6.5 CM or 6.5 PRC

If you want to use factory ammo in a pinch, go with the 6.5 PRC. If you are only reloading for it, build a 6.5 GAP or 6.5 SS (Sherman Short). I think the CM won't fill your needs. Don't get me wrong, I have one but now I'm wanting something to push the 6.5 bullets with more speed.

I started at 45.0 grns RL 26 with 147 ELD M in Hornady brass and CCI 200 primers in the Creedmoor. Got almost 2900 with 48.0 grns and the 147's. 48 was HOT in my stick. This with 26" barrel.

I shoot a 260REM @ 2800 fps. I have hit targets out to 1260 yds. I can load it hotter, but I have not needed too. I shoot a 6.5 Swede @2900 fps, and I am getting clover leafs at 300 yds.

6.5-284. Runs well in a long action. Factory ammo in a pinch. I am shooting 140's over 3k. Very accurate. Great bullet selection. Barrel life is actually quite good with slower powders (H1000, Retumbo). Lapua brass.

Get an 8 twist long barrel, throated for longer bullets to take advantage of long action. Can do one of the others listed above, but a little more work involved.

That being said, a 6.5 PRC with a long throat for all those new, longer bullets would be great as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts