3650 yards target nailed !!!

Watched that video 6 times and I believe Kirby is correct ..I only saw one hit and as stated on a 12 ft x12 ft target. Not much to brag about there...Kirby you need to put one of your units together and set up a 3 ft square target at that range and produce real world results..I believe you are 100 % correct on this one..

I am about 80% confident that not even one of my full tilt XHS in 338 AM could reach out to 2 miles with consistency as I would define it anyway. May have to start looking for a place to test this however.

Just don't ell the 7mm guys they can't shoot 2 miles and out pound the 375 CT or all hell will break loose :cool:

Sorry, just couldn't resist :D

You can tell yourself you can do ANYTHING in this old world, only those that have true confidence actually try and are alright to fail. More importantly, being able to admit when we reach our limits is just as important as pushing our limits.

..Kirby you need to put one of your units together and set up a 3 ft square target at that range and produce real world results...

Kirby,

You can use mine with 300gr sorted Bergers if you want. I have everything needed except the dies and brass...of course still waiting on the gun. I'm assuming it's about complete.

Only Caveats, I have to be there and 3K max. I'm not interested in 2 mile shots. I've been there and done that and beyond enough to know that's not what I'm looking for or need to experience.

It has been my experience that certain bullets will hold precision (grouping) at sub sonic velocities better than others. It is not necessarily the one with the higher BC. So, if it were my goal to shoot 2 miles with precision, I would go at it with this in mind. I also haven't witnessed great precision from any bullet turned in a lathe. If you want it to group at 2 miles, it first has to group at 1 mile. As far as cheytac based cases are concerned, are they even capable of1/4 moa at any range?

Tom

Kirby,

You can use mine with 300gr sorted Bergers if you want. I have everything needed except the dies and brass...of course still waiting on the gun. I'm assuming it's about complete.

Only Caveats, I have to be there and 3K max. I'm not interested in 2 mile shots. I've been there and done that and beyond enough to know that's not what I'm looking for or need to experience.

I am hoping to have bullets in the air out of your rifle this week. So we will see what happens and maybe we can set something up to reach out 3K. The old place I tested several years ago is no longer available to me so would need to find a new spot.

It has been my experience that certain bullets will hold precision (grouping) at sub sonic velocities better than others. It is not necessarily the one with the higher BC. So, if it were my goal to shoot 2 miles with precision, I would go at it with this in mind. I also haven't witnessed great precision from any bullet turned in a lathe. If you want it to group at 2 miles, it first has to group at 1 mile. As far as cheytac based cases are concerned, are they even capable of1/4 moa at any range?

Tom

The Cheytac parent case is more then capable of 1/4 moa. I use this case in my 338 and 375 AM and both have shot a load of 1/4 moa groups. This is my personal best three shot group at 1800 yards fired with one of my XHS repeaters in 375 Allen Magnum.

ImportedPhotos00019-1.jpg

The three shot cluster measured just a hair under 4" ctc so well under 1/4 moa. The impact at the bottom of the gong was made from 4 hours earlier when I was trying to hit the gong in severe mirage and out of 5 shots, that's the only one that hit. Later in the evening, clouds came over, cooled off for no mirage and no wind, perfect shooting conditions and it showed with a great group as a result.

The Cheytac case is very capable of fine accuracy.

I would agree that I have a preference for lead core bullets for best accuracy over a wide range of different rifles. Solids can be very finicky depending on bore diameter but if the match is right, they can be amazing. Still, the lead core bullets ARE more forgiving over all.

maybe we can set something up to reach out 3K. The old place I tested several years ago is no longer available to me so would need to find a new spot.

Glad to hear the gun is almost complete. Some great mornings to shoot this time of year.

Hmmm Maybe we need cut the BS. Then get a group of the good ole boys together kind a shoot off at 3500 yards. So find a place to set it up , make a video pound a bunch of bullets at 8 foot by 8 foot chunk of steel. or 6x6 piece

Sort of a come one come all shoot. Take the gloves off ! !

Also this would put aside any doubts about what works. Test some good equipment

Would make for a good thread to read.

Kirby has been at this for may a year. My money is on the guy who has spent a life long dream on making guns for long range. What ever that is to some.

Great read so far.

God Bless everyone.

Jeff

Love to shoot flatter, faster and above all farther

The Cheytac parent case is more then capable of 1/4 moa. I use this case in my 338 and 375 AM and both have shot a load of 1/4 moa groups. This is my personal best three shot group at 1800 yards fired with one of my XHS repeaters in 375 Allen Magnum.

ImportedPhotos00019-1.jpg

The three shot cluster measured just a hair under 4" ctc so well under 1/4 moa. The impact at the bottom of the gong was made from 4 hours earlier when I was trying to hit the gong in severe mirage and out of 5 shots, that's the only one that hit. Later in the evening, clouds came over, cooled off for no mirage and no wind, perfect shooting conditions and it showed with a great group as a result.

The Cheytac case is very capable of fine accuracy.

I would agree that I have a preference for lead core bullets for best accuracy over a wide range of different rifles. Solids can be very finicky depending on bore diameter but if the match is right, they can be amazing. Still, the lead core bullets ARE more forgiving over all.

Thanks, that answers that. My only limited experience around one of those things was not nearly as impressive. Of course we made him, as the rules dictate, shoot 10.... wasn't pretty lol.

Tom

At what range are your bullets subsonic under the environmental conditions you reference 1 moa to 2500-2700 yds?

Yes, about 2650 with the Terminator +P. But we have shot the Bergers in many slower 338's and found good results even after the sonic transition. Most of this testing was above 3500 feet.

Jeff

Here are som pics form when I tested 300 grs Bergers at 2200 yards at sea level.
MV was 2736 fps out of my 338LM. It was a very mild load, but it held tight groups at 1000 yards.

The 5 shot group measures 40 inches, including the coldbore shot.
The bullet has no problems going through the transonic range and into subsonic speed. It was a bit windy, and I struggled with the terrain where I was shooting from, it was a wet spot, and I sunk deeper down into it for every shot I made.

Will try again when my new barrel in 338LM Imp is ready.

20121006_155024.jpg

20121006_155127.jpg

Glad to hear the gun is almost complete. Some great mornings to shoot this time of year.

Load development starts this morning, will keep you posted. Looking to drive the 300 gr Berger to 3350-3400 fps in your 32" barrel length with good brass life. Do not think that will be a problem. Will keep you posted with results.

Also going to go out tonight and look for some 3K places to shoot. I think I have a couple possible places to go but have to check them out first. May be running cattle on them right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.