Did 6.5 PRC obsolete the 6.5 CM only to be made obsolete?

MajorSpittle

It seems to me that Hornady might have killed off their own product.

Who is going to buy a 6.5 CM vs with the 6.5 PRC available now?

So I wonder if Hornady will decide to release a 7.0 PRC in 3 years after everyone upgrades their rifles from 6.5 CM to 6.5 PRC?

Maybe a smarter move would be a 6.8 PRC to shoot all the new round that they will be making for the .277 Fury? Imagine; 270 win level of power in a cartridge that comes factory barreled with 8 twist barrels!

It seems to me that Hornady might have killed off their own product.

Who is going to buy a 6.5 CM vs with the 6.5 PRC available now?

So I wonder if Hornady will decide to release a 7.0 PRC in 3 years after everyone upgrades their rifles from 6.5 CM to 6.5 PRC?

Maybe a smarter move would be a 6.8 PRC to shoot all the new round that they will be making for the .277 Fury? Imagine; 270 win level of power in a cartridge that comes factory barreled with 8 twist barrels!
I don't think the 6.5 cm will ever go away. It's the king of cheap. It's the cartridge for the fellow who's just getting into hunting & shooting. It's every where you look. It's the modern day 270 Winchester. For myself personally, I would rather have the 6.5 prc over the creedmoor. I have both. The 6.5 creedmoor is my rifle I keep for women, kids, Senior citizens & beginners to shoot with. I'm not saying that as a joke but it is good in those situations. I do think that eventually Hornady will release a 7mm cartridge when the steam runs out of 6.5 cal & folks start to get bored with them.

I don't think so. 7mm-08 isn't firing the heavy high BC bullets and 7mags have much more recoil then 7-08.

6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC shoot the same bullets and both have low level of recoil. They both kind of do the same thing but one does it better.
Doesn't do barrel life better. Shooting suppressed in hunting weight rifles is a noticeable difference in recoil. Heat is an issue, 8 rounds with my creed is equal to about 4 shots with my SS when using a Laser thermometer.

Last edited:
Doesn't do barrel life better.

The people who should care about this don't because barrels are expendable. Now the the people who don't know/care about this are the ones who will drive sales of the new 6.5 PRC rifles, and that is 98% of the people that are grabbing the rifles off the shelf at wally world and such.

No, it didn't.

the recoil is significantly more, and general target shooters/prs shooters and wannabe prs shooters are not being pulled to the prc.

on every shooting forum other than this one the CM is suggested over the PRC for 90% of people asking. The PRC is only better for extending hunting ranges.

The 6.5 cm isnt going away. It still is a better target round where it was originally born. The sport of prs/nrl style matches has exploded over the past couple years. The 6.5 cm is extremely popular in those style of sports as well as other target oriented style shootings. The 6.5 cm is also a good hunting round as well as long as you keep it at reasonable distances. Where the 6.5 prc shines is as a hunting cartridge and not much more. Hunters will gravitate toward the 6.5 prc. I dont think either cartridge will go away, but if either of them do I'm betting it's the prc. The CM is turning into the modern day 308.

No, it didn't.

the recoil is significantly more, and general target shooters/prs shooters and wannabe prs shooters are not being pulled to the prc.

on every shooting forum other than this one the CM is suggested over the PRC for 90% of people asking. The PRC is only better for extending hunting ranges.

I don't shoot PRS so I'm not the best to comment on this but don't most that shoot PRS reload and can't they just taylor their PRC loads for what they want?

I would veiw the PRC as just giving me more options. I could be way off on this though.

Many reload but they almost never need the powder capacity the PRC has. They are doing the exact opposite, the current trend is smaller cases. Recoil is the enemy in that sport and they have trended from the 6.5 creed to the 6mm creed to 6dasher. Less bc and less powder doesn't matter, spin the turret and shoot. 6mm cartridges dominate the winners circles and no one wants the powder capacity of the PRC unless it's the odd extreme range match.

it also adds in a fatter case with more issues feeding, less mag capacity and wasted time reloading

for general target shooters the creed still dominates.