6.5 prc or 6.5 284

Onesock

Thinkin about a new build and just wondering what the choice would be here. 6.5PRC or 6.5 284. I know brass is readily available for 6.5 284. So what is everyones preference?

I would be looking at
1. if you want to run factory ammo
2. If your preferred gunsmith has experience/good results/favors one

I just had this discussion/argument with my Dad today haha. Flip a coin. Both are ballistically identical. Both have brass from multiple sources. If you already have an action, that makes the decision easier. The PRC works great on a magnum short action with a 2.950"+ Mag box. The 6.5x284 works the best on a standard long action. Both will push the 140 class bullets to 3000+ FPS and 147-156 bullets 2900-3000FPS. If you don't reload, than the PRC is the obvious choice. I think the PRC is here to stay and will continue to grow and be pushed by manufacturers and be supported. Neither choice is a bad one, I think the PRC is the better choice for the future and in the long run.

I have both. I have had 5 6.5-284's. Love em. However, this PRC has grown on me a lot. It shoots dang near everything well, easy to load for, and is a little faster than the 284. If your criteria was short action, short barrel, and you want to do both reloading and shoot factory ammo options the 6.5 PRC is hard to beat. If you have a long action, I'd likely just stick with the 6.5-284. I have a really nice 6.5-284 I am debating selling because I really enjoy it. I just wonder if it'll be a safe queen now that I have my PRC running well.

I have both. I've not read much on barrel life for the PRC but the 6.5-284 is a barrel burner, my experience was about 1000 rounds and I replaced. For the average hunter the barrel life is probably not a big deal but for a bench shooter, competitive shooter, or recreational shooter that like to send numerous rounds down range it may be a deciding factor. Both of mine are extremely accurate and I believe the PRC will send the new heavier bullets down range with more velocity but I've not experimented as of yet. Good luck with your choice.

I don't have a 6.5 PRC yet but I do have a 6.5 x284 and it shoots lights out. I did have to play around with it to get the bug hole groups but it shot every type and size of factory ammo I put through it in a sub moa group at 100 yards.

I just had this discussion/argument with my Dad today haha. Flip a coin. Both are ballistically identical. Both have brass from multiple sources. If you already have an action, that makes the decision easier. The PRC works great on a magnum short action with a 2.950"+ Mag box. The 6.5x284 works the best on a standard long action. Both will push the 140 class bullets to 3000+ FPS and 147-156 bullets 2900-3000FPS. If you don't reload, than the PRC is the obvious choice. I think the PRC is here to stay and will continue to grow and be pushed by manufacturers and be supported. Neither choice is a bad one, I think the PRC is the better choice for the future and in the long run.

Many rifle builders and Smiths are now recommending to use a magnum long action in a 6.5 PRC build. Especially if one plans on using the heavier projectiles (147-156) and hand loading them at a longer OAL. I spoke to Hornady and Hawkins Precision and a few Smiths and after numerous feedback this was the way I went. If buying a off the shelf rifle I'm not sure if any MFG's have gone this way yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts