Budget build

Cheaper budget rifle or save for more expensive?

• Cheaper and now

• Expensive and later

Results are only viewable after voting.
"Budget" is always the driver for me regardless.
We actually agree on this.

You don't always have to spend $5K to have a good rifle, like some folks will try to tell you. If you have the money, or just want to, go for it...But it's not a guaranteed prerequisite to having an accurate or high-quality rifle.

As some of you know I have been planning a short action magnum build for a while.

I have gotten several parts together and have decided on a 25 SST.

Here is my dilemma-
I could buy cheaper stuff and do it now or continue to save and buy more expensive parts as I go. What would you do?

What is budget and what do you want from this rifle?

Accuracy, efficiency and quality is most important to me. You usually can't get that if you pay the least amount for everything. You can buy several good guns for less than a thousand dollars. If you are going to build a rifle with special barrel twist, it will cost you more for a custom tube.

Last edited:
Save your money now, then when you have all those expensive parts put together, and you're shooting the rifle of your dreams, you can watch all the people that settled for cheaper parts spend more money trying to make their mistakes into their dream rifles.Meanwhile You could be saving for your next great build while enjoying The one you did build

Thank you all for your responses

I have a couple other rifles in the safe. No need to hurry other than I WANT one. I know the Sherman will cost a bit more but I really WANT one. I grew up carrying a 25-06 and this kinda reminds me of my younger days.

The purpose of this rifle is nothing more than a hunting / plinking outfit in an interesting cartridge. I am going a totally different route than most probably think. I want to build a handy lightweight gun to be used. Not a bench gun or something for competitions.

I just really want one and I could build it now with some parts I have and a few to buy or I could wait, save and build something I can really like and be proud of. I normally go the now route and it has always worked. Maybe it wasn't the prettiest or most accurate but it worked.

I have a 6.5-284 I built with used and leftover parts that is a tack driver. I have $700 in the rifle optics and all. So you I know you don't have to spend a ton to get something that works. I would just like to say that I got exactly what I wanted and I did it my way. But then I think how bad I want it NOW. It's a struggle

Indiana -

Howdy !

I lived in East Allen Co. 3mi East of New Haven.

My riflesmith for some years was the reknownwd Fred Sinclair.

He was known to advise aspiring rifle builders....
" Buy the best.... and cry once "

Sage advise.

With regards,
357Mag

I
Indiana -

Howdy !

I lived in East Allen Co. 3mi East of New Haven.

My riflesmith for some years was the reknownwd Fred Sinclair.

He was known to advise aspiring rifle builders....
" Buy the best.... and cry once "

Sage advise.

With regards,
357Mag

I'm on the Indiana - Illinois border. About half way between Evansville and Terre Haute.

Stay within YOUR budget, not someone else's! I run with Savages, by choice, because I do all my own labor and not smith dependent (I can afford other actions, but they're smith dependent. I don't have that kind of patience.), only require a $400-$500 pre-fit, so I'm into my just built Comp 6 Creed rifle for right @ $2000 before the optic...I can live with that. And they will and do perform at the line as well as that AI, that the guy can kind of get to group at 100yds.

The only "buy once cry once" I'm about is my expen$ive *** tool$. All about getting value.

Stay within YOUR budget, not someone else's! I run with Savages, by choice, because I do all my own labor and not smith dependent (I can afford other actions, but they're smith dependent. I don't have that kind of patience.), only require a $400-$500 pre-fit, so I'm into my just built Comp 6 Creed rifle for right @ $2000 before the optic...I can live with that. And they will and do perform at the line as well as that AI, that the guy can kind of get to group at 100yds.

The only "buy once cry once" I'm about is my expen$ive *** tool$. All about getting value.

I agree 100%. I'm not into crazy expensive actions, bottom metals, and the sort.

For example-

I really want a Lilja have it fluted at the factory and the exact contour I want.

I could buy an X Caliber and save.

I really want a Jewell trigger but I could buy something cheaper.

I really want a Manners but could buy a B&C or something.

I really want a Fluted one piece bolt but I have a 700 bolt.

I really want to Creakote it but I don't have to.

All the little things add up. You can take a 2k rifle to a 5k rifle really quickly.

This time I do not want to buy components just to replace them later. I always end up spending more in the long run or ending up with something I'm unhappy with.

If you are willing to go the barrel nut route, the only reason I'd say wait is if you want a custom action. If you are willing to use a donor, I'd just buy the donor rifle and enjoy shooting the snot out of it knowing that you are going to trash the barrel when you get the chance anyways.

When Gander was closing I bought the cheapest Remington 700 .223 they had. I shot the snot out of it knowing I was going to rebuild it as a 6X45 with a McGowan barrel and McMillan stock as a light deer gun for my daughter. I got several hundred rounds through it before I rebuilt the rifle; I was actually torn about doing it because that was the most accurate factory barrel I'd ever owned!

When Gander was closing I bought the cheapest Remington 700 .223 they had. I shot the snot out of it knowing I was going to rebuild it as a 6X45 with a McGowan barrel and McMillan stock as a light deer gun for my daughter. I got several hundred rounds through it before I rebuilt the rifle; I was actually torn about doing it because that was the most accurate factory barrel I'd ever owned!

that's what i did. cabelas had remington 700 ADL's for $319 after a mail in rebate. my smith charges me $200 to blue print it while i watch and somewhat help. it came with a 26" heavy barrel that i've already sold, so i'll be in the blue printed action a little over $400.

I have a donor rifle- sort of

I have all the parts from a 700 SPS 270 WSM. I have some other goodies around from past tinkerings. I also have the optic I'm going to use on hand. So all I really need is a barrel, stock, and trigger. Anything more than that is just because I want it.

For the SST I would need dies and brass but I would need that for anything. The only dies I own are .222 Rem, .35 Whelen, and 6.5-284.

I considered a barrel nut. I have nothing against them. One of the best shooters I know uses them exclusively. For this particular build I'd like to have a shouldered barrel. No more reason other than it's what I have pictured and it's what I want.

I'm in the "buy once cry once" crowd, but it's all relative to what you'd actually want to spend. As others have said, you don't have to spend a fortune to build an accurate rifle.

I've gone the instant route before and then end up spending more money down the line by upgrading to what I actually wanted in the first place.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.