3650 yards target nailed !!!

Interesting. traveling in the Lear at almost the speed of sound, you really don't notice the speed, especially with plenty of Crown Royal....:)

Flights are always quick but airports are slow unless you land at a private field, thats not bad. problem is, most private fields don't have enough runway to get airborne on or land on.

Lears do have a 'chute in the tail but it's a one time use and costs 10 grand.

I guess what I'm driving at is I wonder how going from supersonic to transonic impacts the bullet in it's flight path. There has to be turbulence just like in the Lear.

Pretty obvious to me that the guys shooting in the OP's post were just out for a good time.

It's no more impressive than hitting a 100 yard target with a Glock 19. You can do it, but not with precision and not every single time. Hardly "skill". Windage, spin drift, and coreolis effect at that range would have you doping close to most scope limits. I shoot my 7mm Rem Mag with a Leupold 6.5x20x 50mm LR scope with ballistics reticle and I've never taken a shot at game past 740 yards. I know my gun is capable beyond that distance, but I have to consider my ability as well as making a clean, humane shot that drops the animal.

I don't want to take away from a legit shot because I couldn't take that shot in a million years. There isn't a gun I can handle where that would be a "smart" shot. Largest I have shot is 50 cal BMG at 1200 yards. With over 1,700 yards in a mile, I just say, "Wow."

My next dream rig is a .338 Lapua. Now I'll take a 900+ yard shot with that!

I've never taken a shot at game past 740 yards. I know my gun is capable beyond that distance

I agree with your comments on keeping limits to within reasonable capability.

Every one of the rifles I have used to harvest big game or used to assist others with their harvest have a "capable" distance far beyond the range the animals were actually taken. My choice of practice and field experience includes ranges beyond reasonable certainty for a high probability of a hit for a specific sized target. If you train very hard for the half mile race with a goal to complete with a good quarter mile time, when it's time to run the quarter mile there should be no doubt your time will be outstanding. Learn from this experience and apply reasonable certainty when it's time to hunt. Shoot confident, shoot smart, shoot straight.....and practice long.

I think Kirby is spot on...this video was a disappointment. Maybe it has some R&D type value, but beyond that what does it prove, other than the fact that bullets can travel 2 miles.

I'd get a lot more out of a video of a guy making a 1500 yard first round hit in an 8 inch bull with a legal hunting rifle under difficult wind conditions, especially if he described his wind doping techniques.

I think Kirby is spot on...this video was a disappointment. Maybe it has some R&D type value, but beyond that what does it prove, other than the fact that bullets can travel 2 miles.

I'd get a lot more out of a video of a guy making a 1500 yard first round hit in an 8 inch bull with a legal hunting rifle under difficult wind conditions, especially if he described his wind doping techniques.

Amen!

[QUOTE

I guess what I'm driving at is I wonder how going from supersonic to transonic impacts the bullet in it's flight path. There has to be turbulence just like in the Lear.

Pretty obvious to me that the guys shooting in the OP's post were just out for a good time.[/QUOTE]

That there be the problem!! I have yet to prove to myself that any bullet fired from a shoulder fired weapon we have access to will pass through this phase with consistency on the back side. Working on proving the Berger 300 but as of yet have not proven it but also have not disproven it.

It's no more impressive than hitting a 100 yard target with a Glock 19. You can do it, but not with precision and not every single time. Hardly "skill". Windage, spin drift, and coreolis effect at that range would have you doping close to most scope limits. I shoot my 7mm Rem Mag with a Leupold 6.5x20x 50mm LR scope with ballistics reticle and I've never taken a shot at game past 740 yards. I know my gun is capable beyond that distance, but I have to consider my ability as well as making a clean, humane shot that drops the animal.

I don't want to take away from a legit shot because I couldn't take that shot in a million years. There isn't a gun I can handle where that would be a "smart" shot. Largest I have shot is 50 cal BMG at 1200 yards. With over 1,700 yards in a mile, I just say, "Wow."

My next dream rig is a .338 Lapua. Now I'll take a 900+ yard shot with that!

Not sure the topic of big game hunting needs to be brought into this post as no one in the original post mentioned anything about big game hunting at anywhere near these ranges, If I recall correctly.

I have no problem pushing things to the limits, been doing it for 10 years now trying to find a better mouse trap to add 100 yards max range here and another 100 there trying new things and when your trying to push the envelope using something in the class of the Cheytac chamberings, your going to be dealing with some good range.

I have no problem with this in an any way, this is how we advance our sport. Improving max range limitations with new technology generally does nothing but improve performance over the entire range of performance so that is a great thing.

My feelings are that in this day and age, its so easy to take some raw video, cut and paste the video and edit it to make a point someone wants to make without the facts supporting the edited video results. Its easy to take something that DOES NOT support the point your trying to make in the real world and twist it, edit it and turn it into something that APPEARS to fully support your point of view.

Failures are just as valuable to advancing our sport as successes are but seldom do people report the failures. Not sure why, may be ego, may be a belief that if you admit a failure, it diminishes the persons EXPERT status, which is foolish at best.

I can not say for sure what actually happened on the actual video but showing one or possibly two hits on a 144 square foot target at this range is not all that impressive to me and shows nothing towards consistant performance at that range. As I have mentioned before, my views of consistant performance may vary from many out there but I think they are shared by most on LRH.

Not sure the topic of big game hunting needs to be brought into this post as no one in the original post mentioned anything about big game hunting at anywhere near these ranges, If I recall correctly.

I have no problem pushing things to the limits, been doing it for 10 years now trying to find a better mouse trap to add 100 yards max range here and another 100 there trying new things and when your trying to push the envelope using something in the class of the Cheytac chamberings, your going to be dealing with some good range.

I have no problem with this in an any way, this is how we advance our sport. Improving max range limitations with new technology generally does nothing but improve performance over the entire range of performance so that is a great thing.

My feelings are that in this day and age, its so easy to take some raw video, cut and paste the video and edit it to make a point someone wants to make without the facts supporting the edited video results. Its easy to take something that DOES NOT support the point your trying to make in the real world and twist it, edit it and turn it into something that APPEARS to fully support your point of view.

Failures are just as valuable to advancing our sport as successes are but seldom do people report the failures. Not sure why, may be ego, may be a belief that if you admit a failure, it diminishes the persons EXPERT status, which is foolish at best.

I can not say for sure what actually happened on the actual video but showing one or possibly two hits on a 144 square foot target at this range is not all that impressive to me and shows nothing towards consistant performance at that range. As I have mentioned before, my views of consistant performance may vary from many out there but I think they are shared by most on LRH.

It is as fake as it gets...I totally agree with every line in this post..You nailed it..

Come on guys I maid this shot many times..... In a M1A1 Tank when I was in the Marine Corps!:rolleyes: I tell you with a 50 power FEPP and a 16 or so pound Sabot with three feet of powder behind it and some high end computers helping still was tough! The guy in the video looks like a guy that was on a "Sons of Guns" show where Will maid him a couple of suppressed .50 cals for his sniper school.

Sick UM' :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.