6.5 Creedmoor build 2K budget

New Hornady 6.5 PRC Load
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2017/12/1/first-look-new-hornady-65-prc-load/

Hornady's wildly popular 6.5mm Creedmoor—introduced a decade ago—is the same bore size (and therefore shoots the same bullets) and also is a crossover for competition and hunting applications. Both are sized to fit short-action bolt rifles, but in addition to being slightly longer, the 6.5 PRC case is significantly fatter than the Creedmoor, to the point where it offers nearly 28 percent more case capacity. With Hornady's 143-gr. ELD-X super-streamlined hunting bullet, that translates a muzzle velocity of 2960 fps vs. the Creedmoor's 2700 fps. Advantage PRC, clearly, but how much difference will it make in real-world shooting?

Tanya's Elk with the 6.5 PRC
Precise Rifle Solutions 6.5 PRC with a Hornady 147 ELD-M and Bertram Brass at 715 yards.

Interesting case study. Ryan has since reported the difference between this gun and his 300 rum when both had the unfortunate result of a gut shot. In short, both elk recovered but one didn't move and the other they had to chase. His write up about it is on rockslide and it's worth a look for those building specifically for elk.

-from someone who owns a PRC

Greybull Precision with Wayne van Zwoll Elk with 6.5 Creedmoor at 603 yards.

I actually talked with Wayne in Casper, WY - back around '96 - '97 about shooting downhill and how that and shooting uphill affects bullet impact. (I shot that elk downhill - and it shot high. - He briefed me on all that.)

Last edited:
Ya. I shot an elk with a 30-06 - under 100-yards, used a 165-gr. Nosler Partition, and he dropped. - Shots are usually under 200-yards for me. - but varmints and inanimate objects are fun long-range. (AR-15 and FNAR) :D Public Lands of Wyoming.
I have a 7mm Rem. mag now too - and gonna try some Berger 168-Classic Hunter loads (B.C. = .566). - Gee. They have a 168-gr. VLD hunting bullet too (B.C. = .618).
Plus, gonna try some Berger 180-gr. Elite Hunter bullets (B.C. = .576) in the 30-06.

BERGER HUNTING BULLETS (Not Match bullets)
http://bergerbullets.com/products/hunting-bullets/

Last edited:
The thing to keep in mind here is that this is a rifle being specifically built for an elk hunt. First sentence in the original post. You build something to meet the intended purpose as efficiently as possible. If I'm building a rifle for the specific purpose of hitting a milk jug at a mile, I'm not starting with a muzzleloader. If I'm building an elk rifle, I'm not starting with a 6.5 or 270 for that matter. It's not a matter of "can" a light caliber rifle do it...
I actually updated the original post because that actually wasn't the ONLY intent of this rifle. I will have my 7mm with, and a 300 RUM in the truck. If we are hiking and it is <300 yards, he can use the 6.5CM, if it is over that, I will honestly close the distance. If forced, he will use my 7mm. If lucky it will be with the RUM out of the truck, but that never happens (for me anyway, except for cows). He is mostly a deer hunter and doesn't have confidence in his current setup. I am a firm believer that he has to be the most confident with a capable cartridge rather than incapable with a magnum. You guys gave me what I wanted though so thank you for all the great info!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.