5,000 fps coyote rifle?

On a lighter note and while we are on the subject of Varmint guns, the pic in my avatar is a canon that Gerald Bull built the barrel is three feet in diameter and over 300 feet long. I use to go see it all the time and sit back and just and just admire it it was on the Vermont Canadian border. It had been abandoned for a long time I had this pipe dream of buying it but was not meant to be. the day that they chopped it up and buried it was one of the saddest days of my life I am not embarrassed to say I actually had tears running down my face.

Dean
PS: I have some pics of me standing on it and beside it for a good prospective of just how larger than life that thing was. it was a marvel of engineering as far as I am concerned. The man was a ballistic genius.
bull1990test-min.jpg

a37fb20d-5a12-4f5f-b671-5902f32b69fc_JDX-2x1_WEB.jpg

supercanon2%20001%20(2).jpg

GVBull_CanonBasseRes.jpg

Saw 3 cannons like that in Iraq pointed at Kurdistan...

CRAZY

After using the 223 WSM and achieving over 4600 ft/sec accurate groups and stopping, I had thought about a 338 rum necked down to .224 because of the case capacity. I have a 30 x 378 but felt it would be inefficient with to much powder.

I had looked at other cartridges and decided that the 338 RUM's case capacity would be about max and if I improved it to 40o shoulder, the efficiency should also boost velocity along with more freebore.

I also feel that a 28'' to 30'' barrel a more manageable length and is an optimum length for velocity and accuracy.

Mono metal bullets would be mandatory and a slow twist rate for such high speed .224 Bullets. I had good luck with the 1 in 15 twist and to add barrel life a 3 groove barrel with wider lands would be my recommendation.

More powder and longer barrels are not always the answer to get extreme velocity, and efficient cartridges that can get more from a charge of powder can make up the difference because it can enhance the total performance of a given powder charge.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I know the "light and fast" isn't the best method for extreme long range, but that isn't what this is about. This is about hitting 5000 fps or dang close for having the farthest possible aim on fur range. Also, getting stupid fast speeds, just because. I would like to discuss how to get to 5000 fps. Also, I know it has already been done. Also, I know that barrel life will likely be 500-700 rounds. Maybe even less. Don't care. This also isn't going to be a 1000 yard rifle with these light bullets. I want 400+ yards of coyote point blank range, the more the better. I'm going to develop a load, zero it, and every shot fired after that will hopefully kill a coyote. Now that we got that out of the way....

In the coyote hunting I have done, if I have missed a shot it was for one of two reasons. Either I misjudged the range and hit high/low using my .223, or it took me too long trying to range a dog and put the dope in my rifle, and they moved off. The best results I have had has been with my 22-250 using 40 grain v-max pills around 4000 fps, zeroed at 300 yards, I could aim on fur out to about 350 or so on a dog. I would like to make that even farther.

This will be with a 22 cal, I think going up to 6mm will require a good bit more cartridge to get there, and going town to 20 cal or 17 takes away some energy potential. I want to use the 44 grain hammer hunter, as a mono it should hold together just fine and will do a number to coyotes. I plan on HBN coating these, maybe squeeze a little more speed out and hopefully improve the already short barrel life.

My initial thought is a 22-243 improved, quality brass is plentiful. But then I figured, it would be easier to put together a 22-284 and get a little more capacity, but would that even be big enough? Possibly a 22-284 improved? With proper powders and a 30" barrel of the proper twist, would 5,000 fps be attainable with an HBN coated 44 grain hammer?

What are thoughts? Any other ideas on how to get a 44 grain pill to 5,000 fps?
Have you given any thought to inventing a laser rifle ? may the force be with you young coyote walker,

I had great success shooting a quarter size target at 400 yards using a 220 swift. Not 5000 fps but moves a 50 grain sierra soft point at 4330. It took out a 175 lb Russian bore running at 150 and a big Axis at 200. Closest thing to lightning that I ever had in my hands! I'm not sure about barrel life. It's a 1970's ruger M77 with a target barrel. I shot it a good bit but I mainly use an ar15 or 10 now for varmints. I also love a 6mm Rem which use to be one of my main guns. Besides the ar's I use 300 weatherby mag for mule deer. The swift was still shooting very accurate before I put it in the safe. Maybe I should dust it off.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.