6.5 Cm hunting Ammo

notacos4u

I was wondering what everyone is using or recommends for factory hunting ammo for deer under 200 yards. I have a zermatt arms TL3 with a 20" 6.5CM proof carbon fiber barrel. I utilized hornady 143 precision hunters previously, but last year I put what I believed was a good shot on a deer at 50 yards away, saw him mule kick, and when I went to track him, I could only find 4 pinhead size drops of blood total for all the tracking we did. If I shoot it in the shoulder, it obliterated them, but lose so much meat doing that.

I've got a buddy that swears by taking neck shots and says he has dropped everyone dead in it's tracks doing it, but he shoots a 270. I'm considering doing it, but I don't take spray and pray shots, when I pull the trigger, I try to make it a point to hit where I aim, or I don't take the shot. not recovering that deer ruined my season last year, as I lost confidence in the ammo and didn't want to risk shooting another deer and losing it. Appreciate any advice.

BTW, I don't reload, so that's not an option currently.

129gr Hornady interlock, their whitetail line of ammo. They'll hold together better for the close up stuff, should be plenty accurate and if you shoot them through the shoulders you should drop them.
The 129sst is also a dynamite deer bullet. I've used them for years in 243 shoot them through the shoulders and they'll drop.
Don't over think things here, unless you have to hunt with lead free ammo.

One more loaded option from a site sponsor too:

I was wondering what everyone is using or recommends for factory hunting ammo for deer under 200 yards. I have a zermatt arms TL3 with a 20" 6.5CM proof carbon fiber barrel. I utilized hornady 143 precision hunters previously, but last year I put what I believed was a good shot on a deer at 50 yards away, saw him mule kick, and when I went to track him, I could only find 4 pinhead size drops of blood total for all the tracking we did. If I shoot it in the shoulder, it obliterated them, but lose so much meat doing that.

I've got a buddy that swears by taking neck shots and says he has dropped everyone dead in it's tracks doing it, but he shoots a 270. I'm considering doing it, but I don't take spray and pray shots, when I pull the trigger, I try to make it a point to hit where I aim, or I don't take the shot. not recovering that deer ruined my season last year, as I lost confidence in the ammo and didn't want to risk shooting another deer and losing it. Appreciate any advice.

BTW, I don't reload, so that's not an option currently.

Mule kick = heart shot, I had 2 of those last year that did not bleed at all.

The 143 eldx is really quite a good hunting bullet at creedmoor velocities.

Mule kick = heart shot, I had 2 of those last year that did not bleed at all.
The 143 eldx is really quite a good hunting bullet at creedmoor velocities.
yeah, definitely mule kicked. We searched for over an hour before it got too dark and like I said, 4 tiny pinhead drops. Figured we'd come back out in the morning, hoping to find more, but it ended up snowing at night, so the possibilities of finding blood was gone. Searched for 3 hours the following morning and found nothing or any sign of where he went.

I think I jumped him when I first started the search because we heard him get up and crash through the thick brush. I think if I was more patient, he would have died right where he bedded down, but light was almost gone, and every other deer I've ever shot at, dropped within 20 yards, but I used to shoot 308 before. The other four deer I've shot with the 143 precision hunters none of them far. Hopefully this year, better luck, nothing worse than shooting an animal and not recovering it.

Nothing wrong with base of neck shots. That's how I grew up learning to hunt except I did it with my dads 243. No track job required. 1 shot and it's time to break out the knives.

If you're only hunting 200 or less stick with a Hornady interlock or partition.