338 Win Mag elk packing setup

Bob L.

Got a 338 win mag build in the works to go with my 338edge. I have points in NV and Utah for elk, and some for Bison in Utah so I thought it woul dbe nice to have a rifle that doesnt way 15-16lbs like my edge.

My brother in law talked me out of my 338WSM project for a little more horsepower in the 338 win mag. After being on my dad's NV elk hunt hiking and taking 400-700 yard shots might be on the menu. This is what I have and am thinking to get.

Donor Rem 700 LA trued-I own. with tuned factory trigger or maybe try a shilen
Broughton #4 contoured 338 barrel-Ordered
Bell and Carlson Alaska TI stock, think they come in at 26-30oz-Ordered
Leupold 3x10 maybe with a B&C reticle and cds dial.
I am highly interested in trying the 210 sciroccos for more velocity and flat shooting out to 700 yards.

Any guesses of what it might weigh in at? Anyone else enjoy the 338 win mag for a packing elk rifle. I like the idea of the 338 because of being able to shoot 180-250 grain bullets for elk or bison etc lots of options.

Thanks
Bob

That is very similar to a .300 Jarrett I had built several years ago. That rifle weighed an even 7 lbs without scope. It was pushing 200 gr. bullets at an average 3028 fps. With a brake it was not bad to shoot. I had a .338 Win. built by MG Arms several years ago as well. It was an ultra-light, but again, with the brake it was not bad shooting 250 gr. bullets. The rifle was crap, but that is a different story.

It is an excellent choice and I have a Tikka t-3 light for that purpose weighing 6-3/8 pounds. It does not have a brake and recoil is not a problem at all with that rifle with bullets up to 225 grains. No need to shoot a heavier bullet in the 338 winchester. The 225 Cutting Edge .64 bc bullet at around 2950 fps is the best I have found for the 338 winchester. It is a 1000 yard+ hunting rifle with that load in it. I have taken animals to 800 yards with the barnes 185 grain at 3220 fps with excellent results.

Grew up in the age of the 338 win being a popular elk round. Lots of friends still shoot it, seen many elk fall to 338.

Thanks for the replys thinking about trying imr4350 or rl19 with those 210 sciroccos, what do you think?

Seems like a reasonable place to start. IMR4350 works better in mine than RL19, H100V and H4831 with 225 grain NAB's. (FWIW)

Those would be two of the best powders for the 210 swift. I will look at my loads with it because that is what I shot mostly until I found the 225 CE bullets. I will give you a bargain on some 210 swifts if you need some. I think I have at least two boxes. They perform great on game and have a high bc for a 210. I shot them over 3000 fps out of my 338 winny's.

LTLR,
I would be interested in them for sure let me know or pm me. Thanks for looking up your data with them as well. That would be great!
Thanks

They are 100 to a box. I have two full boxes I paid about $65 per box for at midway plus shipping on top of that. Will sell for $50 per box and I pay shipping.

Some of my best loads with that bullet were 72 grains H-414, 74 grains I-4350 and 75 grains RE19. Those were max loads in my rifles so work up.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.