30-06 shooters Question

H4831 sc. Max in my 10 twist rifle is 57.8 g. I found best accuracy at 56.6g. YMMV, work up to it. I just ordered a couple hundred of the whiskey 3 230g rbbt to try out. They claim a .846 BC vs the Berger OTM at .719. The Bergers drops prove that to be true. I'll see soon enough. I use the Berger mostly in my 30/338 win. That Berger bullet is the real deal.

H4831 sc. Max in my 10 twist rifle is 57.8 g. I found best accuracy at 56.6g. YMMV, work up to it. I just ordered a couple hundred of the whiskey 3 230g rbbt to try out. They claim a .846 BC vs the Berger OTM at .719. The Bergers drops prove that to be true. I'll see soon enough. I use the Berger mostly in my 30/338 win. That Berger bullet is the real deal.
thanks, I'm currently shooting 200smks -210smks sierra advertise .645 on the 210s hornaday has .648 on the 208amax they shoot really well out of my 06. I'm also interested in those whiskey bullets, good luck hope to hear your results....

It's hard not to like the old 06. With a 10 twist it really shines. The 200g + bullets are really great in them. Velocity is respectable, and with the new high BC bullets it really makes sense. With quality optics and rangefinders it's just about not fair.

It's hard not to like the old 06. With a 10 twist it really shines. The 200g + bullets are really great in them. Velocity is respectable, and with the new high BC bullets it really makes sense. With quality optics and rangefinders it's just about not fair.
I hate a .30-06....Always have, always will. But I don't mind my .30-06 AI. Something about that long tapered design with a 17-degree neck just doesn't do it for me... I don't know why. That's also why I don't like the standard .25-06, but I love the .25-06 AI.

It is undeniable that the .30-06 and the .25-06 are 2 of the most successful game hunting calibers that have ever been invented. Althought the .30-06 started life as a miltary round.

I agree, I will probably never shoot anything under 200gr.

I agree, I will probably never shoot anything under 200gr.

I like my 165's! haha. A bit more capacity than the .308 win with a generous taper. Not only is it pretty, but it also means you can rechamber to just abother any other long action round.

I have come to respect my female's salvage axis in .270 though. The only real problem I have with it is a sloppy trigger and the body is garbage. Otherwise it shoots great for a $200 rifle!

I like my 165's! haha. A bit more capacity than the .308 win with a generous taper. Not only is it pretty, but it also means you can rechamber to just abother any other long action round.

I have come to respect my female's salvage axis in .270 though. The only real problem I have with it is a sloppy trigger and the body is garbage. Otherwise it shoots great for a $200 rifle!
50grns imr4064 165grn hornaday interlocs Win. Brass Fed. 210 primers seated to the cannalure @ 2860fps. out of my 24in. TC Venture is less than 1/2 moa out to 500 yrds but fall off quickly after that. I went to 200grn. Smks for more reach, but I was in love with 165grn till I extended my range....

I've got several bigger/badder rifles than the 30-06 (which is the first rifle I ever bought) and I noticed that I wasn't taking it out much so I thought I'd load it down to the 150 grainers for something different - but I still wanted to take on elk if the need arose so I went with the 150 TTSX. I also had a keg of RL-17 sitting around and gave that a try. Turns out this combo really works.

The recipe:
58.0 grains RL-17, 150 grain Barnes TTSX, Fed 210 primer, COAL is 3.328" which is 0.063" off. This gives 3,030 fps out of a semi custom Sako Finnbear with a 26 inch, 1 in 10 twist #4 Kreiger (heavy sporter), glass/pilar bedded in the original stock but with Limbsaver recoil pad, the barrel floats.

Anyway at 200 yards it grouped 0.812" and 0.656" the last two times to the range. The thing that really got my attention though was the ES which was 5 fps for the first group and 2 fps for the second! If only my long range rigs could do that. I have no other rifle even close to this ES.

50grns imr4064 165grn hornaday interlocs Win. Brass Fed. 210 primers seated to the cannalure @ 2860fps. out of my 24in. TC Venture is less than 1/2 moa out to 500 yrds but fall off quickly after that. I went to 200grn. Smks for more reach, but I was in love with 165grn till I extended my range....

Aye the bigger bullets keep their energy longer but I'm not usually shooting over 500 yards with the 06. I need to start doing some more for the sake of target practice but I don't know if I'd trust an 06' for mulies past 500 yards with my accuracy... we'll see this coming year though

Aye the bigger bullets keep their energy longer but I'm not usually shooting over 500 yards with the 06. I need to start doing some more for the sake of target practice but I don't know if I'd trust an 06' for mulies past 500 yards with my accuracy... we'll see this coming year though
out to 500yrds I don't think you can go wrong with 165gr. Boat tail at 2800-3000fps

the SST's do fine
I would have to agree. I bet they would be a better choice than the original interloc out of my rifle also, possibly extending the range for 165s but I went heavy so the 208gr. Amax is my next work up...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.