6.5 CM or 6.5 PRC

ramrod79

So I'm just getting components together for another build witch will be based off a tikka action using a Wildcat composites stock. This leads me to a few undecided decisions like witch caliber 6.5 CM witch I have a ton of Hornady brass and dies OR go to a PRC.
This outfit will be for rec shooting and deer hunting maybe the odd elk hunt in back country. I'm looking to keep Barrel at 24" threaded for break. The decision on what cartridge also will decide or help to decide what barrel to put on.
Now I would like to try a 6.5 CM Pre-fit tikka Carbon Six of course this would be a sammi spec as it's a pre fit. If I go to a PRC then I will have KS Arms do a #3 SS 1-7.5 twist set for 15 Berger or 160 Matrix.
What's everyone's thoughts on the whole thing stick with what I have brass and dies for plus a great variety of off shelf ammo and very good brass OR go PRC.
I would like to try PRC BUT I really like the kids CM very accurate and fun to shoot but the extra HP of PRC calls to me.

Ok say I go with PRC ,and I use a C6 Barrel cut to sammi should I go 1-8 or 1-7 they don't do anything in between. When it comes to price the C6 is $1100 to my door ready to screw on if I go KS then it's roughly the same price to chamber and install but I get 1-7.5. Weight wise when gun is done will roughly be close I'm thinking 6.5-7 lb either way.

A creed with reloder 26 does what a prc does with factory ammo (2950 with a 140) Only difference is the prc uses 8 gr more powder. Me personally I'd go creed since your familiar with it and have the components

A creed with reloder 26 does what a prc does with factory ammo (2950 with a 140) Only difference is the prc uses 8 gr more powder. Me personally I'd go creed since your familiar with it and have the components
Put rl-26 in the prc and you'll get 200 fps over the creed still. It's a 2 way street

What bolt face action you have makes a difference. I'm enjoying my PRC a lot and the recoil is mild. With elk in the mix I would want the extra horsepower. As above, if you reload it opens up more options. $1,100 seems very pricey for a barrel to me. I believe I was in about $475 for my prefit from PVA and that included the barrel nut. Barrels are consumables, I'd have a hard time spending that much. 1in8 twist for me, but I haven't run anything bigger than the 147 ELD-M

I have access to either action Standard or Mag. Yes that is Pricy but that's our Canadian prices no way around the costs up here with dollar diff and import fees. If I go with my Can Barrel builder it's 600 for SS fluted barrel plus chambering and install I'm at close to same price. I do lots of reloading so that's not an issue.

So if the majority of the use will be for banging steel at the range, creedmoor all the way. If it will primarily be hunting with the occasional range trip, 6.5 PRC. I just picked up a 6.5 prc which is going to be my primary elk, mule deer rifle, with an occasional trip to the range. Should be awesome...

I'm a huge 6.5 fan and have shot them for 20 plus years. Most of that experience has been with the 6.5x284 and both my longest kills were made with that cartridge, 435 yards on a really big 6pt bull elk by a 125gr Nosler Partition and 400 yards on a Pronghorn with a 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. That was strictly a handloading proposition, as was the 260 Rem I used for about 8 years.

Now having a 6.5 Creedmoor, I can honestly say I could have easily made both those shots with at least eight kinds of factory ammo (that's all I've tried) or with some very easy and inexpensive and time-saving hand loads.

I'm sure the PRC is great and I obviously love its 6.5x284-like ballistics. However, the 6.5 Creedmoor is just so easy and inexpensive to own and shoot well to all sane distances that I don't ever see myself making the change.

My opinion is the CM to kill paper when you know the exact range. But in real world hunting, where you have 10 sec from when you see the animal until it is gone, you don't have time to range it within 10 yards. A 6.5 300 Weatherby is the king of flat shooting and lowest TOF! Take every advantage you can. Out to 500 yards a lightweight Barnes TTSX or LRX in the 4000 fps range is hard to beat.

While Reloader 26 can do magical things, effectively turning a 6.5 Creedmoor into what had been seen as 6.5x284 velocities, it hasn't been available reliably for about a year now. I managed to get 4-1lbs bottles a few months ago to test when there was a slight blip, but anytime I look for 8lb'ers there is nothing.

If this is for a hunting gun and not getting shot a bunch, I don't think I'd give it a second thought and I'd go with a 6.5PRC. Extra velocity just makes things easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.