Elk bullet for 338 win mag?

Old thread, but wanted to follow up on the Ruger 77 .338WM. It was one of those with a very poor/cheap outsourced barrel they used make! I could barely keep it on paper at 100yds! its "best" group was about 5-6" with a 250 AB. I sold it that same day! I also a nice Mod 70 FWT 7x57 at the same time. It too was a lemon! It got sold right alongside the Ruger!

I took the money and watched/waited on Gunbroker. I wanted to go back to the Remington 700 Classic, preferably the 80's years. I wanted one in any standard LA caliber (25-06 and up) and one in 338 , 35 Whelen or .375H&. First one I found was listed as just "Model 700" at a modest price. I checked it out and it was a Classic! It was in .270 Winchester. Now, I've owned/shot/had built and gave to family many 270s, but never used one much in the field. I bought it. I sent it off and had it Pillar Bedded/floated and a Trigger Tech added. I then saved a little more money and found a "never fired", "brand new" made in 1987 .338WM. It was more money, but I had never had a Classic in .338, so went for it. I had it also Pillar Bedded/floated, a Limbsaver pad put on and another Trigger Tech. Now I have a "matched pair". So far I haven't had a chance to shoot the Magnum, but the 270W shoots the 110PH and 130 Hornady SP sub MOA at 100. I just started working with them. I have never had a Classic that I could not get to shoot. I did try one in 7mm Mauser that had been screwed up by "Bubba the Idiot" who tried to put a Wisner Mod 70 safety on it and just screwed it up so bad I sold it for a song to someone who wanted to mess with it. Then I saw the aforementioned Model 70 FWT 7x57 and got suckered into it, ha. So NOW, I'm booked for a late season cow elk hunt in 2019/early 2020. It will depend on when the snow drives them down more. I'm going to use the 338 with whatever medium/heavy bullet I get it to shoot well and the 270 with a 130 TTSX as backup. ( I have had a few rifle/scope issues that a spare rifle saved me time/money/hunt)

A couple of years ago, I drew a NV cow tag. I was so busy at work that I did not have time to do much prep, so I grabbed my M70 in .270 and grabbed my hand loaded 130 nosler BT. I did not even have time to verify zero. Fired one bullet that trip and dropped a huge cow elk. Complete pass through, lung shot. I have a .338 WM purposely for elk but have not used it yet on anything, but paper targets.

I have a young friend who uses his stock factory 700 BDL/270W and Federal Fusion 150s every year. Mule deer and elk. Its very popular here.
I finally got to the range with my 338. I did very well with one load R17/210 but it was "outstanding" with the 250 AB & PTs! The .270 also was phenomenal with R26/160PT and N560/150PT. Both right at 2950fps! Both rifles have the long throat that was typical of the 80's era Remington's. Suits me right down to the ground! :)

The 338 Win mag loves the Hornady 225 flat base bullets, or lease the five that I have does including the 338 rum

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.