6.5 CM hunting bullets

I think he is saying the 147 is not a big game bullet compared to others and it definitely is not

The performance on the 3 antelope I killed this year was just not acceptable to me

I was basically saying that I disagree with you on the 147's working just fine. And the oryx is shot certainly agrees with me I'm sure he would rather have rather take just one instead of several.
Then drop down to 143x and give them a try. I get exceptional accuracy with them and good penetration.

I gave extensive experience with both and yes they work fine on deer and pigs but larger game where you can encounter bone is a different story. Keep in mind I don't have a problem with either but op asked for recommendations. Since I've used both hornady's a lot and the hammers I have my opinion that hammers where far Suprior and why I use them. I see no advantages at all the heavy cup core have over the hammer monos. Over other monos yes that's why 147 was my second choice if I couldn't get hammers.
But for hunting distances the hammer outdoes the eld and eldx everywhere.

I gave extensive experience with both and yes they work fine on deer and pigs but larger game where you can encounter bone is a different story. Keep in mind I don't have a problem with either but op asked for recommendations. Since I've used both hornady's a lot and the hammers I have my opinion that hammers where far Suprior and why I use them. I see no advantages at all the heavy cup core have over the hammer monos. Over other monos yes that's why 147 was my second choice if I couldn't get hammers.
But for hunting distances the hammer outdoes the eld and eldx everywhere.
Which Oryx did you get? And where if you don't mind me asking?

I got a scimitar oryx and got it on the star s ranch in mason TX. Was an amazing hunt. Bumped them off a mountain into a valley and took it off the side of the mountain at 180 yards.

I'm really happy for both of you! THEY AREN'T SELLING THEM TO CANADA YET! But the 118 gr. WHIZMASTERS are going 4650 fps and all into the same hole at 1500 yards.....and I ain't letting them go SOUTH!🤣😜🤗
Am I missing something here? Hammers been shipping to Canada for awhile now. Plus there's a Canadian supplier to be announced soon as well. If they don't sell to Canada I'm not sure how I just got 300 of them.

Just wondering if the one that posted about his daughters 130 OTM would like to share some load data. I've shot the box ammo from Berger out to about 930 yards with great results and accuracy but I've still looking for a box of 130otm for loading. Any load data is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Interesting. I've always gone for the heavier ELD-X for the better BC and sectional density but I'm seeing positive feedback on lighter 6.5 bullets for long range. My Tikka T3x 6.5 cm liked the 130 grain Terminal Ascents.

Here is my reasoning with some numbers
The min velocity for the hammers is say 1800 FPS to be safe.
My 143 eldx hits that distance in the current weather at my range at just over 650 yards
The hammers hit that same speed within 20 yards of those one side or the other. This is not pushing the hammers very hard at all. Not the eldx either. Now if I run both to max FPS in my rig the hammers slightly outdoes the hornady for distance. But again less than 100 yards. But it does it with much less drop. Now if you factor in pushing the new 123 absolute hammers another 150fps or more faster than the hammer will be a more effective long range bullet. Now some can say they have killed much farther with eldx but same could be said of hammers. But we need to go with what we can measure.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.