6.5x284 24" vs. 26" Barrel

As to the 6.5x284 of which I have owned quite a few, I have seen more variation in barrel bore/throating characteristics effect on velocity then I have with a 2" difference in barrel length. I have never had an issue getting velocities in the 3000FPS range using 140 class bullets with my 24" 6.5x284's. Additionally, a 24" barrel will get a complete burn with powders as slow as R26/Retumbo. I would certainly not be neurotic about a 2" difference in barrel length.

I'm going to be rebuilding my 6.5x284 that I built a few years ago. It currently is a copy of a Sendero but blueprinted 700 action, Jewell, Bartlein barrel etc. But I find myself not shooting/hunting with it as much as I thought I would. It's just a little heavier then I want to carry around. I'm going to get a Proof Research Barrel and AGC stock and smaller scope to make a fairly light carry rifle. I was thinking about going with a shorter 24" barrel, but I'm afraid I might give up too much velocity. I've always used 26" barrels with a brake and that length never bothered me too much. Thoughts from all of you would be appreciated. Pros and Cons please

I'm just curious about the need for a brake on a 6.5x.284? I like the idea of a different barrel contour to lighten the rifle, however I am a real fan of a longer barrel on an over-bore cartridge. I have a .270 Ackley that I find a bit heavy to carry with a 26 inch barrel, but....I am not carrying it that much, and I'm getting the velocity out of the cartridge; close to 3200+fps with 150gr ABLRs.

Heck I have a brake on my 6.5 creed's and 204. Especially my comp rifles. I actually don't have any on my 6.5-284's...weird. Is it needed, NO. Does it help with muzzle jump, yep. Watching a bullet trail into the target is priceless to me.

I have my 6.5x284 braked now and it has basically zero recoil. I like it to be able to spot hits.

I'd ask yourself an honest question. Did you avoid the original rifle because of weight or length? I think that will answer your question. It would suck to drop that much money into a rebuilt semi custom to discover you still don't reach for it.

I went through a similar exercise and discovered I disliked the extra length more than the added weight. I also don't hunt LR with that rifle, so I cared more about handling.

One of the disadvantages of using a CF wrapped barrel, or even a fluted steel barrel for that matter, is you can't shorten them. Fluted steel barrels you can shorten a little but not much and certainly not like you can an unfluted all steel barrel.

I recently bought a Proof CF barrel in 6mm/.243 cal and spent literally days going back and forth on whether to get a 20 or 22. I came to the conclusion I was grossly overthinking the obvious, that being, I was wanting to build a compact rifle so why am I squabbling with myself over any velocity lost by going two inches shorter and bought the 20.

I have built a lot of 6.5-284s. I have 2 right now. One has a 25" barrel and one has a 25 1/2" barrel. I also just chambered up a Schneider poly in 6-284. That one is 24 1/2". I have found that 25" is plenty with the 6.5-284. IF my choice was between 24 and 26 for hunting it would be 24. I can get 2900-3000 depending on the powder from 25". The accuracy node for the 140s is often right at 2900.

I'm waiting for my 6.5-284 to come back with a Proof barrel from the gunsmith. Debated for some time and went with 24". I have several hunting rifles with 26" barrels and anxious to drop a couple in the field.

Great feedback so far!! I don't pack in miles and miles to go shoot anything but, I will walk several miles in a day. Antelope, whitetail, muleys and the occasional elk are the game I'll be hunting. My struggle is partly that I already have a 260 and I don't want to make my 6.5x284 into another 260. But, 50fps wouldn't bother me much. My current load is a little mild anyhow.

keep in mind you're probably only talking a weight savings of maybe four to six ounces cutting off two inches.

I'm old, fat, and crippled and if it were me I'd keep the two inches for the added velocity and better accuracy.

As to the 6.5x284 of which I have owned quite a few, I have seen more variation in barrel bore/throating characteristics effect on velocity then I have with a 2" difference in barrel length. I have never had an issue getting velocities in the 3000FPS range using 140 class bullets with my 24" 6.5x284's. Additionally, a 24" barrel will get a complete burn with powders as slow as R26/Retumbo. I would certainly not be neurotic about a 2" difference in barrel length.
That's not quite right.

Shoot it in the dark sometime and have someone video it.

The flash you see is powder that is still burning, much of which only ignites after leaving the bore.

I had the same issue when I build a 280ai years ago, beat myself up for a couple weeks over it, I never did decide between a 24 or a 26......went with a 25, just split the difference, you lose a little on one end and gain a little on the other. Couple ounces doesn't matter, neither does 25-30 fps.
I have days I wish it was 28 and days I wish it was 22, Soon as I figure out how to build a telescoping barrel, I'll let you know.

That's not quite right.

Shoot it in the dark sometime and have someone video it.

The flash you see is powder that is still burning, much of which only ignites after leaving the bore.

The flash,(different from the "fireball" caused by insufficient barrel length),of my 24" 6,5x284's is consistent with those produced my 30-06, 270, with the same length barrel/powder..... because the case capacity is similar. Some claim the burn is better with the 6.5x284 then those mentioned due to the fatter case geometry.

Greyfox,
What barrels have you used that has been repeatable at giving you 3000 fps from barrel to barrel. I still have not rebarrel my savage and still wonder what barrel to go with? I will be doing a 26 inch barrel when I get it down.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts