6.5 CM 24" barrel vs 18"

Waynzee

I was checking out this review on the 6.5 CM with barrel length and read were this guy did a velocity test on different barrel length from 27 inches to 16 inches but the thing that caught my interest is the velocity change between 24 and 18 inches, which is only about 200 F.P.S. with a Hornady 120 gr. A Max bullet.(Rifleshooter.com)6.5 creedmoor-Effect of Barrel Length on Velocity:Cutting up the Creedmoor. So, is that real facts, solid info., what do you think?

Think I read that... Guy kept cutting off 1" and a time and the speed loss was not always linear. I think 200 FPS loss with 6" of barrel loss is probably pretty accurate. That is 33.3 FPS per inch. I saw numbers about like that going from a 24" to 26" 300 WSM barrel.

I seen where he actually gained some velocity from 27 to 24 or 25 inches can't remember which length.
I also think that certain powders could be utilized to maximize velocity on a given length.
There is a lot to be said for barrel harmonics and ease of tuning with shorter stiff barrels... There is trade offs for each configuration..

I don't know how this is going to work for LR but I ordered a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM and told my gunsmith to chop the barrel to 18 inches. If nothing else it will make a good truck and woods rig.:D

I have one in its original configuration. And it is very accurate. It's sub MOA for 10 shots across a lot of different charge weights and bullets.
I'm sure 18" will still be super sonic at 1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.