6.5 Creedmoor build 2K budget

I had a 6.5 Creed built on a Remington Model 7 action with a 8 twist 23 inch Bartlein barrel and a Bell and Carlson Ultralight stock. It grouped .66 inches with 130 grain Nosler Accubonds. I killed an elk at 325 yards with one shot and probably 5 mule and whitetail deer. I sold it and bought a Kimber Mountain Ascent 6.5 Creedmoor. Weaver Rifles in Peyton, CO cerakoted the metal and painted the stock to make it look (in my opinion) better. With a Leupold 4.5 to 14 VX-III scope and Talley mounts it weighs right at 6 lbs. It shoots handloaded 143 ELD-X bullets at 2,830 fps into .6 inch 3-shot groups. I harvested 5 antelope and 7 deer over the past three years with it. In December it killed an antelope doe standing at 585 yards. (The Leupold CDC system works like magic)
Mountain Ascent.jpg

Last edited:
Looking to build a 6.5 Creedmoor for a deer hunt this fall. Have a 2k budget for the package (including optics) what would you guys recommend? I have built full custom rifles in the past, but not really done a lot of making long range rifles based off of factory builds. Something factory that would fit the bill with some gunsmithing...or recommend something else? Could maybe push the budget another $500 if need be.

I can't agree more. The original post was about building a deer rifle and everyone got off track about ELK. The guy wants to build a 6.5 Creedmoor "deer rifle" as it reads in the original post. "Unless he edited it of course".
Started out as an ELK preference rifle. Thats at everyone commented on the 6.5 being under gunned. I wasn't seeing things either. I commented on an elk .rifle as well

Looking to build a 6.5 Creedmoor for a deer hunt this fall. Have a 2k budget for the package (including optics) what would you guys recommend? I have built full custom rifles in the past, but not really done a lot of making long range rifles based off of factory builds. Something factory that would fit the bill with some gunsmithing...or recommend something else? Could maybe push the budget another $500 if need be.
Since you changed your species for which you need this Rifle, maybe you'll decide to change the cartridge too. Stick with a 7mm mag. That way when you decide to use it for MOOSE, it will work fine for that also.

If you want a 6.5. The 6.5-284 is fantastic. I'm shooting 143 eld x with same hole accuracy at 3080 fps.
What I am confused with is all the replies about Elk when he clearly stated it was for deer. 6.5 Creed is perfectly fine for deer!

What I am confused with is all the replies about Elk when he clearly stated it was for deer. 6.5 Creed is perfectly fine for deer!

He edited his post. It was mentioned several times throughout the thread that he edited. Now everyone looks silly, but they were answering the original question.

Hey. I would go for a HOWA. I have a 6.5CM in a 26" heavy barrel sitting in a MDT chassis. For the money I dont think you will find much better. I would say you would make it to a $1000 with rifle and chassis alone leaving $1000 for optics. Maybe a 22" sporter would suit for deer hunting. Btw. My rifle out shoots me.

Started out as an ELK preference rifle. Thats at everyone commented on the 6.5 being under gunned. I wasn't seeing things either. I commented on an elk .rifle as well

But my question is why???? Why comment about it being an elk cartridge, when all the OP asked what 6.5 Creedmoor factory rifle or componets should he use to build a $2000 Creedmoor? None of us know his experience, maybe he shoots elk in his hay meadow with a .243 and he wants to shoot longer range with a larger caliber 6.5. We don't know what his long range requirements are although there are a number of us willing to tell him. Is it really up to us to comment about if it is enough gun? Why don't we treat every poster with respect and assume he has enough knowledge to ethically shoot what ever game the he or she is shooting. That he knows the range and limitations as well as each of us? He didn't ask if a 6.5 Creedmore was adequate for shooting elk at 400 to 500 yard.. or 1000 for that matter. He asked what rifle or components one should use to keep the budget at 2000 to 2500 dollars with his build.

I am finally building a 6.5 creedmore specifically to shoot elk and mule deer. Also doing a 6.5 PCR for the task too.

I have been shooting elk most of my life with primarily a .25-06. Have also shot few with a 6 mm remington and a few with either a .270 or a .30-06. Grew up on a Montana Ranch with elk in the hay meadow across from the house most every summer. I; like many of the posters on here, know what range I can ethically shoot with the rifle I am using to have enough energy and velocity for the bullets and cartridges for the game I am shooting. Some guys shoot .300 win mags and .338 Lapua's ... some shoot smaller calibers. Because someone uses something different than what you feel is proper, why not give the OP the benefit of the doubt.... until he or she demostrates that they don't know enough... and we just respond to what was asked?

As to the components.. or factory rifle there have been some great suggestions.. for a 6.5 Creedmoor with optics for a budget of $2000 to $2500. I was in a similar situation and went with a 26" Howa 1500 heavy barreled action. Aftermarket stock with an aluminum block. Got a trigger spring for $10 bucks and my factory trigger with aftermarket spring breaks at the 1.75 lbs I set it at. Went with a NF steel rail and Burris Extreme Signature rings and a used Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5x16x50 scope. And I am sure it will do the job I want it to do and it will be built for less than $2000. I am not building a light weight rifle for my application as I am long in the tooth and drive, 4 wheel or ride a horse to where I expect to ambush my elk.

I know the Original Poster learned a lesson.. not to mention 6.5 Creedmoor and Elk in the same post on this forum or a large number of responders will give an ethical hunting lesson without knowing his background and knowlege; as shown by his editing the post.. from elk to deer.

Last edited:
But my question is why???? Why comment about it being an elk cartridge, when all the OP asked what 6.5 Creedmoor factory rifle or componets should he use to build a $2000 Creedmoor? None of us know his experience, maybe he shoots elk in his hay meadow with a .243 and he wants to shoot longer range with a larger caliber 6.5. We don't know what his long range requirements are although there are a number of us willing to tell him. Is it really up to us to comment about if it is enough gun? Why don't we treat every poster with respect and assume he has enough knowledge to ethically shoot what ever game the he or she is shooting. That he knows the range and limitations as well as each of us? He didn't ask if a 6.5 Creedmore was adequate for shooting elk at 400 to 500 yard.. or 1000 for that matter. He asked what rifle or components one should use to keep the budget at 2000 to 2500 dollars with his build.

I am finally building a 6.5 creedmore specifically to shoot elk and mule deer. Also doing a 6.5 PCR for the task too.

I have been shooting elk most of my life with primarily a .25-06. Have also shot few with a 6 mm remington and a few with either a .270 or a .30-06. Grew up on a Montana Ranch with elk in the hay meadow across from the house most every summer. I; like many of the posters on here, know what range I can ethically shoot with the rifle I am using to have enough energy and velocity for the bullets and cartridges for the game I am shooting. Some guys shoot .300 win mags and .338 Lapua's ... some shoot smaller calibers. Because someone uses something different than what you feel is proper, why not give the OP the benefit of the doubt.... until he or she demostrates that they don't know enough... and we just respond to what was asked?

As to the components.. or factory rifle there have been some great suggestions.. for a 6.5 Creedmoor with optics for a budget of $2000 to $2500. I was in a similar situation and went with a 26" Howa 1500 heavy barreled action. Aftermarket stock with an aluminum block. Got a trigger spring for $10 bucks and my factory trigger with aftermarket spring breaks at the 1.75 lbs I set it at. Went with a NF steel rail and Burris Extreme Signature rings and a used Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5x16x50 scope. And I am sure it will do the job I want it to do and it will be built for less than $2000. I am not building a light weight rifle for my application as I am long in the tooth and drive, 4 wheel or ride a horse to where I expect to ambush my elk.

I know the Original Poster learned a lesson.. not to mention 6.5 Creedmoor and Elk in the same post on this forum or a large number of responders will give an ethical hunting lesson without knowing his background and knowlege; as shown by his editing the post.. from elk to deer.
When the OP asks " What would you guys recommend", that pretty much opens the door to many different answers. As stated it started out as use as only an Elk rifle, hence why so many personal opinions on possibly building a little better cartridge for Only Elk. Absolutely a 6.5 Creedmoor or most 6.5s are easily up to the task and even at the longest ranges in the proper hands. Correct nobody knows anyone else's skill set behind a rifle let alone it's accuracy after it's complete. Most only put together their knowledge of cartridges better suited for an elk rifle. Don't think the 6.5 Creedmoor would make it in the top 5 or maybe even 10 rifles for ELK. Not to take away from it's ability to get it done but much better choices out there...regardless of any one shooters experience or abilities.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.