5,000 fps coyote rifle?

300 RUM 17 Twist 110 Vmax well over 4500 fps, a 308 beside it for reference.

rum333_zps758b6413.jpg

Last edited:
I second the sabot idea. I think I'd pick the highest BC solid I could find, since you will have plenty of length in the sabot to play with and they ought to hold up in flight, and use a 300wsm or similar cartridge. Since this is your money I'm playing with, a gain twist Bartlein or similar with as much length as they can provide would be the barrel.

EABCO still sells the sabots and seater dies.

I second the sabot idea. I think I'd pick the highest BC solid I could find, since you will have plenty of length in the sabot to play with and they ought to hold up in flight, and use a 300wsm or similar cartridge. Since this is your money I'm playing with, a gain twist Bartlein or similar with as much length as they can provide would be the barrel.

EABCO still sells the sabots and seater dies.

Sabots have their place but long range hunting is not one of them. The problem with them is stability due to rotational deficiency and the fact that when the Sabot releases from the bullet it can alter the bullet path.

Years ago Remington tried this concept in several calibers and they were smoking hot, but at 100 yards they had already lost any close range accuracy. They are very effective in smooth bore barrels and as long as the projectile has fins that will rotate the projectile.

It does solve the problem of rotational stress, but they are just not accurate enough for the type of shooting/hunting we do. It trades one problem for another.

J E CUSTOM

Sabots have their place but long range hunting is not one of them. The problem with them is stability due to rotational deficiency and the fact that when the Sabot releases from the bullet it can alter the bullet path.

Years ago Remington tried this concept in several calibers and they were smoking hot, but at 100 yards they had already lost any close range accuracy. They are very effective in smooth bore barrels and as long as the projectile has fins that will rotate the projectile.

It does solve the problem of rotational stress, but they are just not accurate enough for the type of shooting/hunting we do. It trades one problem for another.

J E CUSTOM

I recall having sabot problems with shotgun slugs years ago. They were two-part sabots, and sometimes one half would be found further down range than the other, which led me to believe that they weren't both falling off the slug at the same time. When this occurred ( which was usually in gusty conditions ) sometimes the slugs actually tumbled. We found a few that hit the target sideways, some broke in half and hit the target in pieces, and some didn't hit the target at all. We had best accuracy on calm days, but how often is it calm on a November deer hunt ? We did kill a ton of deer with these loads, but we also missed a bunch of them and were left wondering what happened. While I'd like to try some sabots in a rifle to see what kind of velocities I'd get, I'm pretty sure that JE CUSTOM is right when he says the accuracy isn't going to be sufficiently good for long range work.

If you can get a bullet to travel 4500 fps, there is very little drop out to 400 yards. which comes in very handy in most situations.

My whole gun and barrel collection revolves around High velocity shooting and has for a long time, I have friends and colleagues that have said that they get bored with a certain rife or caliber that they have. Let me tell you this that thought has never crossed my mind with any of my rigs.

Dean

This by far is my favorite varmint rifle, it shoots Barnes original 50 cal 300gr bullets at 4200 fps all it takes is 240gr of RL17 to do it. I know that those bullets have the lowest BC in the history of man kind, but it is still a 300gr traveling at over 4000 fps. I think of it as launching a cinder block LOL.
The scope has something like 150min of adjustment and I have never even used one min of them. Barrett and varmint in the same sentence who would have thunk. the 450gr originals also work pretty good they exit the muzzle in the high 3000 fps.
Dean
upload_2019-11-24_21-0-1.png
upload_2019-11-24_21-1-6.png

Last edited:
My whole gun and barrel collection revolves around High velocity shooting and has for a long time, I have friends and colleagues that have said that they get bored with a certain rife or caliber that they have. Let me tell you this that thought has never crossed my mind with any of my rigs.

Dean

I know what you mean, Sir. Several decades ago, I and my buddies were all in the practice of shooting woodchucks during the summer in western Pennsylvania. Our excuse was that we needed to practice with our deer rifles ( mostly 308's ) but mostly, we just liked to shoot woodchucks. It was great fun, and we had a ball doing it. Then one day my uncle went to a crow shoot, and won a prize. It was a rifle that he had no use for, but when he went to pick it up at the gun shop, the guy offered him a Remington 700 in 22-250 instead. Boy did that ever change things on our woodchuck hunts ! All of a sudden, we were all quoting from ballistics charts, and we were stretching the limits of our capabilities to ranges we had never operated at before. This was all from adding 1000 fps to the velocity of our bullets. One has to wonder - would adding another 1000 fps make the same difference all over again ???

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.