3650 yards target nailed !!!

Nothin' I like better than a challenge!:D

Next week I go a mile.

Then I think I upgrade to some solids to go beyond that.

Gonna be a fun ride.

If a 375 CT can do it, a 375 AM certainly will!

If that shooter can do it from that crooked position me things this old man has a chance:D

Nothin' I like better than a challenge!:D

Next week I go a mile.

Then I think I upgrade to some solids to go beyond that.

Gonna be a fun ride.

If a 375 CT can do it, a 375 AM certainly will!

If that shooter can do it from that crooked position me things this old man has a chance:D

L:DL! Go for it Roy !!! gun)

Unless there is live, real time camera video of the hit actually happening, I would have to call BS!!!

Again, would have to see that to believe it because nothing they put on that video was proof of any hit at all.

To that point, they are shooting a target that is 12 FEET x 12 FEET!!!! And they SUPPOSEDLY got hits on the very edges of the target........ Lets see, you aim dead center on that target, that give you a 4 moa sized target to hit and they can barely get one on target, again with no actual real time proof of the hits.

Even if they hit the target OCCASIONALLY which is all it would be, its not precision shooting, as there is no consistency to the groups. barely hitting a 4 moa target is not what I call precision. Hell, even if they could consistently keep all shots on that 12 FOOT x 12 FOOT target at 3650 yards that would be inpressive but I would bet a sizable amount of cash that they would not be able to do that.

I guess this does not mean much to me. Getting lucky and HITTING a HUGE target at this range does not mean the rifle system is a 2 mile rifle. It means that consistency is gone but if you put enough rounds down range, you will get lucky, MAYBE!!!

Hell, a small 12 seat school bus does not have that much square footage on it from the side profile.

Sorry guys, have to call BS on this one. Not saying they did not hit it but it was not skill or precision at that range, it was flat out luck.

Bring on the hate if you will. Wonder how the boys over on the HIDE would react to this. In all honesty, they would probably all have wet spots in their pant but if you post a three shot group over there, they will BAN you!!!

Good for a giggle though.

Wonder how the boys over on the HIDE would react to this. In all honesty, they would probably all have wet spots in their pant but if you post a three shot group over there, they will BAN you!!!

Good for a giggle though.

I almost didn't open this thread. But after Kirby sounded in, I did. Based on his Hide comment alone - it was worth it! :)

Certainly unique shooting anything to 2 miles or more. To each his own I guess. I preferred a 120mm for that range. It's a little too close for a 155 for the ooooohhhh factor. Again, to each his own.

Certainly unique shooting anything to 2 miles or more. To each his own I guess. I preferred a 120mm for that range. It's a little too close for a 155 for the ooooohhhh factor. Again, to each his own.

I have no problem pushing things to the limits and past even but do not come off as this is something they can do repeatedly and consistently, that is simply not what they are doing. They are throwing lead at a rifle and hoping the law of averages gets them one on target.

Now, were it a 1 or even 2 moa sized target, that would impress me more but one can hardly call 4 moa with a couple accidental hits, precision shooting. Simply not possible at that range with that combo. Nothing against Cheytac chamberings or equipment but they are making this look like someone can get one of these rifles and have 2 mile reach, just to be clear, THAT IS NOT what will happen.

Regardless of the delivery system or number of people involved, ballistics is ballistics with a projectile in flight. It does seem the longer the range or harder the conditions the more enjoyment and satisfaction comes from making a hit on target. Of course reasonable certainty should be the fundamental goal when applied to harvesting animals.

Many times I have sat behind a howitzer after computing the ballistics solution for shots well over ten miles away. Same physics and computations required but with more room for accuracy inconsistency due to errors compounded by the time of flight. Coriolis while shooting these distances actually means something. After the shot there is time to take a few bites out of a sandwich followed by sips of Coke before impact. If quick enough another round or two can be shot before the first round impacts.

ELR shooting no matter what form or venue is FUN. Much can be taken from the experience of watching your solution fall apart the longer your projectile stays in flight. Shoot long, learn from it, and apply reasonable certainty when it's time to hunt.

Kirby.... You can launch a 308 pill that far if you put enough arc in it. Hitting something consistently, I don't think so.

Won't a platry .22 pill travel that far if unimpeded?

Kirby.... You can launch a 308 pill that far if you put enough arc in it. Hitting something consistently, I don't think so.

Won't a platry .22 pill travel that far if unimpeded?

That is my point, throwing a bullet to that range and precision shooting at that range are two completely different things. What they showed in the video is NOT precision shooting, its throwing bullets at a 144 square foot target and hoping to get a bullet on it so they can say the rifle is capable of 2 mile precision shooting. They did not prove that....

Not piling on , Just commenting.

At 3650 yards this is just a siege weapon for keeping someones head down Not precision shooting.

To me precision shooting is when a person can repeatably hit an object game size at there personal maximum distance and within the limits of the bullet ballistics.

In Texas we have a saying "Even a blind hog can find an acorn with enough time and luck" this was not skill and ask way to much of the rifle.

There is a limit to every cartridge/projectile and they exceeded that and proved nothing.

They were having fun but I don't think they sold anyone on there prowess.

Just a comment nothing personal.

J E CUSTOM

Oh boy.... now ya gone and done it Ed!!! Needed a little excitemnt with your coffee this morning? :rolleyes:

Wish they said what bullet and velocity they shooting? Here is the best case scenario I can come with. 425 gr CEB (1.0 BC) @ 3200 fps (like Kiwi Greg's load) @ 6500" elevation. That get's them to 3650 yds just before going transonic.

That get's them to 3650 yds just before going transonic.

To some there is training value with shooting a projectile to the extent of a stable ballistic profile. At times precision may not be the goal but rather learning from the effects of multiple environment conditions and hit probability, even though low, all while under changing conditions. If this is a goal the sure way to confirm is to shoot it. In this case no doubt consistency is difficult if not impractical and hit probability will be low.

As such, I personally would not choose a similar ballistics capable cartridge for this type of range experience. Too expensive for me for the training value and too difficult to verify impacts. I'll stick to my 308 and 1400 yards for this purpose. Both to me would have similar training value, one is just more conducive. And for others, to each his own.

To some there is training value with shooting a projectile to the extent of a stable ballistic profile. At times precision may not be the goal but rather learning from the effects of multiple environment conditions and hit probability, even though low, all while under changing conditions. If this is a goal the sure way to confirm is to shoot it. In this case no doubt consistency is difficult if not impractical and hit probability will be low.

As such, I personally would not choose a similar ballistics capable cartridge for this type of range experience. Too expensive for me for the training value and too difficult to verify impacts. I'll stick to my 308 and 1400 yards for this purpose. Both to me would have similar training value, one is just more conducive. And for others, to each his own.

My guess is their bullets were going transonic well before 3650 yds which would make precision shooting difficult to say the least, depending how well the particular bullet handled the transition.

I think they were out there to have some fun and make a video showing them hitting something a 2 miles, event though it was the size of a bran door.

I would love to have weapon like that, but would not waste powder and projectiles any farther than I could shoot it with some amount of precision and predictability.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.