6.5-06 Question

huntoregon

Friend of mine was given a 6.5-06 and wants to do some reloading for it. We are both pretty inexperienced.

Is it as simple as buying a set of dies and running some .30-06 brass through the sizing die and then trimming if needed?

Depending on your chamber neck size, expanding the necks of 25-06 or trimming and necking down 270 brass might be a better choice for you.

I helped my buddy load for his 6.5-06 and we found that necking up 25-06 cases worked best. We found that it helps to use a sizing die that has a tapered expander ball like is found in Honady and Lee sizing dies. We were using Lee dies that came with the rifle which he got in a trade. We came up with a good load with H4831 and Nosler 120 BTs for deer in bean fields in east NC.

I would use an expander mandrel to neck them up instead of using a sizing die.

I use either Lapua 30-06 and turn the necks or Norma 270 and trim to length. I turn the necks on all my brass so don't mind turning the Lapua. Use a carbide trimmer and it makes quick work of the 270s. I load the 6.5-06 hot and get 5 loads a piece out of the Lapua. Just started on the Norma. I first used the 30-06 because that is what I had on hand and it worked great. Just start with what you may have around. The 6.5-06 I have is not very picky

As said 25-05 is the easiest, 270 is next.

But I have rifles in both so I have been using 30-06 brass.

You will have to trim them a lot if you choose to use 30-06 but is not a tough job. I'd rather do the extra work to save the confusion with the head stamp on the brass.

Since I have no brass and the rifle probably won't get shot a bunch maybe I'll just start with the 25-06.

So an expander mandrel is the way to go?

I use 270 brass for mine,only because I also shoot a 25-06 & 30-06. It's just an easy way to keep all the brass separated. I just neck it down in my bushing die,and then trim all the cases using a RCBS Trim die,and trim it down to the die,then chamfer.

If you use 270 brass, you should trim it before you size it.
When I form .270 Win into pre-prepped .25-06 AI brass, I remove the sizing ball and stem from the FL die, and then trim them .020" too long and chamfer and deburr the case neck, then I put the expander ball back in the FL die, and then run them through again to make sure they are fine and then measure again to ensure they're the proper length of being .020" too long.

I prefer necking down 270 win and trimming, however there is nothing 'wrong' with expanding 25/06. Once you fire it in your 6.5/06 you can neck size or full-length size. Watch the case length as go forward

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.