30-06 OAL & Ogive Question

Newbie here be gentle...

I traded some guns to shake things up with a pale. I ended up with a Ruger Hawkeye FTW in .30-06. I actually shot it a bit and helped him site it in. It's a nice accurate rifle with some factory ammo. I bought some star line brass and some Nosler AccuBond 165 gr bullets.

I took a ogive measurement with the Accubond's I plan on loading. I came up with 2.694". I've got a dummy round set up at 2.682". The OAL in my reloading book states 3.285" for my set up. My OAL is 3.310". It cycles fine in the rifle. No mag we'll hang ups.

Questions:

1. Will my OAL give me pressure issues? I assume it wouldn't - the opposite impact.

2. Am I too far off on the ogive or just right? I've read about 0.005" off as a starting point. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Just remember, when starting that close to the lands (be sure you are there) start with low enough charges to work up to pressure. I was getting pressure signs earlier than I had hoped and had to re-work everything. I thought I had the OAL figured out, until I watched this. I have made some seating changes...

Newbie here be gentle...

I traded some guns to shake things up with a pale. I ended up with a Ruger Hawkeye FTW in .30-06. I actually shot it a bit and helped him site it in. It's a nice accurate rifle with some factory ammo. I bought some star line brass and some Nosler AccuBond 165 gr bullets.

I took a ogive measurement with the Accubond's I plan on loading. I came up with 2.694". I've got a dummy round set up at 2.682". The OAL in my reloading book states 3.285" for my set up. My OAL is 3.310". It cycles fine in the rifle. No mag we'll hang ups.

Questions:

1. Will my OAL give me pressure issues? I assume it wouldn't - the opposite impact.

2. Am I too far off on the ogive or just right? I've read about 0.005" off as a starting point. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Sounds short. If the rifle has a longish history in service, you might think about securing some nitrile glove fingers over the muzzle and with a thick folded towel for the muzzle to rest on, clamp it to a work bench and fill the bore to chamber with Hoppes Benchrest 9 and let it soak at least over night. I do it about 16 hrs min on real problem guns. Then drain it and using a bore guide, brush it repeatedly with a bronze-phos brush. I hate that part but it is necessary sometimes. If its a long history gun, I bet you get surprised by the chamber dimension after this kind of cleaning. I've seen it change 0.040".

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.