264 WM for elk

Thanks guys, I'll have to load some of each.
Any input on the scope? I have my eye on a couple Leupolds....butI'm not opposed to another brand if the quality is equivalent, I'd like to keep it under $700
VX 3i 6.5-20 x 40 side focus
VX 3i 4.5-14 x 40 side focus
you did not say where you are. either of those scopes are great

264 win mag pushing a 140 grain accubond at 3180 fps with reloader 33. I've never recovered a bullet and I've taken antelope, mule deer and elk. fantastic yet overlooked cartridge. I'm shooting a pre 64 Mod 70 26" Westerner....1/2" MOA. My go to gun for just about anything.

Thanks again guys. Ronin- I am in Ky, will be hunting in SW Montana.
I've currently got 3 loads I'm pretty happy with....140 Berger VLD's, 140 Gamekings, 140 Interlocks. The partitions wouldn't ever give me a decent group. I've also got some 143 ELD-X projectiles coming. The above 3 loads are pretty similar in terms of accuracy as well as velocity ~2950 fps, so my next question is performance. I've got a couple different areas we may hunt depending on where we find them, one area I won't have a shot over 200, another I am prepared for 3-400 yards. I'm assuming I'll be fine with any of the 4 projectiles 0-400?? I've never shot the Bergers before and the others I've just killed deer with. I'm leaning towards the Bergers and the Gamekings. Any comments?

Edit: made another charge with the bergers....have them at 3130 now and shooting sub moa

Last edited:
222...............your 264 is a great choice for a western elk hunt. I have killed between 200 and 400 large animals with this cartridge in both hunting and culling. Much that has been written about the 264 is either less than optimal or flat out wrong. It is easy to load for, and much more potent than the 270. I used 74 grains H870 and a Federal 215 with a 140 grain Hornady Spire Point and it was surprisingly effective...used many other loads as well...velocity was initially 3085 but gradually went down to about 3040 as the throat eroded. 24" bbl. I am an old man now....technology in bullets and scopes has improved over the years.....but the 264 with the old Leupold 3X9 would still be fine for elk.....their technology is unchanged....good hunting......FWB

I've been following this thread because I just finished a 264wm build. Still no trigger time on it. I have same moderate loads ready for break in...but I'm see most of you guys are over published max. I've also noticed most load data is showing their max loaded around 75% of case capacity.

This will be my primary deer gun this season, but plan to use it for a exotic sheep hunt in January so I want to load some more durable bullets for it. I really like Accubond and hope they will work fine on Aoudad.

I like cases loaded to at least to 90% capacity.

Question:
What powders are you guys getting fuller powder charges with?

My rifle is a Savage that I set the chamber/headspace pretty tight.

Captn..................your observation is right on..............manuals often list many poor powder choices for the overlooked 264, then comment on the modest results. One casual look at the case tells us that powders at least as slow as 4350, and a lot slower with big bullets, will give better density of charge, and better velocities. I used H4831 then went to 7828 as it came on the market. Retumbo and Re 25 will be likely candidates for my next loads with the 142 MKHP....................good shooting......FWB

I love my .264. I use a stiff charge of retumbo with 140 berger hunting vlds and cci magnums. Velocity is 3080fps. This combo has taken several antelope, mule deer and elk. Terminal performance has been good. I have moved to 30 cal for elk but that is to extend my range. You will be fine with your set up.
Kyle

Well the hunt was tough but I was fortunate enough to fill my tag. The elk were wayyyyy back from camp. Didn't see an elk for the first 3 days. Found them on day 4, and we were pretty optimistic about day 5. Rode in and came across a small herd, with a decent 5 point, for me anyways as this is only my second elk, and ended up getting a shot at only 75 yards. The 264 was absolutely lights out, double lung with the Berger 140, and he was motionless in less than 10 seconds. I've never seen so much internal devastation from a bullet, which I found just under the hide on the opposing side. I'll weigh the bullet and post another pic later of it. Great week in the mountains and I can't wait to return in a couple years. Got the freezer full and now I just have to deal with the depression of being back in the office.

0C53B4A1-3D4D-4924-92B0-FDB1FB15A39F.png

222, congratulations on a successful hunt. Nice testimonial on Berger performance up close. Your bullet/caliber combo performed excellently just as many had predicted.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.