6.5 prc or 6.5 284

I am surprised people have forgot about the 6.5-284. I have a great load with r22 and 147s at 2940. Could be faster, but this was the most accurate. Whacked a marked rock face today at 1242 with 8.8mil. Had my 12" square steel in the back of the truck but we were in a hurry. Best Christmas ever :)

I have quite a bit of 6.5 X 284 ammo loaded in Lapua brass? You can't buy better.
It shoots like a lazer! I don't see where a 6.5 PRC would improve anything except spending more money..? Here's my 6.5 X 284 it can hang!View attachment 165028
I have owned quite a few 6.5x284's and see no reason to switch to the 6.5PRC. Capacity, accuracy, ballistics, and barrel life is identical...The difference will be in choice of rifle, the desire to use factory ammo....I'm not comfortable using factory ammo for LRH, particularly having to re-validate different lots of ammo. Might as well stick with my well proven 6.5x284's.
I recently put one together in an MPA Lite chassis that has comparable ergonomics to my PRS competition rifles, but in a hunting weight package. It's a dream to shoot from a variety of positions, and has exceptional accuracy. Tried it out this past season.
76949299-F755-4BD8-9D66-3E01C054184F.jpeg

Last edited:
Most people who don't have both will argue for the one they have because both work very well. The saum and prc are pretty close in performance and a small step over the 284. It boils down to preference in short vs long action. My choice to go the route of the prc was to run a short action switch barrel rifle that runs the short action cartridges. What was interesting to me is the prc seems to be more at home in a shorter barrel then the 284.
Pick one or get a Sherman short mag....LOL

Most people who don't have both will argue for the one they have because both work very well. The saum and prc are pretty close in performance and a small step over the 284. It boils down to preference in short vs long action. My choice to go the route of the prc was to run a short action switch barrel rifle that runs the short action cartridges. What was interesting to me is the prc seems to be more at home in a shorter barrel then the 284.
Pick one or get a Sherman short mag....LOL
Small step over the 6.5-284? With same powder and bullet combo?

Small step over the 6.5-284? With same powder and bullet combo?
Yep. I've run 135-156 in the prc. I've never had my 284's run the numbers I get out of the prc. This is comparing a 24" 6.5-284 to a 22" prc. Figure 2" is worth about 50 FPS advantage to the 284. I was running 140's in the 24" at 2920-2950. I have 3 24's. My 22" prc runs a 140 at 3020-3050 depending on if it's a vld or eld. Im running a 156 at 2910 in the prc. Same basic speed as the 24's with a 140.

Yep. I've run 135-156 in the prc. I've never had my 284's run the numbers I get out of the prc. This is comparing a 24" 6.5-284 to a 22" prc. Figure 2" is worth about 50 FPS advantage to the 284. I was running 140's in the 24" at 2920-2950. I have 3 24's. My 22" prc runs a 140 at 3020-3050 depending on if it's a vld or eld. Im running a 156 at 2910 in the prc. Same basic speed as the 24's with a 140.
I've seen that kind of difference between chamber/barrels with both 6.5PRC's and 6.5x284's. I don't believe one has any significant edge over the other. Powder capacity between them is just about identical.

Ive been watching some these 6.5 post lately,as I think I would really like one as all around shooter fun gun.On another thread somebody posted that Assuie shooter I think,shoots out to mile +,allot.He had vid comparing 6.5 06 IMP to a 6.5 saum,was very interesting.The saum shoot higher velocity in same loading and could handle more from there,at pressure signs.3 more grains,course just a 2 gun sample.And I dont know how close case was for say capacity.

I've seen that kind of difference between chamber/barrels with both 6.5PRC's and 6.5x284's. I don't believe one has any significant edge over the other. Powder capacity between them is just about identical.
I have built 7. Still haven't seen the 6.5-284 run with a prc. Built 3 prc's. 1 is mine and 2 are for clients. They run faster than mine for some reason. I can't figure out why mine is slower. I suspect chamber or brass. I run adg brass they run Hornady and are seeing 100 FPS more with a 156. Both Of them shot 3000 in a 22" barrel.

like I said earlier, people who don't own both will argue for the one they have. I could careless tho, I have both and right now my prc is doing what it needs to do. I have a 10 lb folding stock chassis rifle with a suppressor and running almost the same speeds as my 28" 6.5-284 non suppressed. Works for me.

Nice. I've only shot 12 so far. Missed a few. Winter mountain hunting can be quite challenging and those wolves are smart. I've been out a few times but no luck yet. Hope that changes.
Wise Man Say: Easiest way to find Wolf, is tie Entrails onto Legs in Woods.

Wise Man Say: Easiest way to find Wolf, is tie Entrails onto Legs in Woods.
Well, I am going to pass on that. I had a rough encounter with a wolf last fall that had me convinced I was in for a fight for my life. I would rather not have them wanting to chew on my legs. Although I have killed them as close as 25ft, I'd rather be several hundred yards away generally. Ha Ha

Darn you guys! Now I gotta find a tikka for a 6.5 prc build!
Took my 6.5-284 out today and found my limit for the scope. We have a few marked rock faces at 1292 and 1351. I could dial to the 1292 but had to hold .5 mil high to hit the 1351. If I built a prc, I wouldn't need to hold over :)

Darn you guys! Now I gotta find a tikka for a 6.5 prc build!
Took my 6.5-284 out today and found my limit for the scope. We have a few marked rock faces at 1292 and 1351. I could dial to the 1292 but had to hold .5 mil high to hit the 1351. If I built a prc, I wouldn't need to hold over :)
Well now that's funny right thar. 1350 is point blank range for the prc

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.