6.5 prc or 6.5 284

Pics or it didnt happen!
Here is the 2020 WSS of BC donation rifle, Kimber Montana 8400 6.5 PRC, 22' Hells Canyon CF barrel, 1-8 twist, palm swell and high comb added to the Montana stock, topped with Talleys and a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 BRH scope

I got to the range this morning and the first group with factory Hornady 143gr ELDX was pretty good,

Then after a scope adjustment and a good cleaning it shot much better,

Thinkin about a new build and just wondering what the choice would be here. 6.5PRC or 6.5 284. I know brass is readily available for 6.5 284. So what is everyones preference?

I prefer the 6.5 PRC over the 6.5-284, you have Hornady, ADG, Bertram, Gunwerks(ADG) brass options, you also have readily available reasonably priced factory ammo, which I have found to be very accurate and consistent
Both cartridges are very similar in performance, so really it may depend on your preference of action to build off since the PRC is .532" magnum bolt face and the 6.5-284 is a .473" standard bolt face.

Really can't go wrong with either one.
Good luck with your build

Last edited:
Brent M, Sweet set up.Guy I know he and son both got wolf.Then he got a double about a week ago with his 6.5

Brent M, Sweet set up.Guy I know he and son both got wolf.Then he got a double about a week ago with his 6.5
Nice. I've only shot 12 so far. Missed a few. Winter mountain hunting can be quite challenging and those wolves are smart. I've been out a few times but no luck yet. Hope that changes.

Why do you only shoot 3 shots on each range trip? ;)
I want to see all the targets!

Yup that's all I shot out of it, what more do I need to see on a donation rifle that someone's going to win, just verifying that it shoots is all, and it shoots fine by me.
Of course it was one of five rifles that I had at the range the last cpl trips.

I have quite a bit of 6.5 X 284 ammo loaded in Lapua brass? You can't buy better.
It shoots like a lazer! I don't see where a 6.5 PRC would improve anything except spending more money..? Here's my 6.5 X 284 it can hang!
IMG_1920.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts