6.5 Creedmoor build 2K budget

bh5k

Looking to build a 6.5 Creedmoor for a deer hunt this fall. Have a 2k budget for the package (including optics) what would you guys recommend? I have built full custom rifles in the past, but not really done a lot of making long range rifles based off of factory builds. Something factory that would fit the bill with some gunsmithing...or recommend something else? Could maybe push the budget another $500 if need be.

Last edited:
If you're building a dedicated elk gun you'd be better off to go with a bit more knockdown. Maybe a 28 Nosler, 300 win mag or 300 RUM. I would look at a rifle in the $600-800 range and spend the rest on optics. You can make a $600-$800 gun shoot with a little work. It may take some load development or bedding the action but it will work. Good luck

I have a 300RUM and have a 7mm that has shot countless elk. This is a build for a friend and he has only ever shot 1 other elk. Quite a few deer, but 1 elk. I think he would like to do some long range shooting and likes the idea of the 6.5CM for light recoil. The Tikka was one of the rifles I was eyeing....

Ohh, and I would build reloads for him. I have plenty of experience there.

Seriously, get a ruger, put a good scope on it, and pocket $500 to $1000... my kid's ruger in creed will dump 1" groups at 200 with a 20x Weaver Grand slam on top and is less than 1K including the scope, brake, and Boyd's laminate stock...

Seriously, get a ruger, put a good scope on it, and pocket $500 to $1000... my kid's ruger in creed will dump 1" groups at 200 with a 20x Weaver Grand slam on top and is less than 1K including the scope, brake, and Boyd's laminate stock...
I hate to brake it to you but some people take pride in their guns. The ruger is good shooting gun, but I would upgrade to a Tikka, Browning, or bergara. I hate tikka's stocks so I would go bergara or browning.

Can never go wrong with the savage for a build like that. If reloading use the hammer 124gr. Those things just flat out work for hunting. If he wants to stretch it way out on paper use the 147 eld. For hunting within the ranges the creed would be capable of taking that size game the 124 HH is very hard to beat

Jeez. Building a dedicated 6.5CM elk rifle is a terrible idea, especially for a guy who has only shot 1 elk. Unless you plan on limiting shots to 500 max.

Can it do the job? Yes. Is it optimal? No. Are there far better choices that still have moderate recoil? Yes.

.30-06, .270 Win, .280 Rem .280AI, 7RM .300WM, etc.

If you just HAVE to have a 6.5, .264WM and you can load it way down for plinking. Why leave 400fps/400+ft/lbs on the table?

Last edited:
Remington 700 Gen II 5R in 6.5 CM. You can also get it in .300 WM if you change your mind on cartridge size.

There is also the Bergara HMR and premier. The premier series will only leave you with a $500 budget for scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.