6.5 Creedmoor build 2K budget

Looking to build a 6.5 Creedmoor for a deer hunt this fall. Have a 2k budget for the package (including optics) what would you guys recommend? I have built full custom rifles in the past, but not really done a lot of making long range rifles based off of factory builds. Something factory that would fit the bill with some gunsmithing...or recommend something else? Could maybe push the budget another $500 if need be.
Remington 700 Gen II 5R in 6.5 CM. You can also get it in .300 WM if you change your mind on cartridge size.

There is also the Bergara HMR and premier. The premier series will only leave you with a $500 budget for scope.
If you want a 6.5. The 6.5-284 is fantastic. I'm shooting 143 eld x with same hole accuracy at 3080 fps.

Looking to build a 6.5 Creedmoor for a deer hunt this fall. Have a 2k budget for the package (including optics) what would you guys recommend? I have built full custom rifles in the past, but not really done a lot of making long range rifles based off of factory builds. Something factory that would fit the bill with some gunsmithing...or recommend something else? Could maybe push the budget another $500 if need be.
I bought a Howa HCR in 6.5 Creed and topped her with a vortex 6.5-24x50 viper scope took out my cow elk with a single shot at 330 yards i suggest NOT using hollow points and getting solid coper projectiles as i used hollows and lost an entire front quarter she weighed over 600 pounds dressed out.
9084.jpeg

If you really wont to kill elk
Get a Savage 110 in 3006 and a Vortex scope. Get some 180gr ammo and practice. Spend any money left on good boots warm clothes sleeping bag GPS and a range finder
Be sure to get a good back pack to carry the meat out
I wish you good luck and a successful and memorable hunt

Looking to build a 6.5 Creedmoor for a deer hunt this fall. Have a 2k budget for the package (including optics) what would you guys recommend? I have built full custom rifles in the past, but not really done a lot of making long range rifles based off of factory builds. Something factory that would fit the bill with some gunsmithing...or recommend something else? Could maybe push the budget another $500 if need be.[/QUOTE

Legendary Arms Works. Veteran owned. These actions are an amalgamation of everything that I would want on a rifle if I could design one. I have owned 5, (four currently). Everyone is a tact driver with all the bells and whistles you could hope for in a fully custom rifle for Sako prices. I like Athlon Optics Ares or Cronus series.
The rifle pictured consistently hit 1/2" groups at 200yds.

Attachments

• 20180525_211608.jpg
    20180525_211608.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 137
  • 7mm Remington Mag L.A.jpg
    7mm Remington Mag L.A.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 136
G'day,
whats the attraction with 6.5CM for Elk sized game at long range?
For the money it would be hard to go past a Howa in a bell & carlson stock and a Leupold VX3 / Tikka T3x with a VX3.
Both will bring you within your budget and shoot sub MOA.

Probably a 7mm rem mag minimum however... reloading or factory ammo?
Deer Hunt NOT elk hunt !!

Lots of opinions here as well as good advice. The 6.5 cartridge isn't the best option for an elk only cartridge and the .284/30s would be best. Yes the 6.5 with good bc hunting bullets will get it done easily at long range, the extra bullet weight and performance of the 7s or heavy 30s would be better. The build is another story. "Depends" is the word. Can you assemble and head space a barreled action ? Can you bed an action if necessary ? If so, YES you can easily put together a $2K elk rifle. Rem 700 or Savage action. Grayboe, B&C, Choate or Stockys stock. Shilen prefit select match barrel and Shilen or Rifle Basix trigger. Optic at around 700-800.00 and you'll be in your range of cost. Vortex, Sightron or Leupold gets you in that range. All decent optics for your goal.

Can't you guys read-for-comprehension...he said for a deer, DEER hunt NOT an elk hunt. Go back and reread the #1 post.
I can't agree more. The original post was about building a deer rifle and everyone got off track about ELK. The guy wants to build a 6.5 Creedmoor "deer rifle" as it reads in the original post. "Unless he edited it of course".

Ugg i did not see the age or size of this post, it looked new and unanswered from my phone.... Here is what i posed but cant find how to remove it now that it is un needed. My 2 cents. Go look at a Sauer 100 in 6.5 cr. They shoot 1/3 moa. Extreamly awesome trigger for about 800.00. I sell guns. This is a great rifle and it's light. Also look at the shephard scoope with Bdc for hunting in the 6.5 cm. Nothing like looking through an 100% American made scope and knowing the range, set and fire without any adjusting. All for under 2000.

Last edited:
I love a 6.5 in just about any rifle but I built a .280AI, Tikka T3 and put it in a Bell & Carlson stock...lightweight, easy to carry and packs enough punch to do the job...put a good scope on it and your ready to go. JMO

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.