6.5-284 or 6.5-06

Blah, blah, blah on barrel life. I shoot a 6.5-284 with 140 vlds at 2975fps and at 1200+ rds it still shoots 1 moa or less out to 1000. 3 shots in 5 inches at 700 is still regular. The other day I was 3 for 5 on a nra ram(16in x 22in) at 1265 yds. Unless you just try to burn up your barrel or measere accuracy loss in thousandths of an inch, throat erosion shouldn't be an issue. That said in defense of the -284, the -06 version I'm sure has drawbacks as well, but they too will be hard to find. Just 6.5 anything and it should be a winner.

Blah, blah, blah on barrel life. I shoot a 6.5-284 with 140 vlds at 2975fps and at 1200+ rds it still shoots 1 moa or less out to 1000. 3 shots in 5 inches at 700 is still regular. The other day I was 3 for 5 on a nra ram(16in x 22in) at 1265 yds. Unless you just try to burn up your barrel or measere accuracy loss in thousandths of an inch, throat erosion shouldn't be an issue. That said in defense of the -284, the -06 version I'm sure has drawbacks as well, but they too will be hard to find. Just 6.5 anything and it should be a winner.

What Barrel do you have on yours?

kinda reminds me of a late friend of mine named Ralph Tolliver. He was a Gunney sargent in the crotch, and later joined the Army Reserves. Brings in these big targets in one day (I'd say 2.5' x 4' with funny looking triangles on them. He was shooting a national match M14 rifle with national match peep sights in 7.62 Nato. His groups were around six to seven inches (five shots). I thought hey anybody could do better than that till he said 1000 meters! He then sat down and asked me about reloading equipment (he had an unlimited budgit thanks to Uncle sam). He buys a Forster press and their N.M. .308 dies pluss a bunch of other toys. Brings me in several sub six inch targets, and one that was a little bigger than five inches using L.C. cases and the Army spec'd bullet. Ralph ended up being the Army service rifle shooting champion one year for Reserves.

When you think you are the best shot out there, then install a set of peep sights and see what happens. I have more than one friend that shoot BPMCR at 1000 yards and shoot that good with open sights
gary

If barrel life is that big a deal and you want to stay with the 6.5's build a 260.

I don't know this to be a fact because I'm not a gunsmith but I don't know why you couldn't have it long throated to seat the bullets way out and gain a little more capacity which should yeild a little more fps. Oh, and Lapua makes brass for the 260 now too. :)

So with the 6.5-06, should I go with a 24" or 26" barrel if I want to get 2900 fps with a 140 out of a packable hunting rifle?

the Hornaday manual shows 2900fps with a 24" barrel, and their loads are known to be conservative. A 26" barrel would give you some margin to work with in that velocity range, but also subject you to some harmonic problems unless you opt for a heavy barrel. The 30-06 case is well known to do well with a 22" barrel so any of thse will do the job.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.