6.5 Creedmoor build 2K budget

Looking to build a 6.5 Creedmoor for a deer hunt this fall. Have a 2k budget for the package (including optics) what would you guys recommend? I have built full custom rifles in the past, but not really done a lot of making long range rifles based off of factory builds. Something factory that would fit the bill with some gunsmithing...or recommend something else? Could maybe push the budget another $500 if need be.
The best 6.5 for the money would be a Ruger Predator 6.5 an a Swfa 3-15 mil/mil.. gtg hunting rig that will shoot hands down

Well that was a SIGNIFICANT edit made to the original post/question. Completely changes about 8 pages worth or responses. This whole thread is jacked up now and will confuse the hell out of anyone new reading this. Should have just started a new topic and closed this one out...

Well if everyone were not idiots and stayed on topic about shooting deer, this wouldn't be an issue!!!

;)

Looking to build a 6.5 Creedmoor for an elk hunt this fall. Have a 2k budget for the package (including optics) what would you guys recommend? I have built full custom rifles in the past, but not really done a lot of making long range rifles based off of factory builds. Something factory that would fit the bill with some gunsmithing...or recommend something else? Could maybe push the budget another $500 if need be..

For those curious.....here is the ORIGINAL post.

He definitely edited it. He originally asked about elk hunting.

AH-HA........that explains it....reading through this thread, I thought I was in the Twilight Zone!

6.5CM....IMO
For deer, OK for <700 yards
For Elk(primary)......too light, prefer at least 30 CALIBER
For occasional elk, or in a pinch....<500 yards with precise shot placement only!

I have a 300RUM and have a 7mm that has shot countless elk. This is a build for a friend and he has only ever shot 1 other elk. Quite a few deer, but 1 elk. I think he would like to do some long range shooting and likes the idea of the 6.5CM for light recoil. The Tikka was one of the rifles I was eyeing....
I know that I will probably get killed on here but have you looked at a Bergara? I also agree with the previous post I would rather shoot 300WM for larger game.

Looking to build a 6.5 Creedmoor for a deer hunt this fall. Have a 2k budget for the package (including optics) what would you guys recommend? I have built full custom rifles in the past, but not really done a lot of making long range rifles based off of factory builds. Something factory that would fit the bill with some gunsmithing...or recommend something else? Could maybe push the budget another $500 if need be.
I've shot a couple elk along with dozens of moose. I would not build a 6.5 for Elk. It will work if shot placement is perfect. My first Elk was with a 270. Shot the elk in the neck and it went right down. The farther you want to shot an elk the more bullet you'll need. From what I've read, the biggest bullet for a 6.5 is 140 grain. That weight is in my opinion is the minimum. And not adequate beyond 400 yards. I would recommend a 7 mm caliber.
I'm thinking of building a 6.5 Creedmore for Caribou and Muledeer.
In Alaska if we shoot and wound an animal, then it gets away. We cannot shoot another one.

While I did watch a guy shoot a bull at 885 yds with a 6.5 PRC and 147gr hornady he was very experienced and knew his rifle and the elk only went about 10 yards I would opt for a heavier caliber.

My 338 win mag was built some years ago on a 98 mauser action French walnut stock and Federal barrel. although I have not weighed it, it easy to carry. 3. 5 to 10 scope. works great on dropping deer and great elk cartridge or anything else you might want. love my Creedmore and other AR s but take the gun for the job. yep lots of elk have been taken with a 270 but how many lost. What is the idea behind light weight small calibers? Do people want meat or tracking wounded game alll over creation? 300 win mag 338 win mag get a good scope . The hot small calibers blood shoot game as well.

I think the 6.5 Creed is a great round for deer. I put together one for my wife in a factory Howa with a bull barrel, topped with a Leupold for right at a grand and it shoots sub moa with reloads.

I just got this bergara premier 6.5 creed which was originally in a chassis. Found the gray HMR stock and bedded lug, put a zeiss v4 on it and doing a little load work on it. Giving it as gift to my best friend from back home. So far I am pleasantly surprised with quality and feel of the rifle.
B05E1518-B1CC-4EC0-A156-9A84F029A01E.jpeg
C9F6D2D8-A849-49CB-9D4A-C11EB329372A.jpeg
7E401124-89EC-4EE3-81F9-5DDFB18BC39C.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.