Attachments

• IMG_2416.JPG
    IMG_2416.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 278
  • IMG_8266.JPG
    IMG_8266.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 285
Last edited:
HEY Rodney dats a 300 win/mag we can read , dis is a 338 win/mag thread fred! lol great bull , Junglebird give us an UPDATE how'd they fly at 500 ? thks clocks tickin ...

HEY Rodney dats a 300 win/mag we can read , dis is a 338 win/mag thread fred! lol great bull , Junglebird give us an UPDATE how'd they fly at 500 ? thks clocks tickin ...

Sorry for posting in 338 Win Mag Thread...

3115 FPS at Muzzle worked up loads over last Christmas Zero is 200 yards we long range shoot 18 in" Gong @1000 yards for practice. 9/10 I hit 18" gong at 1000 yards. We do not us a chrono to figure bullet drop or FPS we use our zero then go out closer and further ranges and utilize data points based on rise and drop to plot bullet trajectory. We believe this is more accurate.

As all Long Range Shooters know guns like different work ups so powder, primer, case, bullet seating its all key as you know.

We set up where we knew the big ones were son ran the numbers for wind and range Triggernometry and doped the scope, the rest is in the books for an awesome protein Harvest!

Awesome quick reference chart son made for loads gun loves! #Browning#HellsCanyon #XBolt #Hornady 200 grain #ELDX #VortexViper 20 MOA rings. Thanks to my sons Zack , Bill Mitani & Weston Lamar Young for pretty much guiding me on an awesome limited entry hunt. (See Attached)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nSxu0mZXoYvpW0z5K5T2XBTjukG_xN8h

Attachments

• IMG_8314.JPG
    IMG_8314.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 233
I wasn't able to shoot at 500yrds. My friend decided not to let me shoot there for safety reasons. I did shoot at 300 with satisfactory results. I'm told the location I'm going to be hunting in doesn't have many opportunities past 300. So I guess that will do. I leave next week, hopefully I have some results to share when I get back.

I wasn't able to shoot at 500yrds. My friend decided not to let me shoot there for safety reasons. I did shoot at 300 with satisfactory results. I'm told the location I'm going to be hunting in doesn't have many opportunities past 300. So I guess that will do. I leave next week, hopefully I have some results to share when I get back.
Aim Small Miss Small!

I've seen bad results with the 7mm 195 EH. 2 deer at 720 ish no exit. 2 shots to put down. Elk at 300 behind the shoulder it didn't even flinch like it didn't get hit!! Put another one behind the other shoulder and it stood there like nothing happened ! Loaded 3rd round and it started to wobble and finally fell over. No blood on the hide or the snow. Found one very small fragment of bullet boattail on rib. No penetration, like the jackets are too fragile?? 7 Saum pushing them 2970. Shoot awesome out to 2000 yards on steel but not working for hunting!! Always had good luck with the accubonds. Never had to shoot anything twice, but like the way the Bergers shoot past 1000.

Another vote for Nosler Accubonds in the .338. I shoot a RUM and a 33 Nos, but I've hammered more than a dozen elk out to 700 yards with the 250 Accubond and never had to shoot one twice.

Just got back from Colorado. We got two bulls and two cows. So our group tagged out. I shot a 4x5 bull with a high shoulder hit at 150 yrds with the 225 TTSX and it dropped in its tracks. Bullet had a complete pass through. There was very minimal meat damage too. We had a blast, and it was a memorable 1st elk hunt for me.

Personal opinion here. I can see no reason to shoot bullets lighter than 225 for elk from a .338. Lighter bullets give better all round performance in .30 cal. I prefer 250's. IMO the .338 is meant to shoot relatively heavy bullets, hit like a ton of bricks, and give superior penetration.

I had great success with the 185 XLC/ 338 winMag on a huge cow elk years ago. She was up on a knife ridge, about a 60deg angle right at 250yds ( ranged it later). I popped her low, tight against the front leg and she hopped once and fell. Big hole all the way through! I also used the 180 NAB/338 RUM on a big aoudad. Same big hole all the way through. So, yeah, I like heavy bullets for caliber but "sometimes" I like to use a faster bullet. My current 338WM has yet to be shot...still waiting on time & money...but soon I will get to wring it out. I'm going to start with the 200gr NBT and 58gr H4895...kinda like 338/06 speeds. I also won't load the 250 past 2500fps. No need to go faster where I hunt. I "may" try a hot 250 load later, but not at first. Its a slimmed/trimmed Mod 77 tang safety, pretty light.

.....I also used the 180 NAB/338 RUM on a big aoudad. Same big hole all the way through. So, yeah, I like heavy bullets for caliber but "sometimes" I like to use a faster bullet.......

Good to hear a result on larger game. I use that for my rock chuck load. Once on an antelope, every once in awhile too much of a good thing is possible.

I find antelope to be dainty little things, I don't think it would take much to to tear them up. I have used the 280AI with the Speer 160HC and the 150 NBT; the 6mm/284 and the 90 NBT; 300WM and the 180 NBT; 6.5/284 with both the 125PT/120NBT on seven antelope....all were pretty well bruised up. Furthest one shot was right at 350yds, the closest one was 75yds. Now, I'm sure a 45 colt and a hard cast 250gr going about 750-800fps would ruin less/bruise less, ha.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.