6.5 Cm hunting Ammo

The neck shot was my go-to when dispatching injured deer on the roadway. I did have to explain the difference between a neck shot and a throat shot to my non-hunting partner…

The Hornady 143 Precision Hunter is good ammunition and thousands of animals have been taken with it. The fact that you 'believe' you got a good shot, but never recovered the animal, does not mean the ammo is bad. You also stated that you shot 4 other deer with it and recovered them. Sometimes the devil thinks it's funny to screw up a gimmie. I've shot deer where their insides were jell-o and they still ran 100 yards. Other shots have penciled through but the deer are DRT.
With that being said, there are dozens of options for the 6.5CM in factory ammo and people to either back up how well it performs or how horrible it is. I would use whatever gives you the best accuracy and precision out of your rifle. That will give you the confidence to take neck or head shots to save meat.

I've successfully used the 143 ELD-X in handloads on deer. My brother in-law uses the same ammo you're talking about without issue. I wouldn't lose confidence in it just yet. The bullets work.
This^^^^ and works VERY WELL! Probably an OFF shot. I just shot a 275-300 lb Black Bear last week with one...went 10 steps and piled..130 yard shot out of my cabin door.

The neck shot was my go-to when dispatching injured deer on the roadway. I did have to explain the difference between a neck shot and a throat shot to my non-hunting partner…
exactly where in the neck do you shoot them?

The neck shot doesn't always work out well .
I was hoping for guidance from FarmerMatt on how he determines where exactly the spine is on a broadside deer, elk or hog. (they are very different). Straight on shot, is a no brainer of course. I'd heard about how great the base of the neck shot is before, but there are so many big muscles, trachea, esophagus, etc at the base of the neck, it is hard to know exactly where the spine is. A higher shot, up just below the head, has a great chance of either instant death or a clean miss on a deer or elk (not so much on a hog.) But tough on trophies.

I've made DRT high shoulder shots but it's easy to obliterate the backstrap if you are a bit too high. Thus, I always go for the boiler room and hope I don't blow the heart to pieces because I like to fry the heart in my cast iron skillet with onions and olive oil!
IMG_7100.jpeg

And as George Patton opined, the liver is a very healthful organ to eat. I lived in Britain for a spell, could never stomach kidneys. But the right preparation of liver, whether quadruped, or bird, can e very magical.
The wrong one of course is awful.

And as George Patton opined, the liver is a very healthful organ to eat. I lived in Britain for a spell, could never stomach kidneys. But the right preparation of liver, whether quadruped, or bird, can e very magical.
The wrong one of course is awful.
Kidney is good...as long as you WASH.(or soak).the p**s out of it!

My nephew's first deer kill. 6.5CM, 240 yards using Hornady factory ammo 143ELDX. Standing off a tripod. We trained on water jugs at that distance from different field firing positions with a tripod and stick triangulating the buttstock. 240 is the closest distance we can shoot due to the steep ravine between our hide and the clearing.

I took the video through the spotter.