300 Win Mag.........................Perfect for Elk?

I thought this was about the 300 Win Mag. and elk. I feel like I need to go to get some product from Adam & Eve before I come back in here. Is that Dueling Banjos I hear playing? Yes the "Texas Heart shot" can be very deadly but I don't want to clean one out with the bullet going through intestines and stomach before lungs/heart. Luckily never gut shot one but I have nicked the stomach with my knife field dressing. That made me gag and puke and I use to pick up dead critters for a living so I have a pretty strong stomach.

The question ended with "perfect for elk"! Elk are hunted from sea level to over 10,000 feet. From desert to rain forest. From early Nevada hunts, where I about got knocked over by a guy that bought the entire contents of a quick stop ice machine to cool out his recent kill, to Montana where I had a thermos bottle freeze on the floor board of a truck with the heater on. Gregg (the OP) usually produces a thread that often generates more heat than light, so I'll turn it back to you Gregg, my apologies if its more info than you needed. PS Probably not Dueling Banjos, but Foggy Mountain Breakdown, and Shady Grove are on my play list so it could have been me. So Doc Watson, and Earl Scruggs wherever you are, forgive him please, he can't put his fingers in his ears cause he's got to keep pulling his britches up, and the thumping base with no ear protection has left him tone deaf! Thats my last word on it.

This is how it must be for top gun 30-06.
1=animal must be stopped and broad side and not past 200 yards.
2=ears must not move ,,no blinking eyes ,,tail cannot wag.
2=no wind ,,perfect light ,, not to cold or hot ,,no overcast sky ,,and no rain.
3=NO *** SHOTS,,NO HEAD SHOTS ,BY THIS I MEAN A SHOT JUST BEHIND THE EAR WHERE THE NECK ATTACHES TO THE HEAD.
4=bottom line...you can kill a elk with a 243 but I prefer any of my 300,or 338 cal.
You can kill it with a head,,or ***, or ,gut ,shot and I have used all...For a gie that has waited,, stacked up points in a state and drew that tag and a monster bull comes into view,,the thought process is to put that animal on the ground now and the humane lines goes out the door...Same goes for your winter meat,,kill it and put it in the freezer..Every situation is different and with elk hunting or any other animal for that matter things change fast and you must take the shot that fills the freezer.. I only needed to use the *** shot one time ,but I did and with a 338/378 weatherby mag the elk went down on the spot.:)lightbulbgun)

. PS Probably not Dueling Banjos, but Foggy Mountain Breakdown, and Shady Grove are on my play list so it could have been me. So Doc Watson, and Earl Scruggs wherever you are, forgive him please, he can't put his fingers in his ears cause he's got to keep pulling his britches up, and the thumping base with no ear protection has left him tone deaf! Thats my last word on it.

Apparently you missed my reference to Ned Beatty in Deliverance. lightbulb

As far as perfect for elk?...I personally would say no. I think my .50 T/C is perfect for elk until I get to take the Hoyt after them, but that is just me :D.

My favorite elk cartridge will always be a 338 win mag loaded with 225 - 250 grain bullets. I think the larger frontal diameter of the bullet seems to really anchor elk quickly which can really help when you are hunting in nasty terrain. They fall right where you shoot them.

With that said my all around hunt-everything long range gun is a 300 win mag. I think the label I would give the 300 is the most versatile cartridge for all North American big game.

That's my $0.02.

Here is my .02 cents on the 300 for elk since that is what I shoot. My 300 weights 10lbs and is break'd. It kicks no worse than a 243 and I shoot it well.
I only reload two different bullets for it, the 215 berger and 200 barnes lrx. Haven't killed an elk with the berger yet, but will give that a shot this year. Both bullets shoot very very well and the reason for the lrx is that we have some stupid rules in certain areas of kalifornia but would not hesitate to use them any day. My last elk with the 200lrx was a hard quartering, went in behind front shoulder exited about the last rib on opposite side. It only took a few steps before dropping.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.