264 win mag for elk?

A 1:9 twist wont stabilize the 156's.
Yes, I get that consensus from the group on the 156s and have not even tried those. Maybe if I re-barrel but found that the 129/130 gr bullets are lights out for accuracy. I did some testing on 140 ABs, 140 SSTs, 140 Partitions and 143 ELD-Xs with hot and cold results. The 143 ELD-Xs shot best at 300 and 400 but that's as all the range I had available.

Yes, I get that consensus from the group on the 156s and have not even tried those. Maybe if I re-barrel but found that the 129/130 gr bullets are lights out for accuracy. I did some testing on 140 ABs, 140 SSTs, 140 Partitions and 143 ELD-Xs with hot and cold results. The 143 ELD-Xs shot best at 300 and 400 but that's as all the range I had available.
140 elite hunter if your looking at the 156. It should stabilize in your 1-9 I ran it in my 6.5 saum before I got the 156 to shoot. The 140 elite kills no different than then 156. No issues putting it into an elk. I had way more consistent results than the 143eldx (my opinion on eldx is only based on 2 animals so don't let it shy you away, it's just an opinion. Loads of folks have had good success with them).

If your going to mono metal don't rule out hammer hunters.

You have plenty of rifle to get the job done. Just know the limits of your rifle bullet combo and enjoy the hunt!

Berger's twist recommendation is 1:8" or faster. I have 1:7" on mine. What velocity and altitude did you use to calculate your SG?
You are correct, guess I should have looked at the box first Lol Thanks for catching that

Although the 135 classic hunter shows 1-8 min the stability calculator shows stable in 1-9 at 3100 and average altitude/atmospherics (1.62 factor).

If it shoots in your 264, it could be a viable high bc option. Animal won't notice a difference on the 5 grains.

I'm late to this thread, but there should be no hesitation to kill elk with a .264 as long as you're not hitting the edges. Use a bullet that upsets violently, keep impact velocity above 2k fps - bad medicine for any critter.