nosler is leaps and bounds better.

I'm hoping to get my 6.5 PRC in soon so I can start playing with it, I actually bought some Hornady brass only to find some ADG a week later. By the way I spoke to Stephan the previous owner of Matrix bullets and as he sold his company and all of his bullet dies to a big name company that will be making them available to us both in Canada and USA as of July 31. The prices are way higher than before but I will wait awhile to see the quality control of the new owners. Those Matrix Hunting 6.5mm 160 grains bullets was my favorite until the export ban. Thanks for your time and happy shooting... aloha

Just bought a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro rifle (24" barrel version).

After having quite successfully used my 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle at 1,100 yards on our club's steel range I now can say that the 6.5 PRC in my X-Bolt is even more amazing for shots over 1,000 yards as well as fighting our pernicious and unpredictable desert winds.

So... that said I'm thinking I can use Hornady's new 153 gr. A-Tip (machined aluminum tip) on antelope at over 1,000 yards. (IF I can ever find any, that is!)

Any comments on this round or Hornady's 143 gr. ELD-X ammo for ELR on antelope or coyotes?

Eric B.
BTW, The scope is a Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 W/G3 illuminated mil reticle.
I to am on Social Security and a fixed in come . I also have been looking to get a new rifle and have considered the Browning 6.5 PRC x bolt Pro rifle and the 6.5 PRC Begara HMR PRO. It is a tuff decision to make. I have had Brownings and Love them, but that Begara is a real nice rifle to. Is there that much advantage over the 6.5 creedmoor?

Last edited:
Depending on how you load the 6.5CM, the PRC will provide an additional 200-300FPS. Unless you are pushing your range past 600/700 yards, the factory level loads for the 6.5CM will work very well on antelope/medium game. IMO

Here is a link to the 6.5 PRC SAUM etc facebook page. DO a search for "a-tip". Roughly 10 posts down is George Gardner (Owner of GA Precision) reply about the A-Tip and killing at long distance.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1556871451246741/

"This should answer all the "Will a Hornady A-Tip Cleanly Kill deer-elk-caribou questions. 638 yards. Through both shoulders golf ball size exit. Complete inaliation under the hide!

135 A-Tip 59 grains RL -26 at 3080fps

Rifle is a GAP Alaska Xtreme. 6.5 pounder, 6.5 PRC"

Attachments

• 71637074_10156773988068510_4668030719426035712_n.jpg
    71637074_10156773988068510_4668030719426035712_n.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 72
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.