6.5 CM hunting bullets

My daughter shoots a 130 OTM in her 6.5SLR @ 2925fps from a 22" suppressed.

She has smoked 3 mule deer and a pronghorn, and I shot my pronghorn with it last year too. All DRT. @ 250ish, 391, 454, 532, 637.

I've shot several pronghorn, whitetails, and pigs with the 140 eld-m out of the 6.5 CM from 20-530 yards. All were down within 20 yards, although I will agree with a previous post that they do open up violently. Never had a pass through with them unless it was past 150 yards, they expand quickly. In all instances the vitals were destroyed, but I wouldn't want to use them on anything bigger than deer personally. Also had great luck with the 143 eld-x and 140 Berger with the 6.5 CM which are two current go-to bullets for game with the creed.

If you are an under 300y hunter the 140 accubond pushed with RL26 will be pretty effective. I can run it up to 2900fps before I run out of powder space (in nosler brass). Pretty decent performer for normal ranges.

I like the 127lrx out of my 26N but I dont think the 6.5cm is fast enough to need a copper mono, or really make a 127gr copper mono work that well past 200ish yards.
You've never shot a hammer copper mono.
What your saying is why I wasn't a fan of others but I can say that I'm able to get excellent expansion at over 500 yards with the hammer with a behind the shoulder shot no heavy bone.
I run my hammers out to 600 on game and have always had perfect exit hole about 1.5" in size.

I shot antelope with the 147 this year because they are light boned and skinned fairly easy to kill. The performance is absolute garbage. They started coming apart when they hit hair. Would not even fully penetrate the off side rib cage. Entrance wounds looked like exits I would not want to shoot a big deer with it or shoot head on or angling to shots
I've had similar results with the 147 6.5, 162 7mm and 180 7mm. Don't recommend any of them for hunting. I really tried to make them work, but they're just not made for that. Y had far better results using a 123 sst @3000fps

Last edited:
So I bought my 6.5 CM so I could shoot and practice long range. I worked up a great load for 147 ELDM. Now I want a hunting load. In my .270 I have been using LRX which is awesome. The purpose of the 6.5 is long aerodynamic bullets so I don't see the logic in going to the lighter monolithic solids for it. Can the lack of of BC be compensated by the additional speed or should I go with the Accubond , ELDX or some other cup and core high BC bullet
I enjoy the 127lrx in the Creedmoor. It's not much lighter than the 270s 129 gr lrx but has higher BC. Before the Remington bankruptcy, Barnes indicated they were working on a heavier 6.5 LRX much like the options they have for the 7mm. I'm looking forward to those when they finally get it done so I can use them in my PRC.

if you love the LRX in the .270, I'd say stick with the LRX in Creedmoor as well. I've used them to kill deer and elk. Works great.

I amazed no one has mentioned the 143 grain ELD-X. I have had fantastic results with the 143 g ELD-X out of my Creedmoor at all ranges. It also has excellent BC and sectional density.
I too have had great results with 143 ELDX cant find 'em now ! so trying to find second best. Some say they dont produce a blood trail,I cant comment cause every Elk,Mule deer,Antelope folded DRT in its tracks for me,I'm NOT bragging, just the facts.

If you are an under 300y hunter the 140 accubond pushed with RL26 will be pretty effective. I can run it up to 2900fps before I run out of powder space (in nosler brass). Pretty decent performer for normal ranges.

I like the 127lrx out of my 26N but I dont think the 6.5cm is fast enough to need a copper mono, or really make a 127gr copper mono work that well past 200ish yards.
I am about to begin creating this exact combination for my son's Savage 6.5CM using the 140 accubond. Would you mind sharing your basic recipe using the RL26 knowing it has to start lower? I'll also be using new Nosler brass. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.