Ideal 6.5 CM 24" hunting rifle barrel?

Litehiker

Currently I have a new 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro, Browning's top X-Bolt. Mine is the 22" barrel, not the 26" Long Range Pro barrel. I got mine as a "mountain rifle" at 6 lbs. 1 oz. It actually gets 1/2 MOA when I zeroed it with 140 gr. Hornady ELD-M ammo.

A few years from now I'll need a new barrel B/C I'll be shooting this rifle in local varmint competition.

To get a bit more velocity I'll add 2" to the barrel for a 24" total (W/O a brake)

My plan is a Bartlein factory lapped stainless barrel with 5R rifling at a 1:7.5 in. twist to work with bullets 130 grains to 155 grains. (The X-Bolt Pro rifles all have stainless barreled actions.) No CF wrapped barrels will be considered but the barrel will be thin and fluted.

Any other suggestions?

Eric B.

Last edited:
Look at X-Caliber. I have a Batlien, a McGowen and a Pac-Nor They are all quality barrels and if I do my part they all do theirs. My first experience with X-Caliber was a 6.5 CM 26" with a brake . It is a tack driver.

Barrelnut,
I hear you about the X-Bolt Pro carbon fiber stock and I plan never to go through the epoxy finish layer or CF layer and compromise its strength. I need a skinny barrel to fit the stock but I'll have it barely fit the forearm with less of a final taper than the current 22" barrel. It will be necessary to have enough meat at the muzzle. Obviously the Pro CF stock can never fit a Proof Research CF wrapped barrel, even the thinnest one. Because of that I likely will ask for the deepest fluting available for weight reasons. Hopefully adding 2 more inches to barrel length will only add maybe 4 ounces.

turk,
Haven't heard of X-Caliber so I need to investigate it. There are things available with some barrel makers and not with others like cryogenic treatment for example. Thanks for threads up on this brand.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts